Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm especially fond of how AV boards that are otherwise sane and rational will have a cables forum that is an 'ABX-free zone'. If you talk about double-blind testing, you're banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

qirex posted:

:ssh: head-fi is neither sane nor rational

It's a relative measure.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pibborando San posted:

You're forgetting about jitter, which audiophiles definitely blow out of proportion but it does matter I guess.

Timing jitter is theoretically audible when listening to a CD if it's above 400ns. If you have 400ns of jitter, your gear is broken. It is impossible to tell the difference between a perfect magical cable with 0ps jitter and an off-the-shelf sweatshop-labour radio shack cable with 2ns jitter.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

porksmash posted:

How the hell do cables cause timing jitter? Jitter is caused by the digital circuits and discrepancies in timing crystals or something.

It takes light 3ns to travel 1m.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

qirex posted:

What I think is funny is that you'd think with the passion that these guys have for music [especially jazz and classical] they'd be big supporters of the arts but it seems like they're not for the most part.

Audiophiles don't listen to music, they listen to equipment.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

proudfoot posted:

Audiophiles generally hate blind a/b tests. The general argument is that differences which are at first hard to notice become apparent only with use over a long period of time.

They can bring their own 30-year old super-broken-in cables to the ABX test, then.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

bacon! posted:

I did some googling, including wikipedia, but I couldn't get a good answer to this question : Is there a way to do this without a $600-7000 piece of equipment?

Edit: I would definitely be interested in a thread on that

You can do it with a radioshack SPL meter, test tones, and time.

There's apps that can help you, I think one of them is called "room eq wizard" or something like that.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

bacon! posted:

Do you mean that the EQ settings would only work if a PC was your source? Or, would you just apply the same EQ settings to whatever analog equalizer you have?

I just have a stereo integrated amp without an equalizer

The app will help you determine the EQ profile of your listening location, so that you can apply the EQ settings to whatever source your audio is coming from.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

TheMadMilkman posted:

What would be fun, and what I have unfortunately not had the opportunity to do, is to compare the sound of some of these top-end theaters to the mixing rooms where the soundtracks were created. That would yield a lot more insight into the value of the home theater than a comparison to your local cineplex.

Hans Zimmer's Studio.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Even the bigger players seem to be cashing in on the expensive cable game - http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

Sure, its nicely built but US$499 for 1.5m of Cat5? Nice one, Denon.

Denon posted:

Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal transfer.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

fishmech posted:

You can feel infrabass though, same reason why deaf people can still somewhat enjoy music with really loud bass - ya can't hear it but you feel it.

Yeah, this seems like a cool study. Your eardrums aren't the only part of the body that might react to vibrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

HKR posted:

He is probably a guy who thinks he can tell a difference between flac and wav.

The bits are the same, sure, but the difference in soundstage is unmistakable!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
that is amazing

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

IronChef Chris Wok posted:

2) What are balanced cables, and why do they cost a billion dollars?

Check monoprice.com for some great prices on balanced cables.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You're both missing the point of this thread... We should ridicule audiophiles, not take their side! :cop:

Edit:
In that vein, can someone please explain to me why this cable exists?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255152-REG/Monster_Cable_119029_3_RCA_to_3_RCA_Balanced.html
1. Why gold plate and overprice a loving composite video cable?
2. How exactly is it "balanced"? Looks like an ordinary RCA lead to me.

1: Because people will buy it.
2: It's not. You need three signals for a cable to be balanced, RCA only has 2.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

longview posted:

Acrylic?! Feh, that'll completely destroy your mid-range no matter how perfectly balanced your cables are.
I built my own using the finest Swedish pine-oak, the machining took a few days per riser since I did the last few inches using 320 grit sand-paper but the wider sound field made it completely worth it.

But are your blacks deeper?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The thing with these cables is, they're too loving expensive to dismantle. Of the very few audiophiles that'll buy a poo poo cable like this, rarely anyone is going to take it apart and see what's under that heat shrink tube and braiding. Probably some cheap rear end Best Buy cable.

Occasionally one gets torn apart by someone's cat and there's a shocking(!) autopsy. But mostly you're right.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Well you see, the audio signal is very delicate and will completely change with every property change to the system no matter how minute. Cable is just TV and phone lines are just for voice; it doesn't matter what you use for those.

Actually if you get oxygen-free cables for your TV then you'll get deeper blacks and truer reds.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah but that HDMI bullshit is espoused down at even the lowest echelon of Best Buy shitheads shilling Monster Cables.

I once accidentally bought a $150 HDMI cable. I thought it was $15 and I couldn't actually process the fact that the cable cost $150 until I was halfway out of the mall. I did a total cartoon WAITAMINUTE thing and went back into the store to get a refund. The dude tried to convince me that the hold-plated connectors made it better.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Combat Pretzel posted:

If that's true, it's a plus.

But anyway, if the encodings are transparent, there's economically nothing gained by keeping bit-perfect FLACs. Because it's sure as hell a pain in the rear end, whenever I have to do a full backup of my poo poo, and it's only around 35GB of compressed music. It'd be 3-4x that in FLAC.

If it's a pain in the rear end to back up 35GB of data, you're doing backups wrong. I don't keep FLACs, but only because when I digitized my CD collection I didn't have the hard drive space for it. I wish I had, but I didn't, and that's that. But my music collection is on the order of just under a terabyte of MP3s. If I could have backed up my collection in FLAC for only 200GB? I absolutely would have gone for it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

pgroce posted:

Even if you can't hear the difference, lossless codecs have three things going for them that none of the "audiophile" poo poo does:

1. The files are quantifiably different from 320kb MP3 in a way that might matter someday. Hypothetically, you can imagine some awesome future encoding algorithm that works noticeably better from lossless sources than lossy sources. Though that's a longshot; AFAIK you can almost always transcode a high-bitrate MP3 into anything else and without noticeable degradation over, say, FLAC.

2. Generally lossless files take fewer cycles to decode, for what that's worth. Usually not much, just like #1. However,...

3. Storage is cheap. It still makes a difference in mobile devices, but at home, the tradeoff in using 7GB to store your music versus 70GB is splitting hairs when storage is $50-75/TB.

I keep my music at home in FLAC. It's probably overkill, but it's cheap overkill, especially compared to someone selling shiny rocks to tape to your speaker cables for $2000 to "sweeten your mids" or something.

I've hosted at least a dozen can-you-tell-the-difference-between-mp3-and-wav contests that literally zero people have ever passed, but if I didn't have so much music or if storage was cheaper I'd be keeping it in FLAC just for archival purposes. Maybe one day I'll want to make art out of the waveforms or something and the MP3s will look like poo poo because they're missing everything above 20k.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

longview posted:

Spectral analysis of MP3 encoding would probably show a lot of "error" but that doesn't take into account the psycho-acoustic models lossy compression uses.

You can very easily tell an MP3 from uncompressed audio by looking at spectral analysis.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yes, that's exactly what he said.

They said 'probably'. I'm confirming, and saying absolutely. It's trivial.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Install Gentoo posted:

They ARE all about the sound quality, but the sound quality they are about is for a very specific range of sound.

I mean jeez, look at the name, its "Beats" not "Accurate broadband frequency responses".

They're not, though. The bass response is much lower quality than other headphones in their class. They're bad headphones.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Right, that's my point - the vinyl presumably has the recording on it in a constant angular velocity, and if it rotates at a constant speed the vertical deviations will change the speed of the needle on top of the material as the relative surface normal changes, resulting in a non-constant playback speed.

I think the needle that etched the initial record would have done so at the same constant angular velocity. So while hypothetically there might be peaks and valleys where the needle would increase/decrease the playback of the recorded music in very small amounts, the needle that etched it would have already left a speedly/slow version of the music in those valleys because it had to travel the same vertical distance. So when played back it would be at a regular playback speed.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

qirex posted:

Supposedly The Chemical Brothers' entire first album was recorded off microphones picking up the music played back through vintage guitar amps. Nowadays there's a plug-in for that but I always thought that was hilarious [if true].

I've actually recorded some ambient/doom-ish music by playing it through vintage guitar amps and it sounds loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Sagacity posted:

Okay, so I just did the initial calibration. I measured the frequency response at 10 or so places and then applied the plugin to some songs I know quite well. And, I must say, it really works. I realize that in this thread it's quite dangerous to talk about improved imaging and bass response ("air", "solidity", "presence", "quintessence") but it's really a very clear difference. One that would pass an ABX test :)

It's still not ideal, i.e. the response is not perfectly flat, but my home studio's mixing capabilities just went from pretty hopeless to quite reasonable. Yay!

I've been thinking about getting one of these. My room sounds loving terrible.