Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
I was huge into audio and stereo when I was in my late teens/early twenties. I bought into all the crap and thought that everything in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound was gospel.

That is, until a group of readers spammed the reader mail section for months about an ad that featured a woman listening to the advertisers gear with various jazz records strewn around the floor. This was obviously staged by the photographer who shot the ad because it looked cool, but readers had such a assburgers moment about it that I swore off that hobby for a very long time.

Now I look at the snake oil that these people sell and I can't believe that I ever thought that any of this would have any impact on the sound coming from my speakers. When I think of all the money I spent on lovely cables and gold plated connectors when I could have been spending that money on actual music I :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
I think that a lot of these people do go and listen to live music, but there is a subset (myself included at the time) that were so worked up over the equipment that if you ask them about spending money on a night out at a jazz club or the symphony or a rock concert or whatever you would probably just get a blank stare.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Audiot posted:

Come to think of it, who wants in on the ground floor of a company making/ selling audiophile grade circuit breakers? Untapped market here!

Too late, Bro.

http://www.audiophiles-hifi.de/ Click on the Klangmodul III link

I guess if you're going to run dedicated AC lines to your "listening" or, even better, "audition" room, what's another $50 or so?