Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

It's probably an unnecessarily fancy audiophile-y thing to hold down the switch telling the PS1 that the lid is closed.

Probably the $500 version that depends on black body radiation to work. I was hoping it was for a stylus to go with analogue vinyl CDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
We all know those laser beams that are no wider than their wavelength are wider than grooves on a record.

I do have a stylus recommendation though from when one of my friends had a gramophone. When he was low on the styluses he'd just cut the end off of a nail and use that instead. The only thing I noticed is that the nails were better quality (I'm not joking).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's because it's cheaper and easier to spend $1000 on magic pebbles to maximise the chi of the soundstage.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

Another way of looking at it, is they're the diametric opposite to hipsters, who will be 100% about what they're listening to, and will actively seek out ways to do it wrong (the latest artist no one has heard of, played on a single-speaker mono soundsystem).

Oh god I'm some sort of hipster. This is a terrifying discovery.

I often play music through my DVD player using pro logic II to get 5.1. On the opposite side of lounge I have two ipads and a computer connected to a 1980s video mixer which outputs to a 200W guitar amp. That even excludes the times I spent at large outdoor dance parties where we'd be listening to a gramophone where we were camping.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

That was a well written summary. I think that exact person could be identified in a lot of different hobbies.

It makes me think of stamp collectors in both the literal and figurative meanings. Collect (or hoard) things and never use them.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Fanelien posted:

I changed the locks on an audiophile's house recently, he spent half the time complaining about the girl that left him and the other half explaining how much his audio set up cost and how awesome it was.

He had "do not touch" signs on everything, including his cable risers. Crazy bastard, wish I'd taken pictures.

I like how he was unable to see the connection between his behaviour and why she left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I believe you mean quadraphonic acoustic test vinyl. Audiophiles don't listen to music.