Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
So I think I want to try building a WP-based site to showcase projects that I've been working on. Looking through the WP documentation, it seems like pages meet my needs better; I will be posting lots of static content that isn't really sorted chronologically. Anyone have any tips and tricks for making a page-based WP site? I'm not adverse to coding whatever needs to be done, I just figured it would behoove me to use whatever resources I can find.

After all, if I was going to go about re-inventing the wheel, I wouldn't be using WP anyways.

EDIT: So far, plugins like "CMS Tree Page View" and "Ninja Page Categories and Tags" seem to be moving me in the right direction. I will probably try rolling my own theme here shortly.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ned posted:

Just put your stuff in pages and find out what type of hierarchy you want to use to organize them. Pages are quite simple really. If you create custom templates for specific pages you will give yourself a lot of flexibility.

I guess. I probably asked the question awkwardly, but I kind of feel like I'm bending over backwards to make WP work the way I think it should, rather than the way it is designed to work. I'm sure it's possible, but why do it the hard way? Is this an unusual way to go about building a WP site? Is there some sort of keyword describing this style of WP site I can search for?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Aturaten posted:

I am looking to actually have it attach to the post in some way. Possible?

Experiment with some of these.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nextgen-gallery/faq/

[nggallery id=x] kind of did what I think you're talking about. Honestly, I found their choice of gallery/album to be really confusing.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

etcetera08 posted:

I'm sure this is a relatively common question, and that there are multiple options as answers, but I will ask anyways. I am looking to have a static home page potentially leading to a few subpages and to a blog (with all my posts). It won't be very complex, just a nice looking splash page basically. How should I go about doing this? Should I choose + edit a theme I like and then create a new template for the home page? Use an established template? Do something totally different?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

I have no experience with Lithium so I have no idea how good their security practices are. Maybe somebody else can comment.

They seem on the ball as far as that sort of thing goes. I think it's more likely the php misconfiguation returning the wp-config file as text and the guy gleaning the passwords/etc from there.