Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

saltbox posted:

Do your CDs lack clarity or focus? Don't worry. Just freeze em.

http://web.archive.org/web/20001017103703/www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize199912.htm

Cooling those CDs will make the zeros and ones on a CD more orderly. This reminds me of a vinyl elist telling me about the zeros being the missing sound quality on a CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

swordfishtrombone posted:

I like to enjoy my current events the same way I enjoy the fine wine in my enormous cellar. :smug:

Hey, did you guys hear what just happened to Kennedy? :(

A shame his death overshadowed that of Aldous Huxley.

Head fi is a great place to peddle $300 audio cables which are only 1m long. You should treat these audiophiles as customers. I'm sure I have at least $3000 of audio cable I could sell them.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Arrowsmith posted:

Ted Kennedy was larger than life, but can you hold the fat jokes until they find enough dirt to bury the guy budget to finish the Big Dig?

It's actually a reference to JFK to allow for the burn in time for Aldous Huxley's death.

Xenomorph posted:

This is all disgusting. Like UFO people, conspiracy nuts, etc.

You could spend under $300 on sound equipment and $30 on cables and 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell a difference between that and the idiot poo poo these people spend thousands on.

I'm sure the posters on head fi would find that to be an outrageous troll (despite being factual).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zombie Dictator posted:

The funny thing is about all this bullshit with CDs and whatnot is that if any of it was true, it would mean that data corruption on software-based CDs would be rampant. If you need to freeze/color/shave a CD in order to get the "true" sound, then how come if that same CD had data on it that data would be usable without special treatment?

I wish I could buy a CD off of the shelf and put it in my player, instead of having to do all these things before it will give me the true sound.

I believe most audiophiles have no technical understanding. They're ripe for exploitation.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

I think we'd need you to define "sounds worlds better" before we can argue this. A $300 setup is not going to be a static-ridden low volume adventure ride through a sawmill, and a $30k setup is not going to make me think angels have sprayed hot loads of musical ejaculate into my brain.

If you think that's good you should try these $3000 cables with trible vibronic vibration dampening gelatine, and EMP boosting wire cage. The improvement is 100% better quality than a compact disc.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

I'm of the opinion that $5k per component is a ridiculous sum to spend, and the law of diminishing returns kills you way before this price point.

Time to clarify this; it's $5k per cable.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

You should try and convince as many audiophiles as you can to do this. Either they'll get electrocuted or possibly damage their hearing beyond reapair! Win/win.

There are two episodes of Metalocalypse that will help with convincing them. One where they record underwater and another where they record their entire album into a jar of water (for a more analogue sound).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Let's not get into balanced signals, please.

I actually have a solution. So long as your receiver is perfectly balanced (you can buy one of my triblesonic vibration balancing levels) then the audio is balanced. If you still have issues you shouldn't worry as I'll throw in a free bag of rocks to tie to each speaker cable.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

Marigo Audio has further improved the Signature 3-D v2 CD mat by making the gold layer rough-textured instead of slick!

That's it? Where's the explanation of why rough textured gold makes this coaster improve the audio from a CD?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

Made of silver coated gold mesh?

Once you have sold this to them then a year later make a version with a textured gold mesh that does the job better.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sunesis posted:

Sorry, /rant off. There we go.

Do a google search on Balanced Power.

You should rant at the audiophiles on their own forums. Post links to angry responses.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mr. nazi posted:

So putting one of these $1000 dollar things randomly around your equipment, even if it did exactly what it claims, wouldn't do anything in reality unless you completely surrounded your equipment in all directions.

You're missing the point. This device is so effective you don't even have to plug it in.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

http://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id=64

So it's like particle physics kung fu?

It's like having people practice Aikido in the black box. No actually page two of the explanation gets better. Building a blue glass box around his stereo improved the sound. SCIENCE at work. I then read further and found the real science behind this impressive technology.

http://www.lessloss.com/images/blackbody/feng_shui.jpg

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I would have liked a picture of picking flowers with a pickaxe (if it wasn't for the challenge rules).

I found this interesting article on audio Feng Shui. Why spend thousands on audio equipment when you can tape 5 cent pieces to your cables?
http://www.1388.com/articles/martinhome-eng/index.html

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I recommend posting a link to your suggested degrading video immediately.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Stares At Floor posted:

Ok, I'll do the video now. I don't have anyone handy to throw picks at me, so I'll throw them at myself and then comment on each one. brb

edit - Video uploading now to tiny pic.

edit - ok Here 'tis. I hope this has addressed your aforementioned wrath in a satisfactory manner.

This is the second most degrading thing that I've seen someone do to avoid a ban.

Your room needs audio Feng Shui.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

proudfoot posted:

Talking about Coaxial/Optical cables for transporting digital audio.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72096

That link is like looking into an alternate reality.

quote:

3. Longer is better....a 20 ft length always sounds better than a 4 foot length.

The internet is better quality where I am because the signal travels further.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

proudfoot posted:

Noise Harvester!

Takes the noise out of your power, and blinks.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/noise-harvester?cat=cables-accessories

I always wanted to pay $100 for a night light.

e: Any reference to (verb) soundstage is starting to piss me off. However, I'm not sure what this guy was actually up to :goatse:

quote:

After Big L running around the house putting Harvester in and out in and out.....we couldn't believe it. The harvesters made a significant positive improvement in opening up the soundstage and smoothening up the mids and highs, and this was on two seperate speaker systems in two different rooms using a Rega Apollo CD player and a newly refurbished Threshold amp.

Someone needs to write the audiophile gibberish dictionary. I also read the above as smoothing up my thighs.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 3, 2009

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
They want to remove noise that they didn't know they had from their stereo system. For the $399 they are paying for a 5-pack of flashing lights they could have bought a UPS for their stereo that gives them noise free AC power.

I'm just about at tipping point of making my own religion. I'd call it Audiology. It would enable me to extort members lest I let the magic smoke out of their stereo and plasma tv.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

UPS units do not act as "filters" if they were charging/draining the battery constantly they'd only last a couple weeks, they're normal surge protectors unless there's a failure.

Look at Double Conversion on Demand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Double-conversion_.2F_online

quote:

In double conversion mode the UPS can adjust for voltage variations without having to use battery power, can filter out line noise and control frequency.

This feature is only present in high quality UPS.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I think we could work out a package deal. A tesla coil to trap noise and a loaf of bread to place on top of the centre speaker to give it more punch. How does $25,000 for a loaf of bread with a free Tesla coil of unspecified size sound?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

The company has an unmatched reputation for producing superior cables based on the use of objective perceptual testing, innovative patented designs, premium materials, and exceptional manufacturing quality.

Based on the use of objective subjective testing.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

Doubt they're too angry. I'm pretty sure they can still convince audiophiles that HDMI doesn't accurately transport sound and that they need to use toslink instead. Then again, can you goldplate a toslink connector? Goldplating seems to be very important to these people.

I've seen gold plated toslink connectors. What's worse is a quick google search reveals that they're disturbingly common.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What a great name for a web site; how could this possibly go wrong.
http://www.soundstage.com/editorial.shtml

quote:

The first product is, to some, one of the most outlandish I’ve ever reviewed: the Zandèn Audio Systems 2500S CD player. It plays only CDs, uses 20-year-old DAC chips, doesn’t oversample or upsample, and costs $22,000. Given the continuing decline of CD sales and its archaic technology, the 2500S might seem an overpriced dinosaur. But live with it a while, as I did, and you’ll realize that it’s a CD player like no other.

If that isn't to your liking then shazam get some rainbow acid foil.

http://www.soundstage.com/feedback/resp26.htm

quote:

Then I
carefully applied two skinny strips of Rainbow Foil per the instruction's
diagram. I hit the play button on my transport's remote.

Son of a bitch -- I mean, SON OF A BITCH. I was stunned. The soundstage had just gotten deeper and very three-dimensional. The resolution was incredible, allowing me to hear things I'd not heard before, similar to the other tweaks, except magnified. I tried another disc. Same result. I tried an HDCD. Same result. I listened to an unfoiled disc and it sounded muffled and unexciting. I added the foil and shazam, the liveliness of the music returned and my speakers disappeared.

If I tried rainbow foil, heard things I'd never heard before, and watched my speakers disappear only to be replaced with a live band I would also be impressed.

Holy poo poo I was joking about Tesla coils improving audio performance. Meet the Synergistic Research Tesla Tricon USB Cable a bargain at $550 for a 1 m cable.

http://www.soundstage.com/digitaldomain/200907.html

quote:

Exactly how Synergistic subjects its Tesla cables to quantum tunneling is shrouded in mystery, but a video on the company’s website shows the essence of the procedure. Basically, every cable in the Tesla line is hooked up to a large Tesla coil and zapped with 2 million volts.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 11, 2009

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I don't have an issue with people preferring lovely sound output. My mother doesn't like good quality stereos or high quality sound. I think she finds it to be information overload.

The bit that I enjoy is someone must be paying $22,000 to get a lovely CD player so that they can enjoy sounds the same way as my mother (or grandmother as the case may be).

I, too, enjoy paying a small fortune to have a retirement village quality party.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Princess posted:

In these reviews and comments, it seems the less they understand how something works, the more they are convinced that the technology is beyond their ability to understand it.

It's very common that people don't want to pay money for professional advice. However, they assign value to free advice, or worse free advice from salesmen. The world is full of gullible people.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Acinonyx posted:

My favorite part of this thread remains the audiophiles trashing the professional musician with perfect pitch because he just didn't have a good enough ear to hear what they were hearing. Playing music is a whole different skill set from listening to music apparently.

I recommend just chilling about it. They are demanding that you scam them. The best technique for scamming is when people who are not involved with the scam recommend it to others, and defend it when attacked.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Can the sound of a woman be improved by adding a packet of rocks though?

Cast the first stone and find out.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

kuffs posted:

What language is he speaking? It sounds like English, but I can't derive any meaning from it. It's just nonsense.

He's speaking in audio feng shui. I'm concerned that the racks would remove the black from my black metal. :black101:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

If I could only find some way to combine audiophile bullshit with a cult I'd be the richest ashsole on earth.

Audiotology would make a great spin off of Scientology.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

HKR posted:

Audiophiles do not listen to black metal.

Lucky I'm not an audiophile then.

e: I'm pretty sure audiophiles don't listen to music at all. They seem to hallucinate music, and their perception of the world appears to be firmly based in fantasy.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 20, 2010

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Audiophiles use music as a necessary evil to hear their precious, precious gear.

We should sell them special tone testing audio dvds with a free canister of audio-grade air.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

That's really disgusting. How could any government spend nearly a hundred million dollars on something that so clearly reeks of bullshit? That son of a bitch needs to spend a lot of time in an unpleasant prison, if I were him I would have nightmares every night of all the people who are killed and maimed because of the bullshit he's selling.

People are gullible. Why do people still fall for nigerian scams and audiophile grade strap-ons? Gullible.

I'm sure part of the problem in parts of the world are consumer protection laws which make people believe any bullshit they're told.

The British government will go to great lengths to shaft this guy for what he has done.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Locally the Ministry of Social Development employs meth addicts and fraudsters to keep unemployment figures low. Probably spent more than $89m on that sort of stupidity.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Try some etheric oils or something instead of the salt. Salt is very much not something that vaporizes along with water, and I think even some audiophiles might catch on to that.

You could dissolve a gas in water. A secret audiophonic gas that expands the soundstage (sell them bottled farts).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

I can't find the manual of Scientology auditing procedures, but the way this is worded bears a striking resemblance to Hubbard's instructions.

There are usually a few other procedures including wandering around aimlessly but it is similar to OT3 training (last time I checked you can get the manual from wikileaks).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hogscraper posted:

Source makes a huge difference. I work all day long in 24-bit 88.2 kHz/96 kHz pcm. When I flip that switch to dither down to 16-bit 44.1 kHz/48 kHz it breaks my heart just a little bit each time.

This bit here where you switch to CD quality is the bit that always annoys me. Why is it that I can purchase music online that is better quality that what I can buy in a shop. A shame the replacement formats seemed to die out.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I could write a lot of :mordin: about the topic of low quality audio. I think my awareness has been further aggravated by having a 5.1 system. Why should I put up with movies having higher quality audio than albums?

Maybe I should put a large chunk of jade on top of my amp and perform a ritualistic dance to improve the audio quality.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm seriously considering trying to push the myth that spreading a thin layer of cottage cheese on top of your CDs will improve audio quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

The gently caress is the metal sphere and look at the legs propping the PS1 up. :frogbon: