Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaiaN
Aug 18, 2004

cLin posted:

Anyone ever attempt to make a corporate/company website with wordpress? Main page, pages with products, blog, contacts. I understand it's possible, but is it elegant? The business I work for wants to redesign their main webpage and it's loaded with flash videos (demos) and lots of images.

If anyone has examples, please share and mention what is wordpress and what isn't. I know they are out there.

I'm not terribly good or experienced with web design -I can write XHTML and cross-browser-inconsistent CSS- but I recently redesigned https://www.lcciebspain.com to https://www.lcci.es/wp and am quite happy with the result. It's still missing a few things, like a contact form and maybe a better landing page, and stock photos somewhere.

I've done everything with wordpress and a couple of plugins: qTranslate for the multilingual pages and some events plugin for the noticeboard. The theme took me about 4-5 days between drawing it up to having it show up in WordPress, and is the first WordPress theme I've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaiaN
Aug 18, 2004

pipebomb posted:

I've done several dozen WP sites myself and anytime I have an idea or am asked to do come up with one, I immediately think 'how can I do that using wordpress'.

After having done the site redesign this is how I'm starting to think, but I'm worried of ending up trying to shoehorn every single project into WordPress. Has this happened to you Ned? What type of things can WordPress not do very well?

Also you should take a look at qTranslate, from the screenshots of the plugin you linked, qTranslate seems somewhat better - the different language versions are on different tabs in the compose section of the dashboard and it seems cleaner in general. I think the author wrote qTranslate because he was tired of the one you linked.