Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Sorry to bump this thread but I just found this really neat plugin: Custom Post Limits. It allows you to change the number of posts shown on the front page, archives and so on. I thought it might be useful so here it is.

You just install it and it works. No need to mess with the code or anything. It's very simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Just a heads up in case you guys don't know about this one: http://graphpaperpress.com/ has really awesome free themes for portfolios and whatnot.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Safe places to get free themes:

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/
http://www.woothemes.com/
http://graphpaperpress.com/
http://www.blogperfume.com/ (some are free, some aren't)

I'm pretty sure I have more links but I can't find them right now.

Avoid "free premium themes" because those are usually loaded with malicious code and unwelcome banner ads/affiliate links.

I'd still rather make my own themes anyway.

Edit: does anyone know when WP 3.0 is coming out? I'm loving the beta and can't wait to upgrade my site. Holy crap I just love the menu thing.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Is anyone here using Thesis? Is it worth the price?

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918

Ned posted:

If you use Thesis I will never answer your questions. The guy is a douche and it is mostly an MLM.
I was just wondering, really. I was looking for a theme that would just let me move stuff around/change the layout in a couple of clicks without me having to mess with the code. Someone mentioned Thesis and I was wondering how good it was.

Are there any free themes that would allow me to customize my layout (moving stuff around, etc -- not just changing the header/background image) without actually editing the template?

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
I found a good enough alternative for Thesis, it's called Atahualpa. I've been messing with it on localhost and it seems to do exactly what I need. I'm not a programmer, so this is very helpful.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Wow. Really glad I didn't buy Thesis now. What a jerk.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918

Midnight- posted:

Wow, Chris Pearson comes accross as a complete fucktard.
He's also not making any sense at all:

Chris Pearson posted:

However, I think any astute economic analysis of economic systems of the way businesses and economies actually work would very quickly notice that a GPL does some very inorganic things to what are otherwise organic systems. So, from a systemic standpoint, on a systemic level, I disagree with the way the GPL perpetuates economies.
I... uh... what? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Okay, you guys are my last hope.

First, I'm not a programmer. I can't write my own plugins or anything like that. If you post some PHP for me I won't understand any of it. :(

Anyway, I'm looking for a plugin that assigns categories to uploaded images. I think wordpress does that already, but there's nothing that would allow me to list thumbnails by category. I know there are gallery scripts but they are not what I'm looking for -- they are full of bells and whistles and poo poo I don't want.

Basically I'm setting up a portfolio/blog site and the home page has to be a static wordpress page with a list of thumbnails sorted by category. I don't want a set of albums for the user to choose from, but rather a page that looks like this:

code:
Artwork (RSS)

Category 1 
[thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

Category 2

Category 3

etc etc
Each thumbnail would just do a lightbox thing when clicked on.

I know I can do this manually, but I was hoping for a better solution. I'd like to be able to just upload an image, assign a category to it and have the thumbnail show up in the right place without having to edit anything.

Also, I would need the gallery to have an RSS feed.

I have a feeling that this is literally impossible to do but I thought I'd give it a try.

If it can't be done with WP, is there anything at all that will do this? I have looked at several image gallery scripts but they all have albums and sub albums and sub sub albums and comments and "rate this picture" and blah blah. I don't want any of that.