Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's basically "I liked them before they got famous" but afterwards instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A signal through a USB connection is 100% quantifiable. It's not like the overtones or whatever can be lost in transmission. Either the signal is good or it is corrupt. Digital audiophile stuff is really an amazing market. With any luck, it makes a slight high pitched noise while operating, effectively making the sound technically worse.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Isn't the typical latency of BT headphones pretty much counterproductive to his use-cases? You only get low latency with manufacturer specific combinations, like Airpods and iPhones or Galaxy Buds and Samsung Phones, because they use their own proprietary communication modes or codecs, respectively.

I tried using Bluetooth for laptop+hi-fi streaming. The latency is like half a second, which is absolutely ages when it comes to speech. It was almost unwatchable honestly because the mouths were giving me completely different information. I imagine gaming is the same or worse.

Also you lose some warm mids or whatever due to the humidity affecting the wireless signal. No you don't

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There's probably a lot of crossover to "knowledge" about guitar amps, where tubes are highly valued exactly because of the way they shape the sound (distortion and EQ, possibly compression). Having a 100 watt tube amp for your guitar makes sense if you want to play super loud and also get awesome tones. I'm betting that some audiophiles just took "tubes are good" from that, probably influenced by classic rock guitarists, and audiophiled their way from there.

But the last thing you want in a hi-fi amp is distortion, so it's dumb.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I posted this on the stupid music poo poo thread:

relevant to the current discussion is this part:

quote:

Of course, unlike Fender guitars, turntables cannot be allowed to resonate. To ensure no such problems would occur and disturb the otherwise beautiful design and sound, Mobile Fidelity Electronics turned to acoustics expert Mike Latvis at Harmonic Resolution Systems.

Of course, tonewood is hugely important to guitar audiophiles.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

qirex posted:

"Timing" is my favorite too, like they seem to imply that on a cheap amp the sounds come out in the wrong order. What Hifi seems to be the prime offender here, they'll talk about cables or even a surge protector improving timing or "organization"

In theory, i think a stereo setup with vastly different cable lengths combined with a record with heavy panning could produce something approaching bad timing. I'd guess it would be literal kilometers before it would be noticeably worse than the musicians on a lot of records though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

To be specific:

Moving your head an inch will change the synchronization of the sound you hear by .15 milliseconds.

10 kilometers of extra cable will change it by .05 milliseconds.

I have a new device to market: the head cage for audiophiles - keep your head 100% in the right place.

Also my wife says thanks, because I actually kind of bought into having the cables being the same length, and now I don't have to.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mederlock posted:

"sense of vinyl" lmbo

Completely clear sound, also distortion from an inaccurate storage medium.

Edit: lmao, it's for running your OS on, not for the actual music, which can be stored somewhere else apparently.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 2, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Just set it to 432 nm (it matches nature’s perfect tuning frequency) and rake it in.

If we're doing nature's perfect tuning frequency, why not a device that naturally converts music to the superior frequency? Just slow everything down slightly, so 440 becomes 432. Special settings for orchestral music that is ISO 16 noncompliant.

We're going for a different breed of audiophile, because it will absolutely impact the sound, but I think it could work.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

qirex posted:

The wonderful side implication, of course, is that anything that doesn't use acoustic instruments isn't worth listening to.

I take it you've not talked to classical music nerds? This is a very real demographic, with a very small overlap to audiophiles on account of the recording not being able to reproduce the true acoustic sound.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything apart from potentially the smell

Aesthetics. Also it would actually make a small room noticeably smaller.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

And what you're getting is, at best, a perfect reproduction of a guy who can't sing worth a drat, playing some songs that he will completely change the arrangements on because the musical specifics are not important to the actual songs.
And the original recording is poo poo of course.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The recording engineer on my band's EP specifically borrowed the drummer's weird hi-fi setup (which was a bunch of crap he got in trades) to get a feel for how the result would be from something that was not his own professional monitors. You gotta mix for both audiophile setups, typical users and idiots if you want a truly good mix.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Assuming the yellow-green note is a specific frequency, it should be possible to set up a room where the frequency has a dead spot due to reflection and/or stereo shenanigans. So you just need to be exactly there. Sort of the opposite of the suspicions chair location.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I also turn up all the knobs on equalisers to make the sound better. It's even better that the I/II thing makes it look like their product is past the distortion threshold.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Crossposting this from the stupid music poo poo thread:

Kingo Ligma posted:

Today's lmao:

https://www.madscientist-audio.com/bmusb.html

A $500 USB cable.

Of the insanity that makes up the sales pitch this was my favourite:

Digital audiophile gear remains the dumbest poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How much is burning in your speakers just audiophile mumbo jumbo? Is it actually a real thing, or just 100% bullshit?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The big OP has a lot more defined base, more middle of the road consensus, and less sharp trouble. However, the musicality is a lot better and more organic when you just have a decades long string of posts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It would be nice with a few examples of ridiculous and non-ridiculous stuff in the OP. Like solid gold fuses and regular high end speakers

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are tube amps inherently bad though? If there's enough headroom, isn't it more in the placebo category? Sure, they can have some EQ going on, but is that really on the same scale as distortion on an LP?

Of course, the tubes can distort as well, but then it's just not the right amp for the job

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In the age of digital mixers at least, having a bunch of channels in the recording and mixing process is just how it is. I think it's only when you export the master to whatever playable medium you want that you flatten it to left/right. So if you have 69 channels in your output, and a lot of time to fiddle with placement, you might as well use them

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bigman.50grand posted:

The device I'm reading this on is not powered with solid pure silver cable, but I can assure you that the device I'm subsuming this on is powered by pure colloidal silver.

There's a whole untapped market for audiophile dietary supplements! Improve your treble hearing by eating this gold covered folic acid! Only 99$ per pill

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A digital filter that balances the 1s and 0s so there's exactly the same amount of each.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Fortunately ethernet already does this

Wait, what? How does that not gently caress the data up if it just do happens to contain a bunch of zeros (like my posting)?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mederlock posted:

I just wish I had speed correction on my old Hitachi PS-15. It tracks just slightly too slow. She's pretty though:

You just know hitachi brings just the right vibrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I place my phone with loudspeaker on the pickup of my guitar and run it via the pickup into my overdriven Marshall stack.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This actually sounds kinda rad.

It is. It's also definitely the least faithful reproduction of the recording short of a cover.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also just lmao at choosing a 60s rock band debut album for your mind shattering experience. I cannot stress how much time pressure and other budget issues would make that record sound like poo poo from a technical perspective, and that's assuming they had a recording engineer who knew what he was doing and wasn't bullied into making bad choices by the band. Even assuming that the snake oil works, it's basically upsampling a 00s mp3.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If you're grounding yourself to the system, your might as well go all in and just feed the amplified electrical signal into your body and/or brain.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Brain? Everyone knows the best neural interface for audio is the nipples.

Actually, I don't honestly know much about the power flowing through speaker cables. Theoretically, if I were to hook my amplifier up to my nipples instead of my speakers, where would I be on a scale from not even aroused to electrocuted?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have a coworker who played renaissance flute at a high level. From her I have learned that most symphony orchestras actually use 442hz because gently caress you, and every single renaissance musician uses a different frequency because gently caress you. For flutes, you can't just adjust it, you need a different flute.

Anyway, only rock/jazz/pop/etc uses 440 anyway, despite ISO 16

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boss has these guitar amp headphones that simulate your speaker's location if that's something you'd want.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I posted this in the stupid music poo poo thread. Consensus was that it is indeed stupid, but also any serious touring band should have one. For audiophile points, the cigarette lighter is apparently a pretty noisy piece of wiring, so it works as an inverse signal cleaner.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

qirex posted:

There must be some amazing orange sofas, fur rugs and hanging plants in the accompanying pictures.

Ironically all things that could have a way bigger positive impact on your listening experience than audiophile nonsense.

But yeah, I also want to read about how hiring a couple of hot chicks to stand on either side of your setup wearing very little clothing is the way to get music the way it's meant to be heard (also technically true for many bands)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Music you can gently caress to

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Adolf Glitter posted:

That reminds me, I need to get a 3.5mm to dingus adapter.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mozi posted:

Someone make an audiophile tube amp that supports Hue bulbs.

I assume you mean where you just stick the bulb in where the tube would normally go and have the actual amp be all digital? Because yeah, that could work. You could even do bespoke bulbs that only got signal from the amp and rig it to light up with relative volume.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I find that NAS is better suited for hip hop and related genres, and I vastly prefer flash memory for rock music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Do you know how old the dirt that surrounds the fiber lines is?

I want to sell you new dirt. It’s more conductive.

Warning: do not use new dirt as ground.

Is this dirt gold plated and depolarised though?