Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Omegaslast posted:

anyone who uses a pair of coathangers is retarded thats a great way to have metal touching metal and trip your amp (or if your amp doesnt trip it just totally destroys it).

The use of coat hanger wire in that test was to prove a point. No one should run bare wire leads in day to day listening of course.

Also,

CABLE ELEVATORS PLUS

'Elevate' your musical experience with the best cable supports on the market! You can gain significant improvements in the sound of your audio or home theater system by elevating your speaker and power cables off the floor. The improvements you will hear in detail and dynamics are not subtle. Many of you have already reported tremendous increases in clarity, tonal accuracy, and dynamics with Cable Elevators in place.

'The drat things do lower noise, increase dynamics, remove haze, and open up the top octaves. Once you listen to their effects, even a skeptic like me has to admit that it is hard to take them back out of the system. Music sounds more like music with the Cable Elevators in place. I recommend them strongly, especially given their price!' — Jonathan Valin, The Absolute Sound

But Pfff, ceramic is so low buck, the discerning audiophile needs some bling.

Doc Spratley fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

The Acoustic System Phase Corrector may look like a simple instrument grade maple block but its inner workings are more complex. When you walk around your listening room you will notice pockets of greater energy density. One of these energy pockets occurs between the loudspeakers and is concentrated at the interface between the floor and the front wall. From the listening position the result is a blurring of the phase coherency. The phase corrector, as its name suggests, attempts to correct this phenomenon by disrupting the energy pocket near the floor/front wall interface through a combination of resonance and diffusion. The degree of resonance can be altered by varying the distance between the phase corrector and the front wall.

This is a basic package of 10 resonators and one diffuser. You can vary the package and upgrade as budget allows.

A bargain at $2450

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

proudfoot posted:

This is basically what I meant, after around the 5k mark, you can't really do anything but room treatment. Any gains in upgrading your speakers/dacs/etc will be minimal, and "esoteric" stuff like cables is utterly pointless.

Room treatment, however, does make a noticeable improvement.

You may also try digital room eq'ing.

I was thinking about getting a thread going on this, just need to get a new mic for measurements.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni
Twiin is right on, REW is what I have been dabbling with.

REW is Room EQ Wizard... an extremely popular and accurate application for measuring room responses and correcting modal resonances.

Click here for the full 1082x652 image.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/ is the place to start.

This paragraph tickled the geek in me and seduced me into reading more.

Room EQ Wizard is a Java application for measuring room responses and correcting modal resonances. It includes tools for generating test signals; measuring SPL; measuring frequency and impulse responses; generating spectral decay plots, waterfalls and energy-time curves; generating real time analyzer (RTA) plots; calculating reverberation times; displaying equaliser responses and automatically adjusting the settings of parametric equalisers to counter the effects of room modes.

That earlier graph I posted is not of my response btw. I am messing about with REW but I need to pickup a proper microphone.

The dip I believe is a bass null due to the room? I am striving to learn more about this sort of thing. I think that would have to be addressed with room treatment as Hypnolobster suggests.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Hand of Doom posted:

Note that it's almost pointless EQing the system ruler flat - it's only ruler flat at the spot where the calibration mic sits. It might make things worse elsewhere...

(Though there is benefits to doing this for the lower frequencies)

That is why the calibration mic is set at exactly my head placement in my listening chair where I sit for 98% of my listening.

Another option might be to take measurements from various listening locations in the room and aim for a 'best average', try and see if you can garner some improvement on average overall.

Granted, you can't always get ruler flat response everywhere in your environment, and in fact it might sound kinda dead, many clubs and live venues might dial in a 'house curve' to sweeten the sound a bit.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Neurophonic posted:

Did you prefer the sound like this? It goes quite strongly against the measured average response curve of the human ear, and every time I’ve EQ’d a system perfectly flat it’s sounded far too bright in the midrange and like there’s nowhere near enough bass.

self quoting from earlier this thread.

"Granted, you can't always get ruler flat response everywhere in your environment, and in fact it might sound kinda dead, many clubs and live venues might dial in a 'house curve' to sweeten the sound a bit."

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni
Rebadging happens quite a bit in audio.

Here is the Red Rose M1 Multichannel Audio Video Amplifier

For the first time, a high end purist multichannel amplifier from Mark Levinson and his associates.

As you would expect from Mark Levinson and his associates, the M1 is a no-compromise amplifier for recordings of music, and can be compared with the most expensive separate stereo components for sonic quality.

The M1 costs $5,000.

OR

You can buy the exact same item from the source :ssh:

Dussun (KorSun) D9 Multi-Channel Amplifier

$867

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

proudfoot posted:

Audiophile grade ram modules.

Monster© Sata Cables - "Turn your BitStream into a BitRiver! Powered by Monster BitFlow© technology"

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni
I was reading a page from Italy that detailed a monstrous in-floor horn loaded subwoofer system.

When this caught my eye, "The Royal Device Audio Room features 3 sub-atomic particle accelerators on SPDIF data transmission".

I was hoping for something like this...

It wasn't that cool.

'wth would you use a particle accelerator for?', you may ask.

Time Machine! :science:

Any type of talking is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

jonathan posted:

Bob Crites has this writeup on speaker break in. I take his opinion as fact.

Just wanted to pop in and say that Bob Crites is an awesome guy to deal with, replies to emails within minutes and really knows his stuff. He won't steer you wrong. Very reasonable prices as well.

I'm eyeing some of his CT125 tweeters for my Cornwalls.