Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009

Acinonyx posted:

About the guy with the million dollar theater/sound install; Do you think he realizes that for less, he could have built an actual theater with 100+ seats with state of the art projection and sound? I was also trying to figure out why he would just keep buying more amps. What would he think he was gaining?

Why would he want a 100-seat theater? Part of the allure is probably the expense. He has money and wants to turn that money into nice things. He gains the ability to show it off as well. Just like other rich guys collect fine art I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009

Acinonyx posted:

Hell, you could build a pimped out IMAX theater for less than he spent.

a home IMAX theater would probably be a more impressive sight.

however in the spirit of ridiculing audiophiles it should be an IMAX-in-a-box with 100% real 3D sound.

davepsilon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 16, 2009

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009
check out the tokyo audiophile show on video: http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_asia/2009-10-12/590485457372.html

quote:

The level of attention in audiophile equipment is extraordinarily specialized.

1:34 posted:

Like this 120 pound record player from Acoustic Solid. With that much weight, the record playback is stabilized. It even has a separate motor unit that uses thread to spin the record, reducing vibrations typical of consumer grade record players. $19,000 will buy you the ultimate analog music experience.

2:28 posted:

Why are all these cables resting on wooden blocks? Those blocks are cable insulators that help control microscopic vibrations. The material of the blocks also absorbs electromagnetic waves which help things like audio clarity, soundstage, and imaging.

quote:

the elegant Sonus Faber Elipsa speakers. These speakers push 300 watts, and sound incredibly full and detail rich. Check out the spikes on these speakers! These sharp points neutralize any vibrations going to the ground, and vice-versa. What results is superfine detail and perhaps, scratches to your floor.

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

And the speaker in question, as part of a $300,000 system (the turntable accounts for half of that):

a $150,000 turntable is a luxury item, not a piece of professional audio equipment.

If I wanted really accurate sound reproduction I'd use a digital medium with error correction, probably something like a Reed-Solomon code, instead of indentations in plastic. Oh wait, somebody already came up with this, its called a compact disc.

I don't really care what people spend their money on, but it is crazy to claim that a custom $150,000 turntable is better than a technic 1200 ($300) for the sole reason that it reproduces the audio more accurately, as it is not the best way to do that.

davepsilon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 26, 2009

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

A can't be better than B, because C is superior. That's faulty logic if I've ever heard it. While we're at it, CDs are poo poo because they're only 16-bit/44.1kHz. Anything short of 24/96 is obviously inferior, so why purchase a CD?

It is a cost / benefit analysis - it isn't a logical argument. It is more like A is better than B because of x, yet if you really want x you should use ZZ. Not to mention ZZ is cheaper than B.

I am saying one could justify any audio setup if they like the sound the piece of equipment outputs, and their enjoyment of the sound is worth the price of the equipment. Yet, super expensive turntables are typically marketed as less noisy and a more accurate reproduction of the sound. It seems you are making a distinction between the noise induced by vibrations and needles and I am saying that is no different than the noise induced by the information being transmitted based on the height of plastic. Since it is exactly this inherent noise that makes vinyl more appealing to many (over digital audio signals) noise is not a bad thing in a turntable system. There is no justification to say this is less noisy, only that this sounds better to me.

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

"I don't think optical would give you any benefit. Coaxial might, but sound cards aren't really fantastic when it comes to digital"

Let's break this down: -computers- suck at -digital-.

even better a few lines down

dumbass posted:

...through the optical input, the Compass has very balanced treble and boosted bass. Through the coax input, the Compass' mids take a step forward and the sound becomes thicker and smoother. I listened to the same music from my computer ripped via EAC and played through WASAPI output into the Compass to double check the optical input - yeah, the Compass doesn't sound the same between its digital inputs.

Thicker and smoother - oh yeah!

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009

Spoondrift posted:

I'm satisfied with this explanation...except that one time I put different things into my DAC and different sounds came out. I shoved a cocount into the input because it's round like a zero, I should hear low frequency like bass, but instead I heard this rather purple bit of high frequency audio. Then I used the banana and got a different, though still purple sound. SEE DACS DON"T UNDERSTAND BITS1101 RAWR11001011

fixed, although I would like to point out that DACs are in fact designed to decode bitstreams, which have defined tolerances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009
audiophile grade bomb detector - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8471187.stm

BBC posted:

The Iraqi government has spent $85m on the ADE-651 and there are concerns that they have failed to stop bomb attacks that have killed hundreds of people ... Mr McCormick (company founder) told the BBC in a previous interview that "the theory behind dowsing and the theory behind how we actually detect explosives is very similar.

yes that is dowsing as in "there is water under this here two pronged stick"-owsing.

edit:

BBC posted:

There are no batteries and it consists of a swivelling aerial mounted to a hinge on a hand-grip

I read that line and instantly thought there has to be a way to market this to audiophiles.

davepsilon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 24, 2010