Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Combat Pretzel posted:

A block of milled plexiglass filled with ball bearings? What's the pseudoscientific rationale behind this poo poo?
Ummm.. Obviously it is specifically tuned to the resonant frequency of the Mac Mini, causing reduced listener fatigue from better harmonic coherency; greater definition with more organic tone, texture, and timbre; increased articulation with more micro-detail and micro-dynamics; a deeper and wider soundstage with increased separation and air; and better musical flow with more natural leading edge and sustain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

The funny thing about this is that since tapes are analog, they automatically get higher respect than MP3s among a large swath of audiophiles. Never mind the fact that cassette tapes have no more than 6 or 7 bits worth of "resolution" in them on a good day, utilizing the best playback equipment. If you actually tried to carry out this troll, there's a good chance the dealer wouldn't even bat an eye.

If they get the impression that you are ready and able to spend $100k, they will happily tell you all about how warm and detailed the sound of your speak'n'spell will be or whatever else they think will help empty your pockets.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Oh, a wav is a wav, but the problem is repeatedly stressing the bits every time you decompress the RAR. Each decompression includes multiple bit-shifts and addition operations, each taking its toll on the integrity of the bitstream. If you are listening to the track even a few times a week, it will only take 3-4 months before the effects add up and the bits are reduced to shell-shocked, used-up husks of their former selves. The RAR format simply wasn't designed for repeated listening.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Gold plated speaker inputs and vibration dampening are way low on the totem pole of audiophilerey. I wish my ht amp had some vibration dampening. It rattles like a chain link fence.

Yeah, gold plated connectors are standard on most industrial electronic equipment. Not really audiophile shenanigans.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there a way to get it to play from my nas without putting a gap between songs? Bdp-103

Conveniently combine all the songs into one really long track with a wave editor.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Need to use my income for something before the wife spends it all. And she really hates speakers, so that is a big bonus.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It looks pretty loving rad, anyway. How loud can it go without appreciable distortion?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm pretty sure stereo systems on the whole are dad gear these days. Whenever I go to a party that has music playing, it's a laptop running Spotify hooked up to a pair of Logitech speakers. And it sounds pretty good!
As long as you don't like bass or loud music, it sounds pretty good.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

After laughing over the pono and doing more reading, can someone help me understand how you rate an audio format's dynamic range? For instance, according to this image 16-bit 44.1 kHz has a Dynamic Range of 96dB. But I thought dynamic range was just the measurement of someone's ability to detect audio. And since you can amplify sound and music files, how does a dynamic range even exist? I am just really confused by the idea of Dynamic Range, even after sifting through the whole wiki.

Also, I am assuming that in PCM audio the bit depth determines the frequency range, correct?

beaten but,

The dynamic range is a ratio of the difference in magnitude between the largest signal and smallest signal. In a detector, that ratio is between the biggest thing it can detect and the smallest. In digital audio, it is the ratio between the biggest signal that can be represented by the format and the smallest.

For binary integers, 8-bit can have 255 non-zero values, 16-bit can have 65535 values, a 24-bit signal 16.7 million. So the ratio of the biggest to smallest value in 16-bit is 65535:1. You can find the dynamic range in dB by 20*log10(2^bitdepth-1). More bits means a larger dynamic range.

The sampling frequency is what determines the frequency range. Part of making a signal digital is taking a reading every so often. This is called sampling. Because the data is sampled, there is a limit to what we can accurately represent. There is a sampling theorem that says that you need to sample twice as fast as the fastest frequency you are interested in. So, if you sample at 44.1kHz, you could represent, at best, a 22.05kHz signal accurately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

I just want to make sure I understand this by explaining it in laymans terms.

The bit depth determines the number of intensity intervals, or that is to say, a higher bit depth means there can be a greater difference between the quietest something can be loudest it can be.
Yes, the bit-depth also influences how small a difference there can be between two things of almost the same intensity.

quote:

The sampling frequency determines the range of frequencies a sound file can output. So a sampling frequency of 400 Hz will create a sound file that can only output 200 Hz max, or that is to say, very low tones.

And because human hearing upper limit is around 20kHz, anything above a samplying rate of 40kHz is essentially pointless correct?
Right. I don't think anyone disputes the sampling theory. The counter-claim is that sounds above 20kHz influence our sensing of the audio even though we have a difficult time picking out those frequencies in a hearing test environment. I'm skeptical, but the only downsides to a faster sampling rate are increased processing overhead and larger filesize. Which are almost free these days, so go for it IMO.

quote:

Also was the dynamic range expressed in dB for the express purpose of being used in conjunction with reference volume?

dB is a good way to express a ratio that can be very large, so it gets used for a lot of things. This wikipedia page has a whole bunch

taqueso fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 5, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KillHour posted:

This is not true. Sounds over 22khz played through many systems can cause audible aliasing or harmonics (which are bad).

Yeah, I suppose so and maybe even likely on an average setup. I meant more 'it isn't worse as a technology', and didn't mean to imply that it would always be better in practice. I can see how what I wrote could easily be taken that way.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

flosofl posted:

OK that's it. I'm going to buy a bunch of these and mark them up 1,000%

Umm, that is an alien space ray generator, you don't want that anywhere near your gear

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

flosofl posted:

No no no. As you see by the colors, they capture the colored space-rays so as to not affect the color of your sound. Sheesh.

Oh, I see! Interesting that they don't manage to capture any red space-rays, the most destructive of all space rays.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Do audiophiles sperg about ECC memory? Seems perfect for them: it protects against mysterious cosmic rays, the errors protected against are very rare and hard to identify, and it costs a bunch of money versus the typical solution. I guess the only downside is that it actually serves a practical purpose.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KillHour posted:

I doubt most audiophiles really enjoy music very much.

I prefer the pure tones of sine waves to the cacophony of music.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Just to confirm that KillHour isn't being sarcastic, REW is a great program and a calibrated USB mic is a good investment. You will end up listening to a lot of loud tone sweeps, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2jDNZ5JuQ

This poo poo will ruin your house with a decent sub.

Unironically would like to hear more stuff like that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Darker sounding. What the gently caress does that even signify.

You get to use your imagination!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cable insulation is crucial to maintaining a warm sound.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Love that wood panel, makes me feel like I'm in a 2000 Taurus with the fancy interior package.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Looks to be only passive components, so it won't be replacing any values.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm just shocked that the circuit board is green and not pure white or darkest black.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You wont see it when its inside a garden hose and sleeving

But the electrons will know :ohdear:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

grack posted:

Also, he probably has it covered in three feet of caulking.

Never do that. You have to pack around it with jute and lambswool, then smear pitch all over that. Same effect, but no nasty caulking chemicals eating away at your capacitors.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

What's wrong with CDs?
They take up space.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

There are lots of procurement issues with fancy screens if you aren't a huge buyer, usually you can only get the left overs with no guarantee of being able to buy more later (then you get to do a redesign!). Moving to a high-res display also adds bunch of new graphics/UI work and you need a beefy uC to be able to move those pixels around. Might as well put Android on it... and then you are flying down the rabbit hole..

I do think they should have at least used a white on black LCD like someone else mentioned, what they have now just looks dated.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

tonberrytoby posted:

granite plate is pretty much useless.

In industrial manufacturing, they will sometimes place equipment on isolated concrete pads with their own foundation separate from the rest of the building. Maybe that could be a thing for audiophiles.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

fart simpson posted:

I'm nearly 100% certain that there is no music store that sells 32 bit music files.

Increasing bit depth from 24 to 32 isn't destructive in any way and can be done perfectly. It's just tacking 8 zeroes onto the end of the binary number. It's the same idea as changing a 0-10 rating scale into a 0-100 rating scale by multiplying everything by 10.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Do you have room for a subwoofer under your desk?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I do, but I won't be using it.
At least not in the office.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I probably won't ever actually use them at work, I just need to assert my cubicle dominance.

Seems to check out

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Maximum audio quality isn't reached until you Power your entire audio system with DC power from lithium ion batteries charged by solar panels.

Lithium Ion?? WTF. Only carbon dry cells.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

No, that is referring to physical speed and precision. The cable has a nickel-PFTE sheath that reduces friction for the fastest uncoiling and routing. Patented feed lips machined into the plug allow for lightning fast cable changes and drop-free release of spent cables. For the absolute fastest USB cable changes, you will also want to add the accompanying portwell to your system's USB ports:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Why don't those subwoofers have any power crystals on them? Are you an amateur?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

boner fuel, post your cables

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It lets the pure audio signal through unmolested by negative waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh-JpWdGmQ

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The light makes use of the extra electrons before they can get into the system and noise it all up.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

But how can you really be sure unless its a 1996 oppo?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

At what point is a system bad considering it's now adding things to a production that the producer never intended?
This is how skynet starts.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

But gold is shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Every time I look in here I remember I need to start making audiophile equipment.