Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheMadMilkman posted:

A true cost-no-object home theater would use the exact same digital projection system you would see in the theater, with modifications made to make it suitable for home use. And the 2k standard used in the many (most?) theaters is only 2048 x 1080, which is only a negligible difference. This is set to change within the next year or two, as digital projection moves to 4k (some films are already being released and played at this resolution, but it's not particularly common).

True, but an actual 35mm film print at traditional film theaters (which still comprise the majority) are going to be closer to 4k in resolution, assuming the print is of decent quality.

Really though, the big thing is these people will be confined to blu-ray as the source of their media and the track record for releases has been a bit spotty. You can play the numbers game all day long, but "poo poo in poo poo out" still applies. I find it amusing that people will spend $500k on a home projector to play back media that some studio guy slathered in DNR and edge enhancement so that it looks like Monday Night Football for the person with a $400 wal-mart special LCD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU