Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is there a wordpress theme that would be good for a resume/CV? I don't give a drat about blogging at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Ned posted:

Follow this model and I'll put together some tutorials for organizing information and using template pages to pull information from their children.

If you aren't concerned about blogging then I'd make various work experiences into posts so you can tag them with skills you used.

On first glance, I think this is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've got xampp lite set up and downloaded by the Starkers and Thematic themes. I figure if I'm going to learn HTML and CSS, I might as well do it right and start from the bare minimum, right? At any rate, this should be fun. Also, I hate myself so I thought I'd try out the XHTML strict standard, because like I said I might as well learn it "right" on the first shot.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'll do that then!

Is it possible to make my default page a static page, and have one of my pages be something called "Blog" with (you guessed it) the blog? What about if I wanted the blog on a subdomain? Say mywebsite.com would load up a static about page (I plan on using this as an online resume kind of), and then blog.mywebsite.com would be my actual blog?

Edit: Figured it out, kind of. I don't think I can configure subdomains with xampp so I'll have worry about those ones later when I get proper hosting.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 7, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is it possible to have a page only display blog posts with a certain tag or category?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Grayham posted:

:words:

Thanks.

Now I've run into another snag. I want my search page to display the number of items found followed by the search term, so if I search for "random word" then I want it to say one of the following:

0 results found for random word
1 result found for random word
342 results found for random word

It seems like it would be doable because it does that to tell you how many comments there are, but I can't find any calls that would display the number of results.

php:
<?php the_search_query(); ?>
Returns the search query though, I know that much.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out :).

php:
<?php $allsearch = &new WP_Query("s=$s&showposts=-1");
    $count $allsearch->post_count;
    if ($count == 1) {
        echo $count ' '_e('result for ');
    }
    else {
        echo $count ' '_e('results for ');
    }
?><?php the_search_query(); ?>
(I have another condition for 0 posts.)

Ziir fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 10, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
It seems that when I put links in my posts, WordPress doesn't automatically place a target tag in the link so clicking on the link opens the link in the same window. If I'm linking within my site this makes sense, but when I'm linking out I'd like it to automatically add a target="newwindow" or something so that it opens in a new tab. Is there anything I can do to do this?

Also I finished my very first WordPress theme from scratch :woop:. It's the first time I've ever done any web coding and prior to this the only HTML tags I knew were <b> and <i> which apparently aren't even in use anymore.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 15, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Twiin posted:

Please don't. I want my browser to work the same on your site as it does everyone else's site. If I want the link in a new window I'll shift-click it.

It's normal behavior for a link to an outside site to open inside the same window? I had no idea but then again I do instinctively middle click on links. Well scrap that then.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Twiin posted:

It breaks the back button, which sucks. And it can cause navigation problems with screen readers, which sucks. Let the user decide what happens to the link. You can always use CSS to make all external links have a little external-link-icon so that the users know.

Gotcha, I'll just do that then.

I want to make a custom page template that displays posts in a certain category. I asked earlier and someone responded but that method didn't work, but I found this in the Codex http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/query_posts.

Now, it's all fine and dandy except for the fact that my previous/next page buttons don't work. Clicking on the previous page link takes me to page 2, but the posts that show up are the same as the ones on page 1, i.e. the first 10 posts. Fortunately in the Codex, they talk about how to preserve pagination, except I believe I've tried every way they give and it won't work. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

php:
    <?php
        $paged = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1;
        $args=array(
            'cat'=>3,
            'paged'=>$paged,
        );
        query_posts(args);
    ?>
    <?php if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>
        <div <?php post_class() ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
            [link to title, removed line cause it was breaking table]
            <?php the_content(); ?>
        </div> <!-- .post -->
    <?php endwhile; endif; ?>

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Am I able to [easily] export all blog posts, all pages, all content, all users, all passwords, all settings, etc from one installation to another?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I want to style the title/link of the newest blog post differently from the previous older ones. Is there a way I can add a "newest" ID or something automatically to the newest entry, or is there another way to do this?

Edit: I also want my front page to display the content from my about me page so that I don't have to manually edit the index file to update the information. I can't seem to find a way to do this though searching through Google.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm trying to color my menu differently if I'm currently on the page, but it seems to just ignore the CSS no matter what I do, even if I use !important.

Here's the relevant code edited to not break tables.

code:
<header id="siteheader">
	<div id="navigation">
		<ul>
		<li id="About"><a href="...">About</a></li>
		<li id="Another"><a href="...">Another</a></li>
		<li id="Page"><a href="...">Page</a></li>
		<li id="Last active"><a href="...">Last</a></li>
		</ul>
	</div>
</header>
code:
header ul li a {color:#000000;}
header ul li a:hover	{color:#428542;}
header ul li#active a	{color:yellow !important;}
The color yellow is just a random color I wrote in just to make it easier to see if it worked since it's so bright, but it just ignores it and instead uses the other colors.