Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
What's the best way you have come up with for having custom PHP pages in Wordpress? I do not really like my method of creating a page template and then creating a blank page using that page template.

edit: to make it clear, I still want it to go through index.php and to have access to all WP functions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
It's actually best practice to include Javascript at the end of your body when possible so I tend to avoid the wp_enqueue_script method and just manually put a script tag at the end of the body using something like the following.
code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?= get_bloginfo('template_url') ?>/js/my_js.js"></script>

supster fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 7, 2009

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Guy LeDouche posted:

Found a good subscribe plugin. Thoughts? https://www.thefragfile.com
I generally prefer AddThis with a normal RSS link somewhere (with bloginfo('rss_url')).

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Guy LeDouche posted:

got addthis. look better? how do you add the RSS link? I'm new at coding. I'd like to have just the single RSS square up in the top right, to the left of the Home link. possible?
Something like this:
code:
<a href="<?php bloginfo('rss_url') ?>" title="Subscribe">RSS</a>
And you can style that any way you want to add an RSS icon or whatever you want.

edit: you should probably use rss2_url.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Ned posted:

I also created http://siegelgale.com/ with Wordpress.

I just noticed that pages under services are sending a bunch of requests (for images) resulting in a 404s that is slowing down the load a lot (4s+).

supster fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 29, 2009

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
The following scenario comes up a lot (with variations of course) and I usually just end up doing custom development for it instead of using Wordpress. However, I'd really like to start using Wordpress for sites like this so I'm here to see if there's a good solution for the following.

A lot of times clients want 80% static sites that have one or two dynamic pages. Wordpress is perfect for that 80%, but I don't know of a clean and maintainable way of doing the other 20%. Let's say it's a real estate company and they want to have a minimal database of their current listings. Just 4-5 fields and maybe an image. Is there a good way of doing this? Do I have to go down the route of plugins? Is it a bitch?

Before anyone says it, I understand that most of the time that could simply be done by having them create pages in a special category for each of the listings and then use a custom template to display those pages. I've done this many times before when appropriate, but a lot of times it's very limiting (say one of the fields is a price field and they want users to be able to filter between a certain price range).

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Twiin posted:

This isn't going to be out-of-the-box functionality for any CMS that isn't real estate or e-commerce focused. You can do some seriously heavy dynamic work with Wordpress, but it's going to require some code. There are a number of real estate listing plugins, I assume one of them would provide that functionality.
Real estate listings was simply an example. And if you reread my post I'm not even asking how to do this in Wordpress, but if there is a nice clean way to do it as I'm unhappy with all of the approaches I've taken in the past.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

NotShadowStar posted:

You can use the stuff I posted earlier for managing publications on a content-based website as a basis. It adds a control panel in the admin interface, and you need to create a custom page to spit out the content how you want it. Problem being, PHP is kind of a poo poo language and Wordpress doesn't help you much outside of Wordpress database functions, so you end up doing a lot of work.
Cool - that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

It looks like a bigger pain than it's worth, but good to know anyway.

edit: thanks too, Ned. That plugin looks like a good starting point.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

jackpot posted:

And just out of curiosity - and I know this is a bit of a bullshit question, with lots of variables like location, etc - how much would you folks charge for a ~15 page site, easy for the owner to edit, password-protected member section, and (I imagine) a few other little goodies like a contact form, etc? Redesigned (and reorganizing of old content) from the ground up, the current site is total poo poo. Just ballpark it if you can, and if you really want to make me cry, take a guess at the hours you'd put into it.
$1000-5000

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
You need to make a custom page template and put your code in there.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
This is a wild guess, but your session may be getting lost when you switch from HTTP to HTTPs. Does the user get logged out or anything?

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
This might not be what you're looking for at all since it's a hosted service, but I've heard really good things about Shopify - http://www.shopify.com/.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
You could always google around for some free bbPress themes that you like.
http://www.google.com/search?q=bbpress+themes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Anyone have any suggestions for a contact form plugin that can be called from a template file (e.g., with a php function)?

I tried Contact Form 7 as per Ned's suggestion and I love it - but it's kind of annoying have to use the [contact] shortcode stuff when my actual page content is blank and all in the template file. I really like how Contact Form 7 works though, very straight forward and easy to do settings.