Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
How the hell do you add image maps to your header. I have spent several hours on it and still nothing. Just frustrating. :(
Edit; solved in five minutes after sleeping.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

fuf posted:

I've used this theme http://themeforest.net/item/the7-responsive-multipurpose-wordpress-theme/5556590 on a couple of sites recently and it's been pretty good. I had to contact their support and they got back to me pretty quickly with a good answer.

For $2,900 per use, I'd expect the author to get back to me pretty quick.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 7, 2015

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

fuf posted:

It's $58?

Its $58 if you don't charge any money for making the site. If you do, they want $2,900 from you.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Ok, my mistake then :)

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Surprise T Rex posted:

What's the easiest way to use WooCommerce to set up a virtual product (a service, not a physical item or digital download) that's something like "£10 for the first 1000 words, plus another £5 for every additional 1000"? Ideally, it'd be possible to also have the price (initial and 'per 1000 words') change based on three tiers of service.

Would I need to have a 'base' product and a separate '1000 words' product per tier, and bundle them together somehow? How do I protect against weirdness like accidentally ordering one of the 'base' tiers and ordering a bunch of extra words from a different tier entirely?

Does your order range get really high? Something like 37k words? Or are they nearly always under 10-15k?
Otherwise, the easiest would probably set up few filters (Using a t-shirt store for example: t-shirts are available in red, blue and black. Sizes XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL etc All colours and sizes have different prices.). In our case, just replace colours with tiers and XXS with £10/1k words, XS with £15/2k words and so on.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Disharmony posted:

How do I make the "Read More" button appear only for posts with more than 120 words?

Probably not 100% correct, but something along these lines, some themes do it differently. Add to functions.php:

function excerpt_length( $length ) {
return 120;
}
add_filter( 'excerpt_length', 'new_excerpt_length');

You could probably search for excerpt in your functions.php and replace the number with 120. Remember to use a child theme, otherwise all your changes will be lost when your theme updates.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Bradzor posted:

To avoid the problem of losing it on a theme update, just make a new PHP file in your plugins directory and add a plugin header to it. You also want to make sure you prefix your function, so that if a function named 'excerpt_length' exists, your site won't break.

Thanks.:)
Turns out that making plugins is way easier than I thought. After seeing this I made my first plugin that filters visible categories. yay progress!

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Any random wordpress theme would do it with a few lines of CSS.
Just set navbar to fixed and whatever you wanted the menu items to do(something like first green, second red etc?), is also pretty quick fix.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 1, 2016

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

melon cat posted:

I'll be setting up a Wordpress.org site for a local business. Super excited. I've done this for myself and a few buddies before, but nothing for a "real" paying client.

What's the best way to set up a staging area for the Wordpress site? I'm thinking that I can set up a subdomain under my own webspace. But once I've done that- how do I migrate the staging area's site to their hosting? I've never had to do this before, but really want to learn how while protecting myself and giving my client the ability to view the website before it goes live. I've checked online for advice on this but a lot of the resources are really outdated.

Subdomain on your server is for showing client how everything will look. Install something like DesktopServer and develop locally. Developing locally will save you quite a lot of time over the whole process.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Fanatic posted:

So I've finally needed to learn ACF and have a dumb question.

In the screenshots of this tutorial: https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/adding-fields-posts/, how did he add an "Events" button to his admin menu?

First, he created a Custom Post Type, and named it events. Then he created/modified the existing single post template for that custom post type to query the data fields from ACF.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
For a moment, switch theme to one of the Twenty.. default themes. If comments appear, then there is something wrong with your current theme.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
You want a page template.

Specifically page template that is meant for the front page.
1. Create file called front-page.php and drop it into the theme folder. WordPress will use it every time when you go to the front page.
2. Copy/paste content from index.php into it.
3. Start modifying the template. First column query posts based on tag A, second column post based on tag B, and login/ads into the third one.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Security updates get backported to older versions also. Currently WP 3.7 still gets security updates released for it. So he should be okay on that end.

E; Actually, it depends on if he has minor updates allowed or are all updates blocked. Check your wp-config file for that info. If even minor security updates are blocked, then I hope you have good backups, because your site has many widely known and public security holes :D

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 27, 2018

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

fuf posted:

Wish there was a "security updates only" option. Same for plugins. Once a site is working I want it to just stay exactly the same.

Unless things have changed, there is major/minor auto-update option. Minor being the security updates.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
You still keep getting security updates. I think the latest version still currently getting security updates, is 3.something

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Yea, the official plan is to replace all shortcodes with Gutenberg blocks. In the end, you should be able to download a specific block from the block library, and just use that.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Don“t see any reason why WordPress shouldn“t work. Few custom post types and some sort of membership plugin should cover most of it. WordPress to MailChimp integration is pretty easy, i usually set it up to automatically send out certain categories at certain time. After that I never have had to touch them.

greazeball posted:

Oh that's another thing I was wondering, what is the update cycle like these days? I have my own WP site that I just kind of left to wither and I remember there seemed to be monthly things I had to update or patch or something like that (I could be misremembering it in a bitchy haze). Have things settled down a bit by now? And am I still going to get floods of spam comments injected into every post or has Wordfence taken care of that?

Around three major updates per year, plus some automatic security updates. They now also have a way to set plugins to update themselves automatically. Unless your site is really old, I wouldn“t really worry about updates breaking things.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 10, 2020

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Something simple with ACF, text and checkboxes and CSV export/Import should do most of it. Photo for planogram should also cover most of the needs.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Empress Brosephine posted:

Any of you know if its possible to "dynamically" create coupon codes for WOoCommerce? i.E. you have a list of people and you want to create a coupon code per person, if that makes sense?

I was having issues trying to word it correctly to search for it

Do these people already have accounts on the site? Having an email or already existing user makes it easier.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Generate a bunch of unique coupon codes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Can't you do it with just hierarchycal categories?

TX category has a child -> dallas category, etc