Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
All craziness cannot be beaten by the 3D Mat. What is the 3D Mat, and what makes it 3D? Well, a 2D mat would be physically impossible, and we cannot harness time to make a 4D mat, and a 5D mat would be impossible to purchase at audiophile prices.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/marigo-labs-signature-3d-mat-7-2005.html

Now, initially, it 'darkened' the high-ends, but aside from that, it was apparently so startling that THEY NEEDED TO USE IT despite the darkened high-ends. Now, what the gently caress is a darkened high-end and how the hell does one darken sound, I don't know. It's like musicality, it has no intrinsic meaning, but I can assure you that our reviewer has the quality components, so that darkening had to come from the mat.

That, or the voices in his head.

Now, here's the best paragraph in the whole review:
"I pray that my spouse never learns that my colleague has committed the unmentionable: running long lengths of speaker cable under the floor from his two massive speakers to equipment racks conveniently placed to the left of the sweet spot. Worse, he has violated one of the cardinal rules of audiophile set-up by placing a glass-topped coffee table directly in front of his couch. Such choices honor aesthetics, leave spouses relatively content, and make changing CDs pretty easy, but involve sonic compromises that I refuse to make for the sake of a spouse who has yet to glance at my three-rack mini-universe without derision."

OH MY GOD! Putting wiring under the carpet...

AND WHAT'S THIS? A GLASS TABLE. Sir, are you an audiophile or just another poseur who thinks that just because they buy expensive equipment that they have good sound. I bet that your record player still has it original needle.

But wait, it gets even worse:

"Although I found the treble a little harsh even after the verboten glass-topped coffee table was covered with a pillow, I was greatly impressed with soundstaging, imaging, and solid bass response. There was great beauty to the sound. Nonetheless, there was no way that I could pretend that I was listening to tube equipment. The glare and lack of warmth and air associated with much solid-state amplification could not be ignored."

Solid state? How gauche.

I dare not even try to understand the technology, just let me explain that somehow, our CD lasers are losing information. Now, granted, why this doesn't gently caress up our software (or maybe our cheap CD drives that aren't up to audiophile standards are responsible for bugs) is never explained, but I'm guessing having no understanding at how digital works is the price you pay for embracing analogue at all costs.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/51325

Here, you can order it here.

http://www.marigoaudio.com/secrets.htm

And more write ups on it!

Up next - a 30 dollar green marker that uh... does something to CDs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
But did you spend $500 dollars to get that feature? I'm sure if it's built in, it must be causing some jitter or time-pockets or wormholes that negatively affect the sound.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

proudfoot posted:

No worries - at least you're willing to listen. People with knowledge in electrical engineering tend to bang our heads against the walls when we visit an audiophile forum.

Audiophiles are really great at completely missing the point of any argument and hanging onto any scrap of the argument that seems to contradict what you said, especially if it is the most superficial contradiction possible.

For example, I was discussing how the data written onto a CD couldn't possibly affect the bass and the treble, since it would either be the signal from the digital master or it would be some form of nonsense if there was an error.

The audiophile then talked about jitter and read errors and other poo poo.

I respond by asking "how do we use CDs for data storage if they are so prone to errors" and then going into a deep explanation of Reed-Solomon error correction and bit-parity and how it would mask errors, and since unless it was a particularly bad error, you wouldn't even notice it, and if you did, it would be a total drop out or reduction to mono, or at the catastrophic level, the player stopping and stopping, and skipping ahead randomly.

His reply, "Well, Red Book Audio doesn't require a perfect audio stream."

I decided to give up there. He took my initial question, ignored everything I had to say about how accurate CD lasers really are, and just went ahead and repeat some fallacy that ignores all the facts.

Arguing with an audiophile is like trying to explain to an atom what the color green looks like through a red lens.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

You know what my favorite thing is about these 'audiophile' video components is that 99% of the time, the people reviewing them, despite having a crazily expensive stereo with billions of tweaks, watch them on a dinky television that was low-end when it came out 30 years ago. Except for the audio. Somehow they have their lovely TV hooked up to a high quality set of speakers.

It's like that 3D mat review. The guy basically goes "My 13 inch Zenith VCR/Combo might not have the best picture, but I can swear, the DVD looks rounder with the mat! Just let me adjust the V-hold a bit..."