Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

With a DB of only 2.3MB there probably isn't a whole lot of content either. Potentially easier to just start fresh and import the old posts/pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm trying to make something like a "recent/upcoming product releases" widget for my page. Just an informational widget -- I'm not actually selling any of these products myself. I could do it all in shortcodes/HTML/CSS, but I don't want to have to update the code manually every time there's a new product, or remove old ones after a certain date has passed.

I've created a new post type using CPTUI and made fields for it with ACF (though it does seem strange that one plugin can't do both of these things). So the part of adding products and the necessary dates is done.
But... is there an easy way to display that data in a widget? Do I need to create one from scratch? I'm not a developer so HTML/CSS is pretty much all I can handle.

edit: failing that, if anyone has a recommendation for an event plugin, I guess it could be used for this

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 28, 2020

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

phpmyadmin -> choose your wordpress db -> search -> all tables will get you a pretty exhaustive list of stuff. No plugin necessary.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Maybe in the future shortcodes will stop being supported in favor of Gutenberg/page builder blocks. But they work fine for my purposes.
https://getshortcodes.com/docs/posts/

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I guess I was thinking that at a higher level, shortcodes and Gutenberg blocks occupy the same space: providing the user with code-light shortcuts to create elements on the page. If gutenberg blocks end up getting supported in widgets -- which looks to be already in the works -- then I could see shortcodes being phased out over time. But given the huge number of plugins that rely on shortcodes for implementation, that probably won't happen any time soon.

Widgets and sidebars themselves are sort of an old-school concept, but hell, I still have one on my site :shrug:

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 5, 2020

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Is there a thread or recommended place to hire a wordpress freelancer? I have a fairly simple task (create a full width post template) but don't really have the time to get into the nitty gritty of what's required, CSS-wise, to accomplish that given my page's theme. My theme even includes something like what I'm after, but it's only for a given screen width (tablets) and want to make some changes to it anyway.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

My contact form seems to have died sometime around August 2nd. I only noticed about a week ago. It collects data but no longer emails me the form results. So I have to go into the dashboard -> Feedback -> Form Responses to see what I received. Luckily I didn't miss anything hugely important, but it is how I receive most inquiries via my site.

Does this sound like a WP issue or something else? I'm running 6.0. Because it wasn't working, I tried converting the page from old-school block editor to Gutenberg, and change my email, but appears to have done nothing. If I could somehow identify what happened around August 2nd, like if I did a WP upgrade or plugin upgrade or something, it might help. Does WP keep a log like that somewhere? I may or may not have removed some plugin, but in that case, the form wouldn't work at all, correct?

If it matters, I still get other emails from WP, like the email subscription confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Jetpack, I guess. When I originally built the page it was the jetpack form inserted via classic editor.

https://jetpack.com/support/contact-form-classic-editor/

When I click Edit Page, it's showing in Gutenberg using the Classic block, including the form.
If I Convert to Blocks using Gutenberg it shows the form using the shortcode block.

code:
[contact-form to="mydumb@email.com" subject="website inquiry"][contact-field label="Name" type="name" required="1"][contact-field label="Email" type="email" required="1"][contact-field label="Inquiry Type" type="select" required="1" options="Personal,Business,Media,個人,企業・団体,メディア"][contact-field label="Message" type="textarea" required="1"][/contact-form]
I suppose I could try blowing away all of the old page content and just use bonafide Gutenberg blocks rather than classic/shortcode anything.