Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
A building supply/rat's nest of recycled construction business my work frequents got a gutted house from some weird audiophile. They sold me a ton of hardware for 10$ each but I missed the Nakamichi decks some guy grabbed the day before and gave me a bunch of "audiophile" cabling for free. The guy's interior was taken out and preserved thinking they could resell it.. its these monstrous room islands made of 3/4" MDF covered with fake grey birds eye maple veneer. The guy made crazy custom furniture enclosures for his giant powered Infinity speakers, his two matching rear projection TVs and tons of other gaudy poo poo.

Hilarious. Anyways I got an adcom line conditioner for a couple bucks so I am going to see how much radon warmth or whatever fancy business it helps with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Why does the dude whisper and be super creepy in his videos? He is hilarious.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Plenty, but how often will the theatre be showing an obscure late-70's German art film?

Buddy of mine worked at a theatre and when it would close he'd throw stuff on the digital projector, he has since started buying actual film reels with buddies, they all go in on really cool movies for the sake of showing us past close.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

This is loving awesome, and this:

quote:

Doing live sound he once knocked Tom Waits unconscious for pouring a fifth of scotch into the mixing console.
So when an equipment dealer tried to convince him to buy "sound particle traps" for a recording studio floor and tried to feed him a load of BS about the new physics of sound wave/particle duality, my dad worked to get the rear end in a top hat's business shut down. It was hilarious.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Gromit posted:

When I saw the earlier shot where you could see two of these things in the middle ground, I actually said out loud "what the gently caress are those? Time machines?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjPUoyMLdQ4

It is apparently made by this guy, "Electron Luv."

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Opensourcepirate posted:

This will be my last post on the subject so I don't run it into the ground. These are the things I have to say.

1. I've found their articles to be interesting. A lot of them talk about technical specifications for various standards and have very little to say about their particular cables. Obviously they talk about themselves in a good light, but it's not overblown.
2. They are US based and manufacture as much as they can in the US. I and other people are willing to spend more money on US made goods. If you're not, that's fine.
3. The item you quoted is a custom length item. You have to enter 10 feet, and then they make a cable to fill the order. Other products they have come in pre-made lengths, and generally seem to be priced more closely to what you would find from other sources.
4. I strongly disagree with your statement to not read articles by anyone. I think it's a much better skill to be able to read articles and figure out what is and is not bullshit, rather than just cutting yourself off from biased material completely.
5. As best as I can tell, this company does what they can to make a high quality cable without using any bells or whistles that don't actually improve quality. One of the things that lead me to them is that I was looking for HDMI cables that will actually do 50+ feet reliably. I absolutely go with Chinese mass produced poo poo for my 6-10 feet HDMI cables, but I've had HDMI cables not work for me at lengths as short as 15 feet. Finding a long HDMI cable that will work is a harder task than you may realize, and this company claims to have made a cable that will go 150 feet.

Edit: To give an idea of the markup: they charge about 10 cents a foot (20 cents per foot you enter, but you're getting two cables) for their Belden 1505F stereo cable when you put in a large length. That cable is available in bulk from tons of places, at about $100 for 100 feet or $700 for 1000 feet. So 10 cents a foot for 100 feet and 7 cents a foot for 1000.
This thread was made to make fun of people like you, and ridicule people who pay grandiose sums for things that don't make meaningful difference.

Terminated 6ft cable on monoprice: $0.88
Terminated 6ft cable on blue jean cable: $30.55

3,471% increase in price.

I don't know why you get your pants in a twist over american manufacturing because BJC does exactly what everyone else does, takes really cheap stuff made outside the US, perform negligible work on it aka "customize it," and sell it for extraordinary prices.

They take cable made in asia or mexico and terminate it. You would never, ever be able to tell which cable theirs was in a double blind listening test.

Opensourcepirate posted:

Oh yeah, that was dumb of me. So 1 buck a foot for Blue Jeans and 70 cents a foot for a 1000 foot spool.

Anyway guys, thanks for the validation. It's good to see that we can discuss actual differences in quality in the audiophiles thread.

There are no actual differences in quality. Spending all your money on something does not mean its quality.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

There IS a difference in quality between the cheapest cables you can find and the good cables from various name brands, but it's not a matter of signal quality once you get away from the absolute lowest-grade poo poo. It's a matter of physical quality, how good the connectors are, how well they grip, how long they last and how durable the cable is to being handled and possibly abused, like being driven over by office chairs.

Really cheap RCA cables have connectors that are loose and of extremely questionable quality. I gladly buy the slightly more expensive cables with metal connectors because they work better and last longer.

Double blind listening tests. I've never had an RCA cable fail on me, ever.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

I know it's fun to hate on audiophiles but there is a big difference between somebody who pays $30 for a cable because in his experience it's built more solidly and he doesn't have to worry about replacing it and because his money stays in his home country, and the guy who spends $1000 because it opens the soundstage. Is that cable overpriced? Probably. Is this guy is actually seeing higher durability, the benefit of which is worth the extra cost to him? Possibly.

Its not that its fun to hate on audiophiles its just that the expense isn't worth it and you're buying into a lie. Its not made in america and your cheap cable isn't failing you, your common sense is.

1) In your experience do you ever do strength tests ripping cables off their interconnects and have come up with the solution that only ultrasonically welding a wire to the interconnect will stop this from happening? Not very likely.

2) Your money isn't staying in your home country. Lets put it this way. If you buy Ford because Ford is "Made In America," this is probably not going to go over well for you, but the vehicle isn't made in America. The parts of it are cast, machined, fit, assembled etc elsewhere and small parts of the assembly are done here. Same with Blue Jeans Cable, they literally buy cable not made in the US, then cut it to length and terminate it. Of the 30$ you spend, yes, 29.50$ is staying in the United States, but that .50 cents is going to wherever the cable came from. Same with me, if I bought that .50cent RCA cable. 50 cents is going to wherever the cable came from and I am not spending the other 29.50 because it is a waste, and I spend my money elsewhere locally, like at my corner sandwich shop or the lumber yard. Of course, where my sandwich shop sources its salami is certainly not local, not many people make their own local salami anymore, nor does my local lumber yard have its own forest it cuts down and processes (although I use a lumber yard that bids on downed urban trees, so the wood IS local).

Its not more durable because cables don't tow cars. Its marketing and very successful at that, because people are bred in the US to grunt when we hear "bigger better stronger." An RCA cable is supposed to be conductive, not "tough." If you have an issue ripping the cable out of its interconnect all the time maybe you need gorillaproof 30$ cables, but I've never had a cheap RCA cable fail me, ever.

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh shut it, you massive sperglord.

I never claimed to be able to hear any sort difference, but there is a very clear difference in the basic physical quality of the connectors etc. and I've had ultra-cheap RCA connectors fail before due to loose connections. With the slightly more expensive metal connectors, I can resolder them myself if anything happens. Not so with the cheap molded plugs.
Wow, easy, this whole thread was specifically started to mock audiophiles and this sort of mode of thinking.

The whole idea of audiophile behavior is to invent reasons to spend more money. If it sounds the same, why spend over a thousand percent more on a product? Nobody ever passes double blind listening tests, or agrees to them, because in audiophile territory its all about made up terminology.

Does having an interconnect that can be reused make a difference to me? No. I've never had to resolder a cable because a cable has never failed on me. I've cut a cheap RCA cable in half and soldered on a different interconnect and been happy with it because it hides behind my receiver and is never seen.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Sorry, 35$ for a six foot cable that made false claims was a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Philthy posted:

This really doesn't pertain to BJC. They're straight up budget cables. You can have them add fancier ends, or different cable on some of their selections. But for the most part, their selection are $10 cables.

They are who I usually go with instead of spending $100 on cables, I get $10-50 ones from them. The pack ins, and the monoprice ones have mostly all failed me, and their credit card leak didn't help things, either.

They're not budget, stop quoting their website verbatim, you are literally as useless as reading their website. They are expensive compared to a huge range of cables that work perfectly and they do exactly what this thread is made to mock- create claims that can't be verified because they make up language and functions that don't exist.