Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Twiin posted:

Timing jitter is theoretically audible when listening to a CD if it's above 400ns. If you have 400ns of jitter, your gear is broken. It is impossible to tell the difference between a perfect magical cable with 0ps jitter and an off-the-shelf sweatshop-labour radio shack cable with 2ns jitter.

How the hell do cables cause timing jitter? Jitter is caused by the digital circuits and discrepancies in timing crystals or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Audiot posted:

Just... wow.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

hey man all the harshness from a new silver cable goes away after 459.3 hours

But any real man uses pure platinum cables which measure 0.000000106 ohms/m compared to 0.000000159 ohms/m for silver.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I'm not to sure how a 48kbps AAC encoded track sounds vs an MP3 encoded at the same rate, but I can definitely tell the difference between a 128kbps and 64kbps MP3. Especially if the song has cymbals. It starts to sound like I'm diving down Neo's throat.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Has anyone seen or heard of the rotary subwoofer? (and another link). It's one way of reproducing those frequencies below the usual 15-18Hz that most conventional subwoofers start sucking at. I can't see how this WOULDN'T affect emotional response to say, a t-rex stomping around in Jurassic Park.