Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

TenementFunster posted:

that is like the only thing I've picked up around "audiophiles" which even half-way makes sense to me. i wanted to scream the first time i heard about burning in cables however

hey man all the harshness from a new silver cable goes away after 459.3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Xenomorph posted:

All I know about music:

After spending ~$120 on some desktop speakers, I swear 128kbps and 192/256kbps MP3s sound different.

You should be able to notice the difference between 128 and 256-320, but I've never, ever been able to hear a difference between that and any of the lossless codecs.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

kuffs posted:

Well, yeah. Kind of what they mean by lossless, as in, "No different from the original once it's decoded."

I mean the difference between 256 and lossless.

:v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Devian666 posted:

I believe most audiophiles have no technical understanding. They're ripe for exploitation.

I think it's pretty obvious that they're being nicely exploited, otherwise they'd actually be making all their power cables, instead of spending 12k on them.

I keep trying to think of something to make and sell to audiophiles, but I'm fairly sure I don't have the creativity to come up with anything so far fetched that people will actually buy it. My last resort is just going to be making wooden volume knobs, but inlaying pieces of brass and silver. It'll make it WARM BUT DETAILED AND THE MIDS REALLY COME OUT.

e:

Omegaslast posted:

Some people think room treatments can do more for sound than simply upgrading speakers (i dont really but some do). However i do subscribe to the belief that room treatments are the biggest change in sound right after a better loud speaker. I think amps just need to be "adequate", and dont really change the sound, cd players and dac do almost nothing, especially for the high prices. So basically if you want to get more out of your speakers dont look at upgrading the gear, you should look at sound treatments, as they will get you closer to how the speaker is actually supposed to sound.
:glomp:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

bacon! posted:

I just have a stereo integrated amp without an equalizer

Build some bass traps and then just stop worrying about it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Even the bigger players seem to be cashing in on the expensive cable game - http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

Sure, its nicely built but US$499 for 1.5m of Cat5? Nice one, Denon.

I'm a little ashamed of my wonderful ancient Denon receiver now :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I don't get why a $300,000 system is setup in a room with, from a glance, isn't even setup perfectly. I don't recall ever seeing a really finished setup without some pretty blatant bass traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

blugu64 posted:

room sized faraday cages.

Made of silver coated gold mesh?