Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

namlosh posted:

Wait, I googled this and found a pdf, not sure if the link will work or not:

https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/rep/R-REP-BS.2399-2017-PDF-E.pdf

Is this a joke?? Seems like a joke, like the scientific paper describing the process of getting antihistamines from meth

it's where those seemingly inappropriate adjectives describing sound come from! In areas where there aren't good words to describe something (like in sensory subjects that describe an experience and not hard science) a consensus lexicon is sometimes established to moor conversations in something that could approach a shared understanding. But in audio, it's... rough.

though at this point most audiophiles are just fumbling for words that'd sound good in a wine review

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I guess like, the only people that should be using this are product engineers and designers because the average jerk isn't gonna understand what these mean so maybe just don't

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

arent some of the software-based 3D audio calibration things like on new bluetooth headphones really good at that

many use ML to try to calculate how your ear shape will affect it and adjust accordingly, but it's still mainly just "not dogshit most of the time"

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

We all knew this was the logical conclusion and yet I'm surprised to see it

Well done, I've lost the last shred of faith in humanity I had left

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Pretty much, though the QC is hit or miss

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

njsykora posted:

Yeah I got told when I got my Sundaras last year that the pads would disintegrate within 6 months but 14 months later they're not even showing signs of wear. QC is always a lottery.

Oh, I was more referring to the random channel death, but the 2020 pads are much improved from the old ones

e. if it hasn't happened within a year you're probably fine fwiw

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 7, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I tend to get ear infections easy so I tend toward speakers at home as well. It's a nice thing to have around but not everybody wants that

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

You fool!

You utter buffoon! How could you trust someone else on the Internet?!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Also if you travel a lot, I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

This thread thrilled, entertained, and provided years of wonderment. It's with a heavy heart we toss dirt on its pine box as we lower it into the archives.

I'd love for any and all of you to post your favourite hits in the new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042004