Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LRADIKAL posted:

Wow, that guy is awful! Little anime figures in a basement, talking about that 4K thing being A UNIT!

Isn't this something that computers can just do in software anyway? It's how VR works, right? How could virtual speakers be something you WANT while listening to music?

I honestly don’t ever know how to feel about Zeos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also the weird gun stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
It’s weird because a lot of the sexy bikini babe underboob fanart he features and performatively lusts over is of characters who are canonically teen and preteen middle/high school students.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Nice to have an alternative alternative to wannabe fancy lads like Andrew Robinson or Darko, IMO.

Lol that’s a great take.

If Darko and Robinson are wannabe fancy lads, and Zeos is an unapologetically fat anime pervert trash hoarder, is Zerofidelity an underarmor hat salesbro who “tells it like it is and isn’t afraid to trigger the snowflakes”?

Is Thomas&Stereo a stereotypical Asian weird hobby dad who would be breeding tropical fish if he weren’t collecting amplifiers?

Is Dave Guttenberg an effete NY old timer in the vein of Herb Reichert?

Are Josh Valour and DMS dumb headphone jocks?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Did someone insult your favorite youtuber with a throwaway joke? I don't think they meant it as an attack against you personally.

Neither did I? I was participating in the joke and mildly roasting a bunch of youtubers, all of whom I like to varying degrees and don’t have anything really negative to say about (minus Zeos’ apparent predilection for underaged bikini babes).

Rereading my post, I can see why it comes off as combative or sore, but that really wasn’t my intent at all. I legit thought the OP I was responding to was funny.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

If I didn't know who Steve Guttenberg was my mental image of an analog-centric audiophile would look exactly like him: in his 60s, long hair, ugly shirts, loves giant coffin-sized walnut speakers and Steely Dan. The Zero Fidelity guy is weird because he looks like that guy in sales who takes your office fantasy league way too seriously but he talks like an old Guttenberg-era vinyl guy. Thomas seems pretty harmless but he can definitely hear money. It's cool he gets his hands on really expensive stuff without having to be a press person, like you don't usually see people actually using $20k+ gear in videos.

About a decade ago when I was just getting into 2 channel and vinyl and Steve was still writing for CNET, I emailed him for advice on system-building and he wrote me back a very nice and very detailed letter which set me on the path to make some very good decisions that I otherwise wouldn’t have made when picking out my first set of components.

Steve’s also low-key very involved in progressive politics which is rad on its own, but also always seemed sort of rare to me in the world of old white audiophile dudes with wicked expensive audio systems. A lot of the old audiophiles I’ve interacted with are pretty fiscal GOP. Also he and his movie projectionist wife have a pretty cool background in the NY art/punk/weirdo scene.

I like that Thomas has been on an affordable Chi-Fi tube amp kick lately (apparently the Doge 10, R8, and Cayin are his holy trinity with all of them seriously impressing him and displaying different and complementary strengths). Also he appears to have a friendly tube amp beef going with ZeroFidelity at the moment.

He’s also a really nice dude to interact and correspond with and I’ll often go back and forth with him in YouTube comments.

ZeroFidelity gives pretty good advice but every interaction I’ve had with him has been kinda brusque, and last week he had a small meltdown about how he was “gonna be reviewing some expensive gear ($10k+) because this is a high end audio channel and that’s what ‘high end’ means and if that offends you then maybe you should go check out some $99 Black Friday deals instead” and the whole thing came off as needlessly combative and lovely to me (and kinda poor-shamey) in an announcement for a video.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 1, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Fair enough - on initial read it seemed salty and really defensive, but I may not have been in the best of moods myself at the time. A reread it seems less so, my bad.

Nah, I’ve been a smidge testy all day myself. I’ve been getting horrible sleep the last few days and it’s probably triggering some hypo-hypo-hypomania or whatever.

njsykora posted:

I'm not convinced there is such a thing any more as a record player that is both good and cheap since vinyl is such a money burning hobby anyway.

There’s tons of good gear, new and used. What do you call “cheap”?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I have a $1200 audio system and people who I know have like a $700/month car payment look at me like I'm insane for spending "so much." It's all about priorities.

“Why would you buy vintage gear? Because it looks nice? There’s no Bluetooth”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The bread and butter of “audiophile gear” from a sales and market standpoint is like a Yamaha AS301 or 501 for $300 and an LP120. And an RCA-to-headphone cable for plugging in a phone.

Like once you’re even thinking of the word “DAC” you’ve already metastasized to Tier 2. Anoraks and wannabe rich dudes turn up their noses at entry level gear, but the entry level gear is the 99.9% of the 0.00000001% of the market that even ever thinks about speakers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

taqueso posted:

why not a 700/mo stereo financing payment?

I’d need a patreon and a YouTube channel first

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

strtj posted:

Magnets on cables are nothing new in the world of scammery, but I bring you the next level:

Magnets for your optical cable!
https://www.highfidelitycables.com/digital/reveal/

This has to be an April Fools joke

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol that's what I get for looking at it on my phone

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

S/PDIF is almost always coaxial. You're thinking of Toslink.

Righto. It’s not optical, but it is still digital and putting a magnet on it is still :psyduck:

But OP said optical

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I like how they assume the recording was made in such ideal conditions that it would reproduce with such exquisite fidelity, and the key to making it sound more perfect is magic rocks on cords.

I want to make my listening environment and playback setup so pristine and revealing that I hear the mixing engineer fart. I want to hear the vibrations of the road noise from outside the studio. I want to hear the guitarist’s girlfriend doing lines of blow in the studio bathroom

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

binaryhermit posted:

Yeah, but the $650 audio setup has approximately 64350 advantages over the $65000 audio setup, if you catch my drift.

Exponentially more if you’re comparing a $650 setup from a good manufacturer vs a $65k kit build that some boomer made in his garage in batches of 10 and CNC’d his name onto

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'm gonna post here instead of quick audio questions. Want help with proper placement of my speakers as I just picked up a set of surrounds to round out my system, and am about to redo the living room. Here is how its going to be

Right now the TV is where the hall entrance is on the diagram. The sectional (gray boxes, plus ottoman) is really dumb against the opposite wall pictured, to the far right, so the end of the L is sticking out in the middle of the floor, like I said its all dumb. So I'm closing up the current hall entrance and swapping places with the TV/speakers, sectional can go cleanly against the wall and everything should be nice and tidy. There is an indent pictured that encloses the chimney for my furnace, so I had shelves installed in between that and the wall. I'm going to be placing my components there, right now its used for movies. The sub is currently under those shelves, I'm quite satisfied with the bass since adding it recently, but am I handicapping myself having it tucked in there, even though its front firing? The diagram is a bit misleading with regards to spacing, the living room is 12x15', its much more cramped than it appears (especially now as thats what its hypothetically going to be after christmas).

The main reason I'm posting is the surrounds, particularly the right one. Should I mount it more near the right of the sectional and just tilt it to the left towards it, rather than having it way over on the opposite wall where no ones sitting? I read 6' height is about right, is that correct?

You want your L and R surrounds to be as close to equidistant from the listener as possible, so yeah that Right Surround should be much closer to the sectional.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

polyester concept posted:

just like you don't actually need lossless music, you don't actually need lossless surround sound. just gimme a 5.1 ac3 stream til im dead in the ground

If the audio industry had focused on really selling people on 5.1 (ideally 5.2 IMO) and making it truly ubiquitous and accessible, instead of immediately treating it like the scrub-tier and pivoting to upselling consumers on 7/9/11/13/etc channels, then the state of home theater audio and the relative value that people could get out of multichannel audio and multichannel mixing would be much higher.

As it stands, you still get way more bang/buck and come out on the right side of the diminishing returns curve in terms of completing the “cinema experience” with the biggest, baddest, bassiest front R/L stereo you can afford/fit over pretty much any surround sound setup for similar money/with smaller speakers, and that’s a shame.

Don’t fewer than 10% of US households have 5.1 or higher? In 2020? And now more people would rather hook up their <$1k 75” 4K screens to soundbars, Bluetooth speakers, and smart speakers than to a receiver.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
a pair of Klipsch La Scalas, two large SVS subs, probably literally any 2-channel amplifier given the sensitivity of the La Scalas, and I guess throw in some kind of stereo subwoofer crossover if you wanna be fancy and do it “right”, will kick the poo poo out of pretty much any Atmos setup you could cobble together that isn’t itself made out of Klipsch La Scalas or similar if we’re thinking in terms of “immersion” and “impact”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Speaking of which, there’s a dude on YouTube- Youthman— who built a HT out of La Scalas and like four giant subs stacked on top of each other and it looks like it slaps

IIRC he made a false wall and put 3 La Scalas and two columns of two subs apiece behind an acoustically transparent ~140” screen

I’m not making fun of him, mind you, this is the 100% right kind of audiophile idiocy, the exception that proves the rule

Also I’m p sure it topped out at 5.4 (5.2?)

I think it was 3 LSs and 2 Heresys in the back. And then I think the Heresys were also eventually swapped out for two more La Scalas. La Scalae?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 15, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Aren't La Scala's a bit audiophool?

I'd argue you'd get much better performance out of properly equalised and measured JBL/Revel/Harman speakers in a treated room for literally a tenth of the cost

Probably from an objective “sound quality perspective”, but aside from the aforementioned Klipsch house sound, the really big Klipsch horn speakers are just really good at moving stupid volumes of air. Like even if they don’t get particularly deep they’re enormous, you’ve got like a 15” horn loaded woofer in a 4’ tall cabinet that can displace this relatively massive amount of air. And that’s before we add those bigass horn tweeters that Klipsch is so known for, and just how loud they can get with tiny amounts of power.

I think that combination of sensitivity, size, and for lack of a better term “brashness” really works in a home cinema setting, when the goal is so often to be overwhelmed by and enveloped in sound.

It’s kind of like comparing the experience of a well-tuned subwoofer that can get really deep to the point where you feel it and a fancy, super tarted up concert speaker that simply blows your head off with scale. It may not shine in certain aspects of home theater performance, like say—getting the most dynamic range or replicating a score with the highest degree of fidelity—but in other ways it’s very good at replicating the theatre experience by virtue of simply being so *big*. It reminds me of my HPM-900s and arguments about “East Coast” vs “West Coast” speaker voicing.

But also yeah—JBL is probably the one other major audio company aside from Yamaha that I straight up fanboy over, because they’re just so good at what they do, pretty much everything they make is at least ‘good’ or ‘as good as it can be in this segment’, and they’re completely no-nonsense about using their massive corporate scale and resources to make *actually* audiophile gear that’s *actually* well engineered and manufactured, and affordable + accessible to normal consumers instead of only chasing the bottom or going into luxury brand audiophoolery.

And the value for money that you get with their theater and JBL Synthesis stuff is probably unmatched if you really break it down. Also orange+blue is the best color combination even if it’s shared with the worst, most cursed NBA team

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the like 22-gauge cables that connect to the little IR sensors that come with modern garage door openers (no joking, I literally used a spool of this stuff as speaker wire when I was a kid/teen)

Edit: apparently it’s called “2 conductor bell wire”, because it has two wires, natch, and it’s predominantly sold for wiring up doorbells

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The grey one is an RCA cable. The coppery frizzy stuff is speaker wire. Sorry for your loss.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I fear your jokes are going straight over my head. I know jackshit about this stuff. But I guess the equipment is not worth much and I should let it go for cheap?

This thread is for making fun of the silly things that audiophile snake oil dudes do. If you would like honest and good-faith advice then you will gladly receive it in the 2-channel/vintage thread or the audio questions thread.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the fact that Chord Company remains profitable while countless people who actually work in the applied sciences fail to make ends meet is proof that God exists, and that God enjoys laughing at audiophiles more than we do

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Darko recently reviewed the RME ADI-2 FS which is $1000 and one of the best on the market. In order to make sure that the more money = better than universal constant is maintained he compares it to the $1600 Chord Quetest which not only measures worse but has basically no features [the RME has 5 band parametric EQ on each output, a preamp and both balanced and unbalanced headphone outputs] by using an oblique multiple minute metaphor about camera lenses and how one lens has worse optical performance but more "character."

You'd think these guys could occasionally say something that costs more sounds worse just to give themselves the barest smidge of credibility.

It never ceases to amuse me that Darko’s is like the only hifi channel on Youtube that has its comments disabled

Literally every other audiotuber spends copious time wading in the comments, even the more woo-woo ones

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

binaryhermit posted:

Not sure if anyone posted this, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEfCySfhTKU

I'm pretty sure that's proof of Poe's Law, in that I'm not sure if he's parodying batshit insane audiophiles or actually serious.

I watched two of this dude's videos. I have no idea if he's for real or not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

His videos link to a random "Genius Directory" https://psiq.org/world_genius_directory_geniuses/geniuses.htm

If you search for "audiophile" you see him at 168. He has a recent video about his IQ increasing by 3 points due to a change in norms.

I think he is serious

poor guy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

redeyes posted:

Wrong thread. This is an overpriced 5" speaker for loving 1500 Dollars. It's not an actual scientific device at all.

they said “advance” not “device”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is it better to go with the biggest front L/R you can or match them as best as possible to your center channel?

For example: take the JBL Stage series. There’s a center channel with two 5.25” drivers, and there are matching bookshelf/floorstanders with single 5.25” drivers (bookshelf), twin 5.25”, twin 6.5”, and twin 8” drivers respectively.

Is it best to go with the smaller speakers in that case to better match, or are the big 8” woofers and their better bass extension and music performance worth the differences?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Looks fine on Android Awful App

same in iOS

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
one half of me really wants to build an Elekit 8200 (the newest one, the "R" model) because it looks like the perfect way to get a tube amp and the other half knows it has to be overrated junk, because the only two publications that have given it a stellar review (or even really mention the 8200--an older version--at all) are 6moons and loving Ken Rockwell's blog

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

e: Sound and Vision did a review of the wee lil KEF sub and basically it's great for small rooms but if you push it the bottom octave stays at the same level while the mid-bass gets louder. It would be cool if they did a slightly larger version with dual 10s or something.

I hope so.

KEF is like the one company with products in the <$1000 range that really seems to get that you can’t compromise on center channel mass/driver size.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
A $200 balanced DAC ought to be enough for anybody

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

der ruhige posted:

I was looking at this sound card: https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-ae-5-plus

What do you think?

lmao

ok, are you planning to connect it to a 5 channel (curiously there’s no sub out either) amp/receiver/processor of some kind?

If not, just get a USB stereo DAC+headphone amp for the same money.

Do you have plans for speakers? If so, what are they? That’s going to guide the advice we can give you. But you’d know if you were the target market for that card

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I mean that’s a pretty ridiculous card, all things considered

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

der ruhige posted:

Probably won't be using speakers at all, so, sounds like the sound card won't be necessary. Let's shift gears here.

As far as DACs go, what do we think of this one? https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer-Balanced/dp/B07KR3RF4H

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread

but you're on the right track now. Look at JDS labs, Fiio, Schiit, Drop/massdrop, SMSL

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 4, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

Neil Young, and it was the Pono player which has become semi-legendary among us weirdos who love old mp3 players. It came in a wooden box because audiophiles loving love themselves a wooden box. Also get a load of that ego stoking model number.

I remember when you could grab one of those cheap, but :effort:

one day I’ll become the guy collector-me wants me to be

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this question is missing a necessary amount of context and rules, tbh

how do you get music onto the medium of your choice? Are you allowed to burn CDs/record minidiscs? Or are you limited to music that already exists on the format—commercial minidisc releases and/or mixtapes made by other people?

I don’t think the challenge is exactly fair if you can take the contents of, like, your iTunes library and burn them, etc.

It’s like me choosing “cassette” but then stipulating that I’m allowed to tape albums from Spotify whenever I want.

If you say Minidisc (which owns, btw) then you should be limited to commercial minidisc releases and minidiscs that have been already burned by other people.

And you can’t ask somebody to burn a minidisc or put together a playlist for you. Thems should be the rules.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what really killed MD, aside from the aforementioned, is that it was eaten on both ends by existing/less cumbersome formats pretty much immediately.

On the one side you had MP3-CD (CD-MP3?). Once you could put 100+ tracks on a CD with your PC burner drive and have a portable CD player read the files, MD’s data storage benefit was obviated by existing, cheaper tech. And with MP3 players taking off so quickly, CD-MP3 became the budget choice. I remember by like 2003-2004 you could get an MP3 capable CD player for under $50.

On the other, HDDs and flash memory matured quickly enough to more or less relegate legacy optical media by the end of the decade and to smother anything relatively new like MD in the crib before it could ever come close to maturity. If you had the money for MD, at least in the US, you had money for an iPod or Zune(lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Theris posted:

I interpreted the question as implying that all music would be somehow be available in that format. With your restrictions, CD is probably the only reasonable answer and that's no fun at all.

https://youtu.be/BhX7xXupLak