Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Slightly less technical questions coming up, but hopefully valid nonetheless...

I'm looking for a free Wordpress theme with magazine functionality -- that is, a headline space, a category grid, and a tabbed area for most read articles/recent articles/archives.

Hybrid News' functionality is great in terms of how easy it is to add and remove components but in all honesty it's ugly as sin, and I don't have the coding chops to fix it up. There's just so much I'd want to try and tidy that it'd break me.

I love the look and feel of this Joomla template if that helps any. I'd go with it, but it's a commercial theme.

For the record I'd be happy with a Joomla theme with the same functionality (I'm not tied to Wordpress) but I didn't see a Joomla thread in here, so y'know. Though this is the Wordpress thread, if anyone knows of a Joomla theme I could use instead that'd be awesome.

Also, I'm looking for a simple news ticker to use. The ones in the WP plugin directory link to posts, draw from an RSS, and even Twitter... all of which I don't need. I just want to be able to enter custom text with a divider image inbetween each string, and have it scroll. Simple marquee HTML is an option but the scrolling with that is really clunky and ugly -- I'd prefer something much smoother.

Any suggestions on how I could achieve that? Perhaps modifying the WP scrollers in some way? This one is fantastic in terms of how it looks but as you can see in the description, it does everything EXCEPT for what I want it to do. :gonk:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Does anyone have any experience with Artisteer?

I ask because while I'm pretty good with design, I know gently caress all about PHP and I don't have the know-how to actually construct a Wordpress site from the ground up that doesn't look like it's been pulled from the default design, no matter how much I try to pretty it up, so I want to know: how friendly is it with plugins?

Basically I want to try and recreate this VERY rough mockup (yes it's dodgy and yes it fits a little too well but humour me)...

Click here for the full 800x930 image.

...and I want to know if I'm wasting my time using Artisteer if the theme I make is just going to tank the minute I try to add plugins. I've only got the demo at the moment but if it'll do what I want it to, I'm gonna shell out for the full version.

Also, is there even a plugin for all the poo poo I want to include? I did a quick skim of the plugin database and found a few but a few more have eluded me thus far. If it came down to me actually needing to code something other than the setup I'd be completely hosed. I should also add that I'd like an automatic thumbnail generator so that I'm not having to save/upload 1000 variations of the same image just to get it to display properly.

That's a lot of poo poo to answer in one post but hopefully someone can help. Cheers :)

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Finally got my site running. I've postponed all the feature article poo poo I wanted to include and will look to adding it later: for now I just want to get some content up and get going. Pretty psyched to get the news ticker running correctly. For the record I'm running with this one. Really easy to use.

One last thing before I go public though -- I want to move all my post categories to the menu bar, since it'd be wasted real estate otherwise. It also means I can free up some space on the sidebar for other stuff. Is there a way to do this?

I've read that the best way to do it is to create a blank post which has nothing but a link to the category in the title in HTML format. I tried it, and for some reason this happened:

My sidebar moved underneath the main content, and the link to the category moved off the menu bar to... god knows where and changed styles.

Somehow I get the impression there has to be an easier way. :psyduck:

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 13, 2010

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
edit: Nothing to see here, I actually managed to do it myself. All's well!

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 13, 2010

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I still can't figure out my menu bar.

I'm trying to add categories to the menu bar by creating a new page, and writing out the title in regular HTML like so:

code:
<a href="http://url.com">Category Name</a>
Apparently this works. But for some reason, when I do that, the link appears, but it appears outside the menu bar, in the main part of the page, changes colour and pushes all the main content to one side :psyduck:

What the hell am I doing wrong? Is there a plugin that can help me out instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Permit me to sound dense for a bit, but I have no idea what that means or how to use it other than the fact that I know (think) it's a function call :v: