Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Wonder if we're going to see anything insane out of CES this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Well so far we have ear dehumidifiers and mark Levinson 1000$ headphones tubes to a consumer target so there's that I guess

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

What the gently caress even was that for

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

You can also add things to break up echoes like rockwool-stuffed frames that look like art. Really, anything you do to make your room hostile to standing waves/comb filtering the better

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That man has not recovered

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Interesting concept, but needs a fair bit of work to not sound awful. +/- 10db isn't exactly consumer audio friendly

But the next revision will be interesting to watch!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Mister Speaker posted:

Wasn't there a big row on some audiophile forum when someone tried to get users to participate in a double-blind listening test of speaker wire vs. coat hangers? Or is that just a long-running joke?

It's not a joke! It's something that's often used to demonstrate that materials don't matter as much as people think. There was a $1million prize if you could prove you could tell the difference between audiophile cables and normal ones by James Randi but no winners before he died

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Please write in about it, if they don't seem to think anything's wrong they may not be hearing the final product

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

we're contractually obligated to be jerks to people who ask questions in this thread so we don't become the replacement for audio questions thread

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

qirex posted:

There’s a flip side to ASR style measurements that a lot of people don’t want to admit which is that gear that measures badly can still sound good. That Naim stuff is seriously overpriced for sure [it’s almost as expensive as a NAD M33] but not everybody wants a huge stack of mismatched Topping and miniDSP gear as their system.

There's also the angle of "most people wouldn't know what a bad measurement looks like" too. I looked around some audiophile groups a ways back and it's truly insane the level of navel gazing they do over things that could be sample noise on a too-zoomed-in plot

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, it’s not like ASR is entirely against the idea of subjective preference or whatever—just look at any post on a tube product and you’ll see lots of caveats and ”if you like the way that this product distorts, then more power to you”s

whether that reflects Amir’s true feelings or whether it’s just ASR being diplomatic and shrewd about pissing off too many/the wrong people is anyone’s guess

Oh absolutely!

Amir's a nice enough fellow (and knows how to do the things), but sometimes the measurebating can be a bit much, and a community but around that has some risk of getting a little too out there

Still, better than head-fi!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Paradoxically you need a Robertson head to do that

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Googling for a funny answer led me to this: SoundScrews

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Well I for one am thankful you brought the content to us, so we'll spare you a few millidisparagements

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

RIP Paul Walker posted:

We need a serious-but-not-so-serious audio thread! I wanna post about my low distortion flat-FR-in-room Dirac’d Quad ESLs and five bass managed subwoofers as well as what trying vintage/different gear is like.

Back on topic: if you get a set of expensive cables for “free” with a used speaker purchase, are you an idiot for not selling them? I ended up with a pair of $650 MSRP AudioQuest speaker cables going to a Magnepan DWM woofer and feel like I should try and extract money from them instead. They are one of the few cables that I’ve noticed sound different (worse), so I’d feel kinda bad selling them but also not really. The back of the woofer isn’t super visible otherwise I’d definitely keep them just to look like I have money to burn.

Nah, post there and if they kvetch just say "yo vintage poo poo is my hobby, I don't give a gently caress"

Alternatively, lean into it and see if you can't raise their blood pressure

RE: the cables, if you can sell them to a bullshit artist or store sure-otherwise you're just in on the grift

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Audiowned

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Whoa I wanna make people barf with sound, I thought you could only do that with Nickelback

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah but that isn't real, I wanna make other people barf on command not just myself

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Eh, seems like it's only possible in people with a somewhat rare bone variation near the cochlea

I've exhausted all available brainpower for this joke

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

honestly the $10k USD audio cables are less ethical than that imho so yeah, p funny

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I should do that

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

*sighs as I unsheath my gold plated Bluetooth emitter that maxes out at 128kbps SBC*

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

...you're a silly person for doing that.

I hope this deserved mocking has not put you off our dank corner of IYG and that you stick around to post more content-generating posts like the one here. We know you can go anywhere for derision of audiophile stuff, and we're delighted you went with the Ridicule Audiophiles thread today.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It may be less shameful, but wasting money is always worthy of ridicule!

he said, having spent tens of dollars to post

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Most DACs period are, unless you have an ancient rear end computer or for some reason your source can't support CD+ quality files

Don't waste your money kids

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I've been looking for one of the LPCM recorders for it and blank HiMDs but loving a is that expensive

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

musta had different players then- my last one survived 20 years of snowboarding until a battery popped when I wasn't using it and killed the board

MD treated me well, but then again I was the kid with a million cassette mixes too when I was young. I'd probably not have the patience to deal with recording today without optical/data input

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

DoesNotCompute posted:

There's a tascam minidisc player/recorder at the local pawn shop and I'm just like....why not?

If it works it's a steal

poo poo I should go looking

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

they did their homework. Luckily, if it's not listed online you can probably go back in like 6mo and haggle down pretty far

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Palladium posted:

is this a real thing

Audiophiles doing a stupid based on internet forum trends sounds believable to me

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

BonHair posted:

How much is burning in your speakers just audiophile mumbo jumbo? Is it actually a real thing, or just 100% bullshit?

short answer: Yes, it's bullshit

long answer: Yyyyyeeeessssssss, iiiiiiitttttt'sssss bbbuuuuulllllshhhiiiiiiiiiitttt

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

"Many audiophile products are a scam. This is the place to mock them and their devotees. Discuss."

A bit minimal, sure, but I think that's all that really needs to be said unless you want a list of links highlighting really egregious examples.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

/\ cheeky fucker haha

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's one of those threads where you learn more by reading it than a normal person will trudging through a monster op. Doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't have more info and funny examples (and maybe brands that are egregiously snake oil). The main concern, though, is to make it clear it's the wrong place to ask for advice.

My thoughts exactly

Honestly I very rarely read OPs after skimming it once. It really doesn't need to be much beyond "this is what thread is about," mmmaaayyybbee some history if it's a show or something, and some resources if you're trying to get people to do a thing. Since this is a mock thread... not really sure it needs much beyond a simple statement and warning about earnest-posting about high end gear

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Gold plated interconnects
Brilliant pebbles
MQA
high end DACs
Upgraded power cables
Black bodies
The ENTIRE ITU-R BS.2399-0 consensus lexicon (and people attaching whatever loving adjectives they think are positive/negative to poo poo)
Rolling opamps/tubes
Distortion dickmeasuring

I'm sure there's a lot of other examples but I'm tired

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Oh yeah, artifacts you can't hear, like jitter/HF aliasing too

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Eh, 200+ pages is a bit much to tell people to "read the thread" if they Kramer in with one of this thread's greatest hits

Could be good to focus things a bit

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Probably not

taqueso posted:

Does this ever happen?

I mean people do come in here asking for advice who are then mocked, but that's really the only example I can think of

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 29, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Definitely overkill for most applications, but definitely the best

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I thought sound was just air wiggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I legit can't believe that the expert shared lexicon (ITU-R BS.2399-0) is something people put up with at all. It's such a perfect indicator something's bullshit in marketing or discussion