Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I'm thinking about building an elaborate psychobabble defense for one of those nutty "CD improvement" tweaks that seem to be everywhere now, usually involving sandpaper and markers.

http://www.tweakaudio.com/Cd%20tweaks.html

http://www.tweaks4u.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=1112&language=EN

quote:

1. Lightly sand the outer and inner edge of the CD with sand paper (240 grit works fine) to remove the shine. This roughing of the edges stops a great deal of the laser reflections. This results in a more musical, natural and detailed playback.

2. Green or blacken the edges you just sanded and also green or blacken the top and bottom of the CD around the center hole where it is clear. Make sure you color into any centering grooves or hills. Because the laser is red everyone has assumed that you have to use a green marker to absorb the light. Black absorbs all colors and works very effectively. You want to use a marker that is opaque, doesn’t come off on your fingers and also does not peel off. Surprisingly cheap and effective is your basic black Sanford Sharpie marker. With this marker you need to go over each area several times to make it opaque. Doing this will give you even better sound.

Note: This previous quote was dead serious.

Or maybe I should work on something to do with the "creamy midrange," "airy highs" "multidimensional soundstaging" or "tonal clarity" that only extremely expensive :10bux: New-Old-Stock :10bux: Vacuum Tubes made in Europe or England can supposedly provide.

(I use a $50 quad of Russian made Electro-Harmonix EL34 in my Leak Stereo 50 power amp. I honestly cant tell the difference between the sound of the new Russian tubes and the $300 vintage Amperex tubes that came in the amp when I bought it. :v:)

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU