Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

MaberMK posted:

Coming soon to an A/V store near you: a screen to go over the stereo display that dims the light so it doesn't gently caress up the air your sound travels through!

My receiver already has a 'turn off display' feature :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Audiot posted:

If I remember right, that feature is supposed to draw less from the power supply and cause less noise in the system overall. Whatever. I have seen conversions to systems to run off all battery power in order to cut out power supply ripple/ noise induced into the system. I'm not into it enough to have to charge car batteries to listen to some tunes.

I think my sarcasm detector might be broken, but I'm pretty sure Denon put that there so I can watch DVDs without distracting lights.

Audiot posted:

I've also witnessed people arguing over having identical speaker cable lengths. The got to the point that we had to calculate out the delay in a 25' cable vs. a 50' cable to prove to the guy that he wouldn't be able to hear the difference and that no phasing or comb filtering would be caused by that. This was on a concert system, BTW.

gently caress, I am an idiot. All of my math for the cabling in my new apartment has been calculated with equal length cables for left and right. It's just what I was taught by my dad, I never thought to do the math for the timing and see if it really mattered. Nevermind the fact that my stereo has auto-calibration that would correct delays anyway. :doh:

Audiot posted:

It's amazing how many issues there are with systems that are overlooked in favor of going out and spending money on "long strand cable". The other one I have always liked is installing hospital grade plugs. Your house/ apartment is wired with good old romex, so how can changing the edison plug to a new fancy one with a green triangle on it really be that much better. I have yet to hear of someone rewiring their listening room circuits with fancy cable. Come to think of it, who wants in on the ground floor of a company making/ selling audiophile grade circuit breakers? Untapped market here!

Heh, that was the best part about 'Ultra Speed!' modem cables. Yes, I'm sure the weak link in the 20 miles of cable to the isp is the 8 feet from your wall to your computer.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

gently caress

Patrick82 posted:

I asked them 18 months ago and a roll of ERS Paper costs $6500 in Sweden. The roll is the same size as 225 sheets of ERS Paper. They offered me 30% discount ($4550), but it's still cheaper to buy it one sheet at a time from Partsconnexion without any discounts ($4500). When I cover my walls with ERS Paper, I will tape together small pieces.

That guy bought 100 sheets to do that. $2000

You would think that these guys would buy a loving oscilloscope already for that kind of money.

Also, laughing at the thought that this stuff 'absorbs' EFI/RMI. Actually, that gives me a really good idea. I'm going to sell an ERS paper cleaner.

This post is just magical:

TheSateliteGuy posted:

Patrick you are too cool with your pictures of 100 lb power cables. I have tried to share some great tweaks with head-fi people but every time I mention anything they show up at my house with sheets on their heads and burning crosses so I do not tell anyone here about great stuff anymore. My question is this. With all your ERS paper are your schumann frequency generators still effective. When I slipped a half sheet in between my HR Deshtop power supply and amp my REM 8 only offered a slight improvement where as with no paper it is a huge SQ improvement. BTW I got a portable schumann freq gen set from EMF Safety Superstore- "Electromagnetic Field Detection & Protection". and it is the t**s with my portable grip. Their earthsafe wholehouse unit is quite a bit more powerful than Accoustic Revives and retails for $249 US....Satelliteguy

Really? Really?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

You should be able to notice the difference between 128 and 256-320, but I've never, ever been able to hear a difference between that and any of the lossless codecs.

Well, yeah. Kind of what they mean by lossless, as in, "No different from the original once it's decoded."

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

I mean the difference between 256 and lossless.

:v:

I am completely unable to read. :cry:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Audio grade outlets: because that's where the weak link is in your power system.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/10/25/the-14772-audio-grad.html

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Chris Martens posted:

Little did I know at the time that the blog would become a magnet for critical commentary from self-proclaimed “real electrical engineers” eager to stamp their feet, make disparaging comments, and to argue (or even to “prove”) that high quality USB cables can’t possibly make an audible difference. My thought: perhaps engineers—like politicians—would be better creative problem solvers if only they were not blinded by what the late President Reagan might have termed “the things they know that just aren’t so.”

Uh, what? Blinded by SCIENCE?

The comments are awesome though:

Michael G posted:

This is the kind of black magic that makes me shake my head and cry. I make peace with it by reminding myself that freedom of religion is a fundamental part of a civil society.

Hey, I've wasted more than $100 and hookers and booze ... who am I to criticize Chris? ;-)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
What language is he speaking? It sounds like English, but I can't derive any meaning from it. It's just nonsense.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Next up: Audiophile grade SATA cables!

http://www.malcolmsteward.co.uk/?p=2479

quote:

I have disabled Comments on this post so that respectable visitors do not have to read the remarks made by a small number of extremely ignorant, rude, malicious and disingenuous individuals who cannot tolerate people expressing opinions that do not concur with their own.

read: "I want to believe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah drat, I just wanted to post this.

Seriously, why are these people so loving obtuse and simply don't want to understand binary encoding systems and transmission?

I really doubt that anything beyond 16bit makes any sense with a good DAC, except in a mixing environment.

I think it's loving darling that he thinks the data lines were susceptible to interference in his NAS. Guess what guy, when you have interference on your SATA cable that means your files are loving corrupted!