Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I adore Wordpress. I've used it for maybe half a dozen personal sites, and half a dozen client sites. Like Ned said, out of the box it is definitely somewhat limited, so you have to be comfortable loading in plugins or updating snippets of code in their PHP files to get it to do what you need to do.

I've always been tempted to check out Expression Engine, if only because some of the larger clients I've spoken to are hesitant about Wordpress because they think of it just as a blogging platform. I recently had a client call up and spend a half hour asking if Wordpress could do about 25 different things, and the answer was yes to 24 of them (though probably about 15 required hacks or plugins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Very cool to see that even Time uses Wordpress. I'll have to remember that next time I'm trying to convince a client that Wordpress is a viable option.

I just spoke with a client today who has tons of content they want migrated into Wordpress. Unfortunately I've found content migration into Wordpress always a bit lacking. They're specifically looking to migrate from the Typo3 CMS. Any experience moving data over from that? I did find a few Google results which might prove promising.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

Ok, I have a few sort of general questions. Yall have convinced me to use wordpress for the one client I keep talking about.

1) Is there anything I can't do in a wordpress template that I can do with pure html/css? I mean form a site layout perspective.

2) I have several things the client needs to be able to update and several that they do not. Stuff they need to update include their bio's (there's like 4 total), a blog, and an "about us" page. Theres some other pages with directions and stuff that never need to change. In order to build this thing am I better off making each of the bios and stuff a page? I'm reading over all of the wordpress template documentation now so I'm not sure if I'm approaching it correctly yet.

1) Not that I can think of. A template is of course just HTML/CSS sprinkled (or drowned) with Wordpress code to let you insert dynamic content.

2) Yes, the bios would be pages, and the blog would contain posts.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ned posted:

If you use Thesis I will never answer your questions. The guy is a douche and it is mostly an MLM.

Funny, I came in here to bitch about Thesis and saw this.

A client who I fired, in essence, hired a new "internet guru" to design them a new site. Which basically involved her installing a Thesis theme. So I'm assisting with taking their current site, which I designed in Wordpress from scratch, and trying to jam it into this Thesis theme.

What the gently caress is Thesis anyway? A way for people who don't know anything about customizing Wordpress to be able to do some more advanced customization? Because all I know is I'm trying to do something like oh, I don't know, have a page use a different template and now apparently I have to develop special filters and hooks and god knows what else just to use a drat template.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I've scanned the thread and didn't see anything so far.

Client wants a page where users must log in to access/download files. "Free Downloads – Need to Register before accessing downloads. Need to log in when accessing this section each time the site is visited but should not prompt multiple log-ins when viewing the site and returning to this section."

Can anyone recommend such a plugin? (WP 3.0)

I use one called User Access Manager that works pretty well, and I believe should do what you need.

EDIT: Oops. Just noticed it's been two weeks.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hah, yeah, that's all been pretty funny.

I did finally figure out how to modify that Thesis theme by the way. It was stunning, how incredibly complicated it was to figure out how to make a CUSTOM TEMPLATE. It took 30 minutes of searching their forum to figure it out.

So that guy can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Two "best practice" questions:

1) Is there a standard for what to do for pages that aren't actual pages but are there just as parents, for navigation purposes? For example I have a Products page with several children, but the Products page itself doesn't have anything. But it'll still be visible to search engines or to anyone who goes to that page directly. Same with setting a page as the home page, I suppose. Best thought I have so far is to modify the htaccess to redirect requests to that page, but then I have to keep that file up to date every time I add pages like that.

2) One area Wordpress really seems to lack in is customized page templates. Like say I want a page with two columns. Only way I can seem to do that is have the actual CSS code to create those columns inside the page itself in Wordpress. Meaning if someone, say, deleted everything in the page, it'd delete all the column code. They also can't see what it looks like without previewing it. Ideally I'd like to have two edit boxes, and then have the CSS hidden in the template.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tonelok posted:

That is probably the best way to handle #1, although you might find a plugin or a bit of code that can generate an index based on child pages.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but customized page templates are easy and even the garden variety themes come with at least a couple.

Don't have the CSS for the second column located on the page itself. Have the CSS for the second column located in your style.css, and have the second column be like secondcolumn.php which is called by page.php or whatever you have it named.

It's easy to have multiple columns and page templates, with CSS staying within style.CSS

Look at 2010 which comes with WordPress 3 - it was a full width page and a page with a column.

If I'm understanding you correctly though, wouldn't I need two separate pages then? Like left column and right column?

I'm also talking about two columns not in terms of a sidebar and main content area, but two columns within the actual main content area - like two authors lined up side by side.

I think the page explains a solution to the problem. They use the <!--nextpage--> tag to distinguish between the two columns and then use PHP to display the content correctly.

http://www.darrenhoyt.com/2008/10/21/wordpress-as-a-cms-making-your-content-unbreakable/

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crossposted from the Goons For Hire thread, but would love to find someone who does know Wordpress well as a lot of my work revolves around it:

Looking for someone with a flexible schedule who can help with occasional HTML, CSS, and (preferably) Wordpress work at my consulting company. Fairly straightforward stuff, there just sometimes gets to be a bit too much to handle.

If interested, please send any examples of work and your hourly rate to jon @ hellertechnology.com. Thanks!

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm about to take on a client which will probably be my biggest Wordpress site yet. Specifically, it's a magazine publisher with lots of archived issues, each of which has a column. Anyone have experience working with a publisher and organizing their content in Wordpress?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Weirdest Wordpress bug ever, and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered it before. It's probably happened a total of 5 times in the past several years of using Wordpress.

Basically, Wordpress decides it hates a certain word. I'll get a 404 error when making a new page or post. So I slowly paste in the content, bit by bit, until I get the error, then I break that piece down until I find the exact word that is causing it.

It's always a different word. It also doesn't have anything to do with a weird character or something funny getting pasted, since I've tried retyping it.

Anyone else experience something like this? I can't fathom the explanation for what would cause a bug like this either, and it's really difficult to explain to clients ("what do you mean I can't use that word?")

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I could use some help developing a custom page type, specifically for this layout:

I created a new post type, added a custom field for the subhead. I added custom fields for the images, though unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to actually select an image to put in those fields - instead the person has to paste the URL into it.

But the two text fields I'm not sure what to do with. Is it even possible to have multiple WYSIWYG editors?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lady Galaga posted:

Learn CSS, both images are easily aligned with float: left and right respectively.

Oh I know CSS. But this client wants everything to look exactly uniform on each post, hence he wants to create the page by filling out fields instead of a freeform WYSIWYG editor.

atastypie posted:

You can allow the images to be uploaded with the multiple post thumbnails plugin. Adds additional Featured Images for your custom post type.

Thanks, that would definitely help with the custom fields.

So it looks like I might have to finally tackle Expression Engine if I need pages like this, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pipebomb posted:

I need a new Mac editor that isn't Ecto or MarsEdit -what do you guys use? Hell, for Windows too for that matter...

I've spent the past few years switching between Textmate and Coda.