Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Omegaslast posted:

Ive ranted about this before. I hate how popular this story was. Its some random rear end guy on audioholics telling a story about a test he conducted. What a great source... if he had reported that the monster cables sounded great everyone would have discredited it, but because hes saying they couldnt tell the difference between monster cable and a coat hanger its quoted everywhere. Those monster cables are also the cheapest of their "speaker cables" in terms of terminated with banana plugs + techflex. If someone bought the monster cable 1000 speaker cables i wouldnt hate on them, they just wanted something that looked okay and had banana plugs and didnt want to do it themselves. Im not saying that higher end monster cables are in any way worth it, but of all the monster cables to be demonized they choose arguably the best bargains out there?

A much much better story is when mike lavigne ( http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020&read&3&4& ) had his transport opus $70,000 speaker cables replaced with $200 monster cables and couldnt tell the difference. This test was held by a friend of his on AVS forum. Mike lavigne confirmed the story. Maybe ill find a link to it later
That's a helluva premium to pay for the sake of appearance.
So if they're paying that much more for cable that looks good/can't be arsed to make it themselves/actually think it's noticeably better, they should expect to be ridiculed.
I'm not going to claim to be an audiophile of any sort, and I'm pretty positive you know more about this stuff than I do, but I always thought the general consensus among the sane was that the Monster cable you buy in stores such as Best Buy, Monster charged far more than they should for cabling that isn't really noticeably better than the el cheap-o stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU