Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

supster posted:

Before anyone says it, I understand that most of the time that could simply be done by having them create pages in a special category for each of the listings and then use a custom template to display those pages. I've done this many times before when appropriate, but a lot of times it's very limiting (say one of the fields is a price field and they want users to be able to filter between a certain price range).

This isn't going to be out-of-the-box functionality for any CMS that isn't real estate or e-commerce focused. You can do some seriously heavy dynamic work with Wordpress, but it's going to require some code. There are a number of real estate listing plugins, I assume one of them would provide that functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

supster posted:

Real estate listings was simply an example. And if you reread my post I'm not even asking how to do this in Wordpress, but if there is a nice clean way to do it as I'm unhappy with all of the approaches I've taken in the past.

Each different example is going to have a different solution, is my point.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Low-to-mid thousands, depending on how complex the design/features are, how much work you want to put into the IA, if you need storyboards, how many design mockups, if you want illustrations/photography, if so, are you providing them, etc....

If you didn't want any of the web design process and just wanted a turnkey/quick-and-dirty wordpress site with an original design and a dozen random pages, then $1000 would probably do it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm looking to redesign and repurpose a site of mine. Basically its primary focus is an event calendar for card game tournaments in my area, and as of right now I'm using Wordpress for the site. I love Wordpress's admin side (yay Ajax!) but it's somewhat lacking as a CMS. Right now I'm using the Event Calendar plugin for it, which is great, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what the best event calendar they've ever used is. Ideally I'd like something that let users type in their name and click a button to publicly "pre-register" for the event so people can get an idea of who's going, how many people are going, etc. Separate fields for things like entry fee, date, time, etc. would be nice too. I'm open to suggestions!

I spent at least 20 hours looking at different event calendar plugins (and rolling my own) before I decided to just embed Google Calendar.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Ned posted:

No problem. I went to WordCamp NYC this weekend and was very happy to talk about WordPress all weekend long.

I wanted to head to that, but we had too much going on at work to send anyone. Was it amazing?

I have a ton of WP code that I want to release and Matt wanted to see it for inclusion in the core beforehand, but he's pretty much impossible to get a hold of.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

RobertKerans posted:

I'm just rebuilding a template for my website here. The way I've set it up is to have the post title there in the left column, and the content (always an image) on the right. But I'd like to add descriptive text that appears for the single posts, under the title in the left column. I assume I can make a custom field that'll pop the text there, but implementing it, and custom fields in general, are confusing the gently caress out of me. If anyone could give me some advice on it I'd be grateful

Use the 'excerpt' field in the editor with the_excerpt() tag in your template.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

RobertKerans posted:

I know that actually would work, if I didn't use the excerpt for the thumbnail on the index page and used something else to do that, then called for the excerpt on single post views at the correct point in the code. Maybe

This is getting to the answer I needed though, I don't think I phrased it very well (I need to call for the text part of every post at a different section of the single post view). It is the slightly dodgy naming conventions that have made this a little confusing to understand at times.

If I can't get it to work, or I can't get the latter to work and decide against falling back on excerps, I'll be back, thanks for the replies, apologies if it was a stupidly simple request

FYI, 2.9 (which comes out very soon) has built-in support for post-images and image-thumbnails. There are a lot of better ways to manage it in 2.8, though, than using the excerpt.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

jink posted:

Is there a way in WordPress to detect if a page ID is the static homepage ID?

I am creating nav/footer based on the page & sub page hierarchy but the homepage does not need to show up in these lists.

I know of the is_front_page() function but that only tells me if the currently displayed page is the front page, not if an arbitrary page ID is the home page.

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing, but maybe the Exclude Pages plugin might work for you?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Ziir posted:

It seems that when I put links in my posts, WordPress doesn't automatically place a target tag in the link so clicking on the link opens the link in the same window. If I'm linking within my site this makes sense, but when I'm linking out I'd like it to automatically add a target="newwindow" or something so that it opens in a new tab. Is there anything I can do to do this?

Also I finished my very first WordPress theme from scratch :woop:. It's the first time I've ever done any web coding and prior to this the only HTML tags I knew were <b> and <i> which apparently aren't even in use anymore.

Please don't. I want my browser to work the same on your site as it does everyone else's site. If I want the link in a new window I'll shift-click it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Ziir posted:

It's normal behavior for a link to an outside site to open inside the same window? I had no idea but then again I do instinctively middle click on links. Well scrap that then.

It breaks the back button, which sucks. And it can cause navigation problems with screen readers, which sucks. Let the user decide what happens to the link. You can always use CSS to make all external links have a little external-link-icon so that the users know.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The Merkinman posted:

Bumping this thread to see if anyone knows if this is possible.

Is there a plugin where the user has to search for all tags of a post?

Meaning if the tags are "Foo" and "Bar":
  • Searching for "Foo" AND "Bar", it would show up.
  • Searching for just "Foo" or just "Bar" would have it not show up.
  • Searching for "Foo" AND "Bar" AND "Baz", however, would.

That is a some really weird search logic there. I don't think you're going to find a plugin for that.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The Merkinman posted:

Yeah I know it's sort of the opposite of the way tags are supposed to work.

So I just give up on my idea? I have absolutely no clue how to code a plugin for WordPress.

What is the purpose behind it? What is it you're trying to accomplish with that?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The Merkinman posted:

Maybe it's already been done...

A friend had an idea where you could put in a list of what stuff you had in your kitchen and the results would be recipes that only used the ingredients you listed.

You might be late to the party.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

So a golf league I belong to around here is starting up a bag tag system. Which is where there are so many bag tags ranked 1 though 50 and people play each other and whoever wins takes the lower bag tag (1 being best). They want to set up a wordpress site for tracking who has what bag tag and I was wondering if there is a plugin that could be used for the ranking system. It really just needs to be able to display all the members names and what rank they have and would (ideally) be able to be sorted by name or bag tag number.

You're waaaaay overthinking this. Just stick it in a plain-rear end HTML table and use jQuery tablesorter.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

supster posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a contact form plugin that can be called from a template file (e.g., with a php function)?

I tried Contact Form 7 as per Ned's suggestion and I love it - but it's kind of annoying have to use the [contact] shortcode stuff when my actual page content is blank and all in the template file. I really like how Contact Form 7 works though, very straight forward and easy to do settings.

cformsII has a full API.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

growing posted:

So basically: I need to have the blog on https://www.mysite.com and dev.mysite.com simultaneously, using different 'themes'.

Build mysite.com so it pulls in and displays the dev.mysite.com blog via RSS.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

growing posted:

Right, but then I won't be able to use my wp-admin to modify the sidebar for the blog.

Site 1:
- Build blog via wp-admin
- Build sidebar via wp-admin

Site 2:
- Syndicate Site 1's blog via RSS
- Build sidebar via wp-admin

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

growing posted:

I'll give that a shot...it just seems a little roundabout to get the data through RSS when I have it sitting in my database...

Is it possible to do a second install of WordPress on an existing blog & database? That seems like it would be the best solution, since I'm going to be eliminating the temp site when the dev site launches.

With Wordpress MU, yes. But it'll be more trouble than it's worth, really. Like you said, it's just a temp site.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I updated two plugins on wordpress.org that I'm involved with today, if anyone else needs CMS-like functionality. Please excuse the marketing blurbs:

XWidgets
XWidgets lets you choose your widget layouts and settings for each individual page and post, instead of only having one layout applied to the whole site! For example, you could have a Twitter feed in your website's sidebar, but have your 'about me' page also display Flickr/Last.FM widgets in that page's sidebar, with a completely different widget layout from the rest of your site -- or you could have each page of your site pull in a different Google News feed via RSS -- or you could add a poll to the sidebar of a specific post, without changing any others.

PBox
PBox lets you create widgets to display content from pages, posts, and external URLs; you can also display customizable links, text, and images. Easily stylize your presentation box widget with your own custom HTML and CSS. Incorporate your styles as part of your theme for multi-themed projects or make it part of the plugin for modularity.

There are a few person-years worth of work between these two plugins. They are seriously some kickass rear end-kicking.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Tom Steele posted:

Could anyone give me a (free hopefully) theme recommendation?

100 Amazing Free Wordpress Themes for 2009

Twiin fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 22, 2010

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Alfalfa posted:

What is the easiest way to copy an entire blog and put it on another domain?

I want to make two separate blogs that are identical and use one to beta test and modify to see if I like it.

Is there a way to have them both be on the same domain as well?

like https://www.xxxxx.com - default blog and https://www.xxxxx.com/beta be the tester blog?

Copy the files from Default location to Beta location, use PHPMyAdmin to export Default's DB and import it into Beta.

When you've got Beta the way you want, do the opposite.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Ned posted:

The settings are in the database, not a file. If you change the url/ip and it no longer responds you'll need to get into the wp_options table and change a couple of settings there.

This isn't exactly true. You can set your WP_HOME and SITE_HOME (or whatever they are) in your wp-config.php, and those settings will override and change whatever is in your db.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Broccoli Must Die! posted:

I installed it today on a test domain and was quite unimpressed with the lack of new features. Sure, there's some nice things included in 3.0, but considering it's the next major release I really thought there'd be a lot more cool features and improvements. Don't know what there is to include really, I just expected more.

Seems maybe it's more under the hood improvements than anything else.

Wordpress 3.0 isn't a major release, it's just another regular release. They count 2.8 -> 2.9 -> 3.0 instead of 2.8 -> 2.9 -> 2.10. Ten regular releases from now it'll be 4.0, regardless of what new features are in it.

It is a stupid way to number releases.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Alfalfa posted:

A wordpress question, but probably more of a general coding/html question. Either way I searched for a plug-in and googled but can't find any answers. What is the easiest way to add a few Johnson Boxes into a post? I have some testimonials I need to add in, and the best way to do it is by using Johnson Boxes but I have no clue how to design or implement them.

Just put the testimonials in a blockquote and do something like this in css:

code:
blockquote {
background-color: yellow;
border: 1px dashed black;
padding: 2em;
}

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

rugbert posted:

Why is using jquery so difficult in wordpress?

Post the HTML source of your page.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Try get_bloginfo('siteurl') instead of siteurl().

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

ProdigalSon posted:

Does anyone here have much experience with making Wordpress sites in multiple languages? I'm wondering what the best way to do this is. The simplest solution (although not very elegant, perhaps) is two create two totally separate sites (each with their own databases) dedicated to a language with a button to toggle between the two. Aside from combining the two languages onto one site (which will get messy quickly) this is the only solution that I can think of.

Is there a better way?

Use the WPML plugin. Lets you have as many languages as you need. Create translations of posts/categories/whatever, allow users to toggle between them, etc.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

cocteau posted:

I'd be curious to hear whether any independent designers have had much luck with selling themes online. I'vIt seems like the real money is doing custom work for clients, unless you build a framework like Thesis.

The price/sales stats on Themeforest seem to suggest there's good money to be made if you make a theme that doesn't suck. I'm planning to try my hand on there, I'll let you know how it goes.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Zeshon posted:

Ok, I'm yanking my hair out trying to get this problem worked out.

Essentially, I set up single.php to pull from blogpost.php or portfolio.php, depending on the category a post is listed in. In my navigation, I have a link to the blog and the portfolio, which are generated by wp_list_pages, which highlights the appropriate link depending on where you are.

My problem is I want to spoof what that function sees as the current page for the portfolio posts so that it will highlight portfolio, instead of blog.

I have read this over and over and over and I have no idea what it is you're looking for.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I have not seen a WP theme/framework that comes anywhere close to Carrington for pro/CMS development.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Lumpy posted:

For us n00bs, can you give a quick summary of why this is so? I made my own "bare bones" theme and use that, but am always looking to be more lazy efficient.

Carrington's not going to help you be lazy, but it offers a much more granular control over theming. For example, you can have a file called header-category-news.php, which will be used in place of the regular header, if the page being rendered is in the 'news' category. (You can also do the same thing for the footer, for the loop, for the page content, for...)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

cocteau posted:

Do you use Carrington Blog or Carrington Text? I haven't looked at the files yet, so this may be a silly question if they are essentially the same other than CSS, but I'm curious. I'm always up for trying something new.

I use Carrington JAM.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Mistress Khary posted:

Bah I'm getting frustrated, I think this is all over my head. I thought it would be a lot simpler, maybe I need to switch to Blogger :) I've gotten firebug but it looks like I'll need to go read up on how to use it more, I can't find an option anywhere to actually *save* the changes I make to style.css. I then go to my dashboard and attempt to make the changes through the edit function there, the code shows up on the sheet there but when I look at firebug it's not there, argh. I was told to paste it at the very bottom of style.css, is that where it should be going?

Edit: I tried this on the live site, I uploaded a small placeholder graphic just to see if it works but so far no luck getting that graphic to display.

You might want to try the Web Design Small Questions Thread.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

LLJKSiLk posted:

I just set up Wordpress on my site, and am getting ready to start.

Any favorite sites on finding free templates?

Here you go!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Ziir posted:

<li id="Last active">

quote:

header ul li#active a {color:yellow !important;}

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
For CMS-ifying wordpress, I couldn't live without

XWidgets: "XWidgets lets you choose your widget layouts and settings for each individual page and post, instead of only having one layout applied to the whole site"

and

PBox: "PBox lets you create widgets to display content from pages, posts, and external URLs; you can also display customizable links, text, and images. Easily stylize your presentation box widget with your own custom HTML and CSS."

I use the Carrington theme framework as the foundation of all of my CMS themes. It is so much more powerful than what you can do otherwise.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

pixelpusherbot posted:

I want to use Wordpress for a CMS. I have a fairly complex homepage design so all of that content doesn't fill well inside one post or page. I do want to make all content editable. For example: I have 160 characters of a guarantee in a single absolute positioned div, I want to make that editable too.

What is it called in Wordpress? Adding these editable "chunks" of content to a page and managing them through a back-end would be very nice.

See the PBox plugin I linked to a page or so ago.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Alfalfa posted:

Is there an easier way to move 20+ blog posts from one blog to another without having to copy/paste/fix links etc? I have access to both blogs, ftp, and hosting control panels.

There is an import/export feature in Wordpress. Have you tried that?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

cocteau posted:

Ah. Now I get what you meant.

Although not very elegant (and something that likely will evoke scorn from a hardcore WP user/coder), this is my work-around:

code:
<p>&nbsp;</p>

I use TinyMCE Advanced, but this works without it and is a bit more elegant:

code:
<br class="blank" />

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

mcsuede posted:

Question for those using Widget Logic:

I'm wanting to show a particular widget on every subpage of a particular parent page (and on the parent), anyone have a string I could use for this? Hoping I don't have to make 18 billion widgets with is_page('x')...

Use x-widgets instead.