Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

KozmoNaut posted:

Ethan Winer has a massive hardon for room treatments (which he also happens to sell through his company Realtraps), but other than that, his head is on straight when it comes to audio.

Here's an interesting comparison of hi-res audio to CD and MP3:

https://www2.ia-engineers.org/iciae/index.php/icisip/icisip2013/paper/viewFile/160/146

In the comparison between hi-res and 128kbps MP3 (newest LAME version), 55.6% preferred hi-res over MP3. That's not exactly a resounding win for hi-res audio.

Read through the paper and see how many questions you have for their testing methods and procedures, because holy hell there are a lot of iffy parts to it. Like for instance, why are they using CBR instead of VBR for MP3? Does anyone actually use CBR anymore except maybe 320kbps (and they really should be using -V0 or lossless instead)?

Lmao the sample size is only 28. This study is completely bogus. No mention of any of their statistical analysis, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah but it sounds so warm, and the audioscape is much deeper, right?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Not audiophile but Bose have released a set of speakers that you sit on your shoulders... they look as dumb as that sentence sounds.

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/produc...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can't wait until people on the bus are blasting these

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

wow

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Fruit stripe gum wrappers woven into a rope

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, if you haven’t just abandoned some cabs are you truly a bassist? The 1x15 was left at a friends house and the 4x10 I left at a venue id go to all the time and when I stopped giggling I told them to keep it for backline. Neither cost me a huge amount and space in my house was more a premium than the money spent.

I hope they’re still out there doing their thing, like those magical pants that the girls in the movie sent to eachother.

Lmao I've given away two bass amps to students of mine

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Mederlock posted:

I dunno CD's are pretty awesome. Fantastic quality for all but the most "resolving" of systems, small form factor, fairly durable compared to Tape or Vinyl LP, and now they're very affordable second hand. I have probably over 200 records, and have a Tidal subscription, but I find myself enjoying and picking up CD's a lot too

My aux cable port stopped working on my car and I can't get under the dash to fix it, so I've been listening to the 7 CDs I own a lot for the past few weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Do you know how old the dirt that surrounds the fiber lines is?

I want to sell you new dirt. It’s more conductive.

Warning: do not use new dirt as ground.