Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006

A $699 CD lathe.
In a series of tests, Dr. Erich Schrott and engineer Wolfgang Schneider determined that beveling the edge of a disk at 36 degrees could dramatically reduce scattered light and thereby audibly improve the sound.

The Golden Goddess 'Super Effect' Speaker Bullets incorporate a newly developed combination of carbon nanotube and gold-based quantum purification technologies.
Sure they do:rolleyes:..and only for a meager $4200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006

Wayne Donnelly posted:

At the quantum mechanical level, as electrons flow through conductive materials, various types of noise phenomena occur—1/F noise, shot noise, etc....Getting rid of that quantum mechanical noise yields quieter, blacker backgrounds, more exciting dynamics, purer tonality, more precise and expanded spatial resolution, etc., etc

I think thats been the problem with my hifi setup all along. drat you quantum mechanical noise!:bang:

Squibbles posted:

Hear that? It gets rid of noise you can't hear which makes everything sound better (after you listen to it for a week... or maybe a month)!

Everybody knows that a good 200 hour burn-in is neccesary to bring out the quantum mechanical noise suppressing abilities of great carbon nanotube and gold-based quantum purification technologies.

I might somehow reluctantly accept that an active analog electronic circuit or dynamic speaker might benefit from some burn in time and make a difference in frequency output at least from the standpoint of a series of advanced measurements. But i didn't realize that a goddamn speaker spade needs burn in time...:cry:

I guess Jack Bybee laughs all the way to the bank, while he diligently sacrifices his time and knowledge to rid the world of quantum mechanical noise and developing other audiophile placebo crap. According to Wayne, Mr. Bybee has at least been at it since 1996. If he has managed to create a business for more than 13 years years peddling expensive audio placebo, while I'm whining in some dark corner of the internets on a friday night, then maybe I really shouldn't be so smug on Jack's behalf...:downsgun:

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006

KillHour posted:

Those speaker cables. :suicide:

"Due to the extreme engineering behind these cables, proper burn in will begin to occur after several hundred hours."

Begin to occur.

I guess they don't do refunds.

http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/cables/speaker-cables/

Over four decades of engineering research and expertise from some of the brightest minds in audio today went into the design of the Evolution Acoustics interconnects, speaker cables and power cords. Each cable model undergoes years of testing and research before ever reaching the market

:stare: 4 decades of copper cable development?

Evolution Acoustics CEO: "We need to develop a new model of speaker cables, the Sales Dept. has reported that the old model has stagnated in sales!"
Elite Audio Engineering Dept.: "Sure boss, it'll be ready in 2+ years. We've got our best people working on it."
Evolution Acoustics CEO: "2+ years?"
Elite Audio Engineering Dept.: "We also have to test the cable properly. That's at least 8 months!"
Evolution Acoustics CEO: "Excellent! Keep up the good work!"

I halfheartedly tried to find the price of some Evolution Acoustics speaker cables and I found it under reviews: Evolution Acoustics' DRSC speaker cables ($5000/pair)

For that price they really should be pre-burned in for at least 1000 hours?

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006
Since there isn't an Crazy Old Rich Guys Awesome Audio Systems Thread I thought I would post this here:

Here's a "nice" horn system:

Subwoofer horn extended into the front yard:stare:

Including a very nice Espresso maker/time machine?:

More here: (The only source I could get?)
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/10834-you-want-audio-this-is-pretty-flippin-crazy/

More from that thread:
Jeremy Kipnis $6,000,000 home theater system:

Giant brick & mortar subwoofer enclosure from Spain:

Also The Ultimate Audiophile CD-player:airquote:
Modded Playstation 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzFISVx1mXc
I have to admit they look pretty good. I've should have kept my old PS1:colbert:

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006

quote:

The addition of 24 karat gold fills the micro cracks and the empty spaces between the crystal boundaries to improve transmission properties, while also inhibiting the surface oxidation and tarnishing that will occur over time otherwise." These custom, precious metal fuses are also cryogenically treated. Finally, the Supreme fuses are treated with a proprietary quantum level process.
...these replacement super premium fuses are hand-made and tested in Germany.
http://www.electromod.co.uk/hifi-tuning-fuses.asp
Primary side fuses! The "Capacitor parallel to a rectifier" symbol is just a logo. The fuse is made of a "cryogenically treated, gold plated, etc." plain wire.
I wonder how they tested the particular fuse that some audiophile crazy can purchase? :downsrim:
There's no price on the above link, so I was curious:

quote:

Introductory pricing is $50 each for the 0.75" (5x20mm) small size and $75 each for the 1.25" (6.3x32mm) large size. The all silver tip-to-tip SilverStar fuses, and the original Gold-Plated fuses continue at prices ranging from $39.95 (small SilverStar and Gold-Plated) to $49.95 (large Gold-plated) and $59.95 (large SilverStar).
Here's more from this wonderful company:
http://www.hifi-tuning.com/index_eng.html

Nice power wooden strip including spikes for only $8500
STRADIVARI No. 6 - Reference Power Plant

Spikes on a power strip? Wasn't spikes initially invented to provide stability for heavy 70's speakers wobbling on 70's thick carpet?