Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
:sigh: where do I start. I mean that literally - where do I start?

I've got a few freelance sites I'm going to be designing soon, and they're the right size (and update frequency) that I think I've got to put them together in a CMS of some sort. Wordpress seems to be what everyone's recommending.

I've got solid html and css skills - not expert, but good enough to get by - and so I know how to build a static site, but I have no loving clue how to even start with wordpress. If I design a template for somebody - all the css and images - where do I go from there? Is there a how-to page that starts from the very beginning?

Like for instance I created a WP account and I'm running a theme - called Mistylook, it's just the first one I found - and I wouldn't want anything that's on here on my site. I mean I know how to rearrange the content using css, but the sidebar stuff (archives, categories, blogroll, etc), the posts/comments section under feeds, the WP menubar at the top...obviously it's intended that I can get rid of this stuff if I want to, but I don't know where to start. I basically want a blank slate, where I can insert my html and css and have the page come out looking exactly like it would if I were running it on my desktop. That's possible, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
On the last page someone asked for good book recommendations, I'm here to repeat that. I got sidetracked on the project I was going to start, but it's going to begin again soon, and I'm no further along and still totally loving lost when it comes to WP. I'm looking for a from-scratch, don't-know-poo poo book on WordPress. I'll be designing and building a user-editable site, with a members-only section, and I'm fairly worried that this job is probably just too big for me, for my first go around.

Anyway, books?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

And just out of curiosity - and I know this is a bit of a bullshit question, with lots of variables like location, etc - how much would you folks charge for a ~15 page site, easy for the owner to edit, password-protected member section, and (I imagine) a few other little goodies like a contact form, etc? Redesigned (and reorganizing of old content) from the ground up, the current site is total poo poo. Just ballpark it if you can, and if you really want to make me cry, take a guess at the hours you'd put into it.

You know, one option I may have with this is if I get a high enough quote - and I'm kinda shooting for the moon on this one - it might be easier and more efficient in the end for me to hire someone for the bits and pieces that I can't figure out fast enough. Does that seem feasible, or is the kind of help I'm looking for so expensive that it wouldn't be worth my while?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 4, 2009

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Is there a way to import the entries from a blogspot blog into a new wordpress blog? I've got someone who's just made the jump to wordpress, but her old blog has tons of entries that it would be nice to copy over.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

identikit posted:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content#Blogger

Was thrown off by the Blogger/Blogspot difference. But that should work.
Yeah, I keep forgetting it's not called blogspot anymore. That's perfect, thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've got a couple of sites I've built lately with just html and css, and as much as I'd love getting paid hourly to update them I think I'd rather just convert them to wordpress and be done with it. Can anyone recommend a good guide / tutorial / magic "convert to wordpress" button to help me do this?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

cocteau posted:

The wordpress codex is kind of this, though I've found that it's pretty overwhelming to newbies, especially if you're not familiar with PHP and other stuff. Also, if you have a host that has fantastico or similar option in your Cpanel you might be able to do an install of WP with one click.

However, "converting" to WP really depends on what you have. If it's a site in another blogging platform sometimes you can import posts and whatnot. However, if it's a plain jane HTML site, you're gonna have to do some copy/paste.

I'm also going to send you a PM.
Thanks, and I appreciate the IM. It's just html; still a little rough at points, but mostly done. I've got only the barest idea how wordpress is put together, but I know I'll have to strip out my template and build it in separate include files (header.php, footer.php, etc), if I remember right. Then of course copy/paste/recreate the content for the separate pages, but that's not too bad since it's a small site.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've always used WP sites that were installed as part of hosting plan.

1. Hit "Install."
2. Blog created.

Now I've got a client's blog that's just a free one created at wordpress.com, and what's the deal here, can I not upload a theme with the free version? Because goddamn is that gonna ruin my day.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to add WP to a client's site, and godaddy is bitching because her site's on a Windows plan and it doesn't have IIS7. But her entire site is this flash thing generated through wix.com, and I'm afraid to make any big changes; I don't want to upgrade to IIS7 (or migrate to Linux) and get WP working, only to find out I've killed the rest of her site. I'm waiting to hear back from the Wix folks about this. Thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Trying to change the address for a WP blog.

Currently this is the URL: http://blog.ofdconsulting.com

I want it to be: http://www.ofdconsulting.com/blog

I'm looking at everything through ftp, and the blog is already installed at ofdconsulting.com/blog, so I figure that's good.

Now in Wordpress under "settings," I've got two fields:
WordPress address (URL) and Site address (URL)

Both of those are currently the same: http://blog.ofdconsulting.com like so:

It looks like all I have to do is change the Wordpress address to ofdconsulting.com/blog, and delete the site address, correct? After that, all that's left is to tell people to change their links to us, right?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

bobthecheese posted:

If only it were that easy.

All of your content will have to have links updated, etc. because a large number of site URLs are stored in the database.

Luckily for you, there's a plugin which does all of this for you.

Search for "Change WordPress URL" in the plugins section, or go here.
Ah thanks, I'll check this out. Moving the blog is the last step in a redesign, and I saved it for last 'cause I had a feeling it might be a pain in the rear end.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've got someone who wants to replace her current (html) site with a wordpress site. Obviously you want to do this with as little downtime as possible, so should she (I say "she" but I'm sure I'm the one who'll end up doing the work) install wordpress in some random folder (site.com/testsite), get all the pages (contact, about us, etc) working, then just go into the WP prefs and change what directory everything points to (from site.com/testsite to site.com/)? Is that how it's usually done?

Or should I build the site at /testsite, export it, then build a new WP install at the root level and import my testsite into that?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ned, if you want to put a link in the OP, this is a good one: Converting HTML to Wordpress. The only part that doesn't seem right is his loop code, but by the time you get to that part you can just google for it (or go here).

All this time, I've been working backwards: starting with a blank theme (like Suffusion, recently) and trying to reverse engineer it into something that looks good. And that method loving sucks unless you really know what you're doing, and I don't. Until I found that link above I honestly had no idea how easy it was to convert a static site to wordpress, there's nothing to it. Granted there's more to it than being able to edit your content div, but man, getting that far feels like I'm 90% done.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Alright, so I've figured out how to go from static to a wordpress theme, and have my main content edited by using loop. The next step seems to be setting up the other areas (mainly my sidebar) so that they're also editable in an easy fashion, without having to edit sidebar.php or whatever. Will I have to rebuild my sidebar as a widget and edit it that way, or is there an easier way?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I feel like all my questions in this thread revolve around the same thing; sorry of I'm repeating myself.

A client has bought a theme and wants it installed on his site. If I install this theme on my site, and set it up exactly the way he wants it on his site, is it as easy as exporting the whole site as an .xml file, then installing the theme and importing the xml into his site once I'm ready for it to go live? Then just copying over the relevant image files that I'm using? Please tell me it's that easy.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Lareous posted:

It depends on how much you are modifying. If it's just the CSS files then that's all you need, but if you are putting content in/setting up plugins/etc this will help with moving the entire site.
We're going to be building an entire site (a small one) using a theme that's been bought. I want to get the new pages and image galleries looking good, then just import them from one site to another. This will help a lot, thanks.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

It's easy to take another blog (Blogger or whatever) and import its contents into a WP blog, I've done that. What I'm wondering is, can I import a blog into my wordpress site, but have it import that content to a specific page that's not the homepage? Like for instance, this guy is currently at something like https://www.blogger.com/photographer or whatever. His new site is going to have a "blog" link on it, and instead of linking to that old blogger site, I want to import all that content into this new page and link to it.

Also, I want to have all my links easy to remember. The contact page at "www.website.com/contact," (or contact.php) etc. How do I do that, instead of having 'ugly' links like ?page_id=10? I'm reading all about permalinks, but that doesn't seem like the same thing.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

So I've got this theme, Kin, running at my site, at http://www.travisely.com., and on this site there's a nifty little image gallery.

The way this thing works, the guy has a special settings page where I get to choose which category to assign to my homepage. From there I create posts, which use images to basically create a photo gallery, and on each post I give it a category of "home." Awesome - I've got 7 posts with a category of "home," and now my homepage shows the photos I want.

Where I'm lost is how to get the same kind of photo gallery running on another page (the "gallery" page in my menu).

This is a working demo of the theme, and his gallery links are all basically leading to categories, like http://www.gallyapp.com/tf_themes/kin_wp/?cat=4. How do I do that? I asked him how to do it and he said "Basically, you have to add the category to menu via Appearance > menus." Which means fuckall to me; I started poking around in Menus and reading about it, and I'm lost.

Oh, and get this: the theme was bought (not by me and without my input) to advertise a photography business, but the gallery can only display images in one size and orientation on a page (i.e. they're either all landscape, or all portrait). I'm not completely sure on it, but it might even limit you to one size/orientation of image across the entire site. :lol::suicide:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

cocteau posted:

I just did something similar so I was able to produce a screenshot, maybe it will help.

You create your categories first. Then go to Menus under appearance, click on the + at the top, and create a new menu called Categories. Then scroll down to where your existing categories are listed, and drag them into the big box on the right, under the +.

This will break tables so I'm linking the screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/0HjvH.jpg
I'm so remedial on this stuff it's ridiculous.

Alright, I've created my category ("gallery"). I've added a new menu ("categories"), and I selected my "gallery" category and added it to the menu.

I hate to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but what next? I've got a post with an image in it and assigned the category "gallery," but that's obviously not enough.

I miss html so bad right now.

Linked screenshots:
Menus page: http://i56.tinypic.com/2n65cw9.jpg
Gallery "posts" page: http://i53.tinypic.com/rc6jgm.png

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I took that theme and did this to it: :a2m:

Or more likely, I just changed all kinds of poo poo and finally got lucky, after loving with it for the past ten hours. Whatever happened, I fixed my biggest problems and everything's working great. Thanks, this thread was a lifesaver. :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Just got a site up using a template (the one I bitched about all last week), now I've got one tiny issue:

There's a "blog" page that has a bunch of blog entries on it. The blogs are created as posts and given a category of "blog." But I've got a custom structure on my permalinks, /%category%, that I think is messing things up a bit: all of the separate blogs on the page link to impactphotopro.com/blog. If I go into admin and hit "get shortlink" it gives me a full link (example: http://impactphotopro.com/?p=319), but I don't seem to have the option of making that the link on the page. This seems like an easy fix, but I can't find it. Any ideas?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ignis posted:

Try changing that structure to /%category%/%postname%/ instead.
That had me nervous because I was afraid it would blow up links in other pages of the site, but it seems to be working perfectly. Thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've got a blog with a bunch of tags for each post. Those tags are being used for SEO purposes, and I'd rather not show them. If I go into single.php and comment out the post_detail div or put display:none on it, will Google still read it?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Well drat, thanks for all of that; I think I came close to screwing the guy with my display:none brilliance. The page has a white background, so I've given the tags a #aaa color; they're still very visible, they just don't jump out like they used to.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

cocteau posted:

Would styling the tags with #fff color on a #fff background be a workaround I wonder...
Good question! The answer is a very emphatic "no."

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66353

quote:

Hiding text or links in your content can cause your site to be perceived as untrustworthy since it presents information to search engines differently than to visitors. Text (such as excessive keywords) can be hidden in several ways, including:

- Using white text on a white background
- Including text behind an image
- Using CSS to hide text
- Setting the font size to 0

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Twiin posted:

I think the Carrington guys offer support.
I'm really diggin' their footer:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I'm trying to edit a form for someone's contact page, what I'm trying to do is have an intro question ("What are you contacting us about?), and have two radio answers (or a select, whichever). Picking answer A shows one div (and its related contact questions) and hides the other, and answer B does the opposite. The guy has multiple lines of business, he wants his contact form tailored to the type of person who's writing him.

I think my problem's less about javascript and more just an issue with how to build this in this particular wordpress theme (which, helpfully enough, is named "The Bob," after the guy's name, so I don't know how to google for help on it).

The way you edit this form is above your textarea where the form goes I've got a dropdown where I can pick from a bunch of page elements - textarea, select, submit button, URL, etc - and once I select one and give it some details (class, ID, answers) it drops this onto the page:

[radio radio-219 id:wedding class:contact_wedding "Answer A" "Answer B"]

loving wysiwygs, goddamn it. This below is exactly what I want it to do, but when I add the data-rel to the code above and save, the question refuses to display on the outputted contact page.

http://jsfiddle.net/HREqE/

What other information do you geniuses need to be able to help me out with this?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I'm sure you're right, but you were way, way ahead of me here. :)

See, I'm not editing contact.php or whatever, I'm in this theme's wysiwyg, and I create new form elements like this:

And so the options I picked there would spit out this for me to add to my form:

code:
[radio radio-661 id:photo_contact class:trigger "Wedding" "Portrait"]
Which, as far as I'm concerned, is loving gobbledegook. But what took me way too long to realize was that whatever that poo poo is, it's still just outputting html to the contact page, so I looked at the source of the contact page to grab the generated html, pasted that into my contact page, and got it working (eventually, after figuring poo poo out like "$ is not a function" and "You have to be really careful where you add javascript, which you know nothing about, into a template you also know absolutely nothing about").

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Khelmar posted:

I've finished the coding parts of my wife's website. However, I'm crappy at design, and I can't find a free theme that looks good. What should I expect to pay someone to just do the layout / beautification of a WordPress site?
Like kedo said, you ought to at least check out woothemes before you go looking for designers - you'll pay out the rear end for someone to design/build you a site from the ground up. Woothemes is dirt cheap (around $40, usually) and the ones I've used have been really well put together, with documentation, responsive, etc. If you don't see anything you're in love with, find something that has the layout you want and does what you need, then pay a designer to go in and basically skin the theme the way you want. Much cheaper than starting from scratch.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Got a potential client, his existing site was built with Volusion - this seems to be a template and e-commerce thing all built in one. We're talking about doing a top-to-bottom redesign, and I'm wondering just what I'm getting myself into if I start with a Woo theme and use Woo Commerce. I have literally never done the first bit of work on an e-commerce site, but I'm thinking it can't be that hard, right? This guy's currently got about 100 items for sale - do I dare to hope that setting this up is as easy as signing up for and installing a woo-commerce theme, adding each of his products, then tying it into his billing system (I have no idea what this entails), and lastly, tailoring the design to match what he needs? I feel like total dummies do this, it can't be that hard for me. Is building a fairly straightforward e-commerce site a drag-and-drop kind of experience? Or should I be terrified, and expect a lot of back-end work in languages I've never heard of before? I'm not looking to do anything crazy here - they make handcrafted signs and wanna sell them online, that's it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Yes and no, I'd find out what he is using for payment processing first.
Paypal.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Where's the best place these days to find good, quality templates? I don't know what a good one ought to cost, but I'm comfortable spending a few hundred if I have to. Designed well, built well, responsive, accessible developers, etc. I can make style changes myself, I just don't have time (or the skill) to take a barebones template and make it do what I want. I'd rather buy something that's 95% of the way there.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

How easy would it be for me to install a wordpress theme in a subfolder of my own site, set everything up the way I want it, then move that whole site to another site? Is that basically a matter of creating a backup of the site once I'm done, then importing that backup once I've installed the theme on the other domain? It's been years since I've had to do anything with wordpress.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

snagger posted:

It can be challenging on the first try, but pro WP developers deal with this on a daily basis (they'll do their development work on their own machine then push everything to the 'production' or live server). You need to worry about 3 separate factors:

-The database contents - databases are stored locally, and everything on a WP site lives in the database (like the contents of your pages/posts and theme configuration). There are plugins to help you quickly move contents from one database to another.
-The database connection - the location, name, and login details for the databases may be different. Most devs run a find/replace on wp-config.php to swap between one server and the other.
-The file content (WP may look in the wrong folders for certain things) - not a frequent issue, but could be a problem on the first go.

Is there a reason you're doing it this way as opposed to just settings things up the first time on the other server?
Thanks for all that. The reason - and maybe I'm going about this all wrong - is that the destination site is probably going to be changing hosting sometime soon, after I've started putting the new site together. I figured I'm going to have to build it in one place, back it up, and then restore it on the new host to make this work. Right? Or am I way off?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Thanks for Duplicator, that sounds really, really nice. I'll definitely head in that direction.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I bought a "managed wordpress" hosting plan from godaddy. Looking around, I'm feeling like I made a mistake, because I'm having a hell of a time finding a control panel of any kind. I know how to install wordpress (jesus, it's usually just an "install wp" button) - did I buy some kind of training wheels package that assumes I can't even do that part?

Did I make a mistake?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I'm upgrading someone's static site to wordpress, so what I've done is I installed wordpress in a subdirectory there until I've got it where I want it. When I'm ready to make this thing live, shouldn't it be as easy as setting the site address to the root and then deleting the existing index.html? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Another question: I'm building a "press releases" section, with around 150 different pages, and the options for ordering the different press releases are by date, author, title, date modified, slug, and ID. We want these to go in a specific order, so slug or ID are the only viable options. Is that going to mean adding a 001-, 002- etc prefix to every slug, and is there anything wrong with doing that? I'd love to simply put an ID of 001, 001 for each one, but I can't find where to set that.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ok, so let me start from the beginning and tell you what I'm trying to do - I'm not very far along into this, so no harm done yet. We're rebuilding this site; used to be just static html, now gonna be wordpress. So I installed this template at https://www.site.com/newproject, because under General Settings it says:

quote:

Many people want WordPress to power their website's root (e.g. http://example.com) but they don't want all of the WordPress files cluttering up their root directory. WordPress allows you to install it into a subdirectory, but have your website served from the website root.

...followed by instructions on how to do that. Have I read that all wrong, or is this the htaccess method you were talking about?

v1nce posted:

Yeah, don't do that.
You're right, that's pretty dumb. As long as we create these entries in chronological order, oldest first (or whatever order the client wants), then we'll be fine.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

If I have an existing blog, at /blog, and I want to move/copy/export that blog's posts and images to a new blog (located at some other subfolder, using a new wordpress instance and theme), how would I do this? Because I know that I can do an export of the old blog, and then import that into the new blog, but even though the content and images are displaying, the paths to the images are all still pointing to the old blog (which makes sense, I should've expected that). So they're all at /blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/etc, when I want them to be at /totallynewblog/wp-content/uploads/2015/etc. Is this a matter of me copying that uploads folder from the old blog to the new, then doing a find/replace in the xml file for all the hundreds of references to these images? That sounds terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

So I've read enough posts by frustrated people to know that Wordpress doesn't feel users can handle subfolders in their media library. So what plugins do smart people use to get around this utterly loving stupid thing?