Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
Sigvatr that's a really cool theme. My subconscious is eager to read all of the classic video game rants because the site looks like a classic video game in itself. Does that make sense? Whatever, it's pretty rad.

I'm currently diving into Wordpress for the first time and looking into creating my own theme using this awesome tutorial: http://themeshaper.com/wordpress-themes-templates-tutorial/

My singer/songwriter friend wants a site where he can post music, news and gigs. I thought Wordpress would be perfect. Simple for his non-techy mind and easy for me because there is a lot of cool extensions like GigPress to make things easier :)

Can anyone recommend any good books or sites on Wordpress so I can learn more about it?

I've spent the last month or two trying to learn ExpressionEngine and although it's pretty cool, I'm leaning towards Wordpress for personal projects because of the community, more updates and extensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004

musclecoder posted:

I'm more familiar with ExpressionEngine than I am Wordpress, even though I like Wordpress a lot more because EE is pretty bad (my blog - http://leftnode.com/blog).

Can I ask why you think ExpressionEngine is bad? Not attacking, I'm just interested to hear someone talk about EE and not be all "best CMS ever" about it.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
I'm an EE guy myself but with the release of Wordpress 3.0, I'm thinking of giving WP another shot.

What is your process when building Wordpress installs?For example, if I were to install ExpressionEngine I'd do the following:

1. Install
2. Download <insert-essential-extensions-here> and enable them on my site.
3. Change a bunch of options so URLs are nicer and the site itself is a bit more friendly.
4. Create the structure.
5. Create the weblogs/channels.
6. Bask in it's greatness.

This is just so I can get a better idea of what to do with my new WP install. What do I keep? What do I axe? What extensions can you guys live without, things like that!

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
EDIT: I added this question to WordPress Questions if anyone wants to make an easy :10bux: :)

I'm wanting to create an aggregator website in ExpressionEngine, but since I can't afford a license right now I thought it'd be a good time to try Wordpress (FOR THE FIRST TIME :aaa:).

Only problem is I have no idea how I would recreate it in Wordpress. It's a fairly simple publishing workflow and I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction using the mockup below:

Click here for the full 996x813 image.

Publishing Workflow:

1. Publish new Tutorial
2. Enter the title, eg "ExpressionEngine Relationships and Related Entries"
3. Write a brief summary for the tutorial
4. Enter the Tutorial URL into custom field.
5. Choose an author from a drop-down list, if not there, create one.
6. Choose the source website from a drop-down list, if not there, create one.

• The title (which is linked to the tutorial URL) and summary text are displayed on the homepage.
• The Author field brings in the name, homepage and picture of the author.
• The website field brings in the source website name, favicon and URL.

This is fairly easy with ExpressionEngine's channel philosophy but unless there is a plugin for Wordpress, it looks like I'm going to be retyping a lot of the same data which might clog things up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've always admired Wordpress for being free and open-source but at the same time dismissed it for being just a blogging platform.

micropenis fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 11, 2011

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
What's the best way to update Wordpress from an iPhone? Asking on behalf of my friend. He tried the Wordpress app but said it's quite crashy.

Any plugins that make the admin CSS mobile-friendly when logged in from iPhone Safari?

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
How many of you use Thesis? It looks very useful but it's a bit costly for personal sites.

Are there free alternatives or can everything in Thesis be achieved with a regular theme and a few plugins + legwork?

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004

Ned posted:

The guy who makes Thesis is a douche and not well liked by the folks in the WordPress community. There are lots of frameworks to choose from, I say choose a free one.

Did not know that! What makes him such a douche? Googling "thesis wordpress douche" didn't yield very good results...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
Is there an IRC channel you guys hang about in for WP?

I was planning on building a site in ExpressionEngine but I'll be fecked if I'm paying $300 for what's essentially a simple blog. My only worry is that I don't know PHP, will I be able to get by okay if I want to tweak anything or do most tutorials assume you know PHP off the bat?