Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Figure this should be simple enough to do, but I'm having issues with it.

I want to use the Page system to link to custom PHP pages. That is, I'd like any PHP script of my choosing to appear in the main frame of theme just like any other page, use the same stylesheets, etc, but run completely custom code.

Simple example, I want to get a data set from a MySQL database, and create a table from it. I want this to appear like any other page, including being linked from the Page List itself.

Do I need a plugin for this, or is there some setting I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Thanks for that, I'm chugging along now with custom templated pages.

New question!

I intend to have a user table in my database that allows people to log in to do things with the website largely unrelated to WordPress. I've mentioned a few of them in my last post: administer / join games, configure email alerts, etc.

I see WordPress has such a table already, and figured I could just add some fields to it, or add a companion table that links to the WordPress user table through the ID.

By extending / linking to this table I can configure that only registered users can add comments, which is also awesome.

I played around with this, and I don't like that when people log in, even if their role is only subscriber, they go to the WP dash board. Even the neutered one they see, with no configuration changes and whatnot, I'd like to hide from them. It ruins the flow of the site to be taken to the Wordpress-style dashboard, and I'd rather not have people see the stats at all (like, 4 posts, 12 coments), even if they can't do anything about it.

How can I make it so users can log in, but never see a dashboard? I don't care if I have to copletely re-write the profile editing page, and honestly I'd probably have to anyway if I want to add custom fields.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

BuddyPress seems like way more than I'd need/want.

All I really want is a login page that matches the standard template (or a sidebar widget) that allows a user to login, and then redirects them back to the index page, or whatever page they were on before. I don't mind the idea of them seeing the dashboard so much, I just don't like the way the design changes when they move to the dashboard. It's a bad user experience.

I don't need to expressly disable the dashboard for these users, I just need to "hide" it. They could still get to it if they navigate there, but I'd rather it all be behind the scenes.

I'd still have to make my own custom "edit profile" page with this approach, though.

I'll look around for plugins that do this, I suppose.

edit: This seems like it could work: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/weasels-login-redirection/

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 20, 2009