Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

While googling some info on speakers I found this rather strange statement on the head fi forums:

quote:

Highs
I played the album New For MS made by Roni Size Reprazent to see how well they do with highs. I also played The Songs by Samuel Barber.

The highs are detailed. Very detailed. The cymbals sound like they should sound. You can tell everything apart. Nothing muffled here like there is in the mids. The vocals are clear. I don’t have a woman here to check out how it sounds in reality, but I imagine this is quite close.

I would say the highs are the biggest plus for these speakers.

Can the sound of a woman be improved by adding a packet of rocks though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

What hifi's reviews of regular stuff are OK, their "high end" stuff though.... Yeah that's a bit much.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I sold some speaker stands on gumtree as they were just taking up space and the guy that bought them spent a good 10 minutes telling me all the models of the equipment he had because (I think) he assumed that I was way more into it than I am on account of them having a 4 star what hi-fi rating in 2007 for "increasing dynamic space" or something.

I just needed something to put my speakers on :shrug:

Nice guy though. He said after he retired he got into two things: stereos and custom building PCs but "bitcoin ruined that".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Now is as good a time as any to link the Harman audition tracks:

https://artoflistening.harman.com/professional-reference-songs

They may not be your taste, but they have definitely been proven effective for testing speakers.

The Spotify link is missing 5 tracks. The Tidal link has all of them.

Nice attempt at trying to trick me into listening to Michael Bublé but I won't fall for it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Will they increase the brightness of my stereo system too?

If you drink enough, yes.

But not too much or you'll muddy it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I bet that spatial sound is just a fancy eq or sweet spot calibrator like you'd get in any cinema system and that makes it sound slightly different so the listener's brain thinks it's hearing some incredible clarity improvement.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I've found that some decent calibration removes a lot of the need to crank the volume but then again I use a cinema amp with a separate sub for music so it will auto level itself.

Also audiophiles hate the idea of someone listening to music on a cinema amp, and to make it worse I cast to it to do it :twisted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I would love to know the logic behind HDMI CEC/eARC and power on commands because I'll be hosed if I can figure it out. Sometimes it's "power on with TV if it was the last audio output selected", sometimes it's "power on with the TV even if it wasn't the last audio out selected but the TV was the last input", and sometimes it's "power on when nothing is selected at all, or maybe depending on shutdown order". All I want is to be able to use the pass through remote without the power management.

I mean CEC is better than it was (because it used to be absolute garbage) but this is ridiculous.

How am I supposed to get value out of my $1000 dollar hdmi cable now????

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I have speaker cable running way further than that with no problems but otoh my desktop amp gets interference from a nearby source about 20cm away even when off so in conclusion just do whatever, nothing makes any difference.

Pretty sure I have a 5m hdmi cable as well actually.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mederlock posted:

The reason for that is the relative difference in amplified signal going speaker wire compared to the noise/interference that the wire will pick up is quite large, whereas a line level signal has more amplification that it (and the noise/EMI) is going to receive, and the differential in signal level between it and the noise is much less so it's more noticeable. That's why stupid expensive speaker wire is an absolute joke and worthy of ridicule, but a mid range well shielded line level(ie. RCA) cable makes some sense, and why some people opt for balanced XLR connections for line level or mic/instrument sources especially in the professional audio recording world.

Huh I never actually thought about the difference in amplitude now I feel foolish.

Well I guess I'll need to get me some quad shielded 3.5mm cables and crystals.

Do I need to charge the crystals first? Who can help with that?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bargearse posted:

Which is how it should be. I have a Denon home theatre amp, I only have it connected to my network so I can AirPlay stuff to it but it functions just fine as an amp and should continue to do so indefinitely.

Denon/Marantz also have an app called Heos that's a bit basic app wise, but let's you stream pretty much anything on their amps from the amps themselves, as well as remote control them etc.

All the main services are there and even poo poo like Deezer. Plus network streaming ofc.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I was looking for some cheap risers because my blu ray player is sitting on top of the AV amp which is terrible for thermals but it's the only place I can put it on the shelf and lol there's some good stuff out there:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IsoAcousti...6484312&sr=8-15

some idiot posted:

Winner of the Absolute Sound Golden Ear Award 2020, 2019 EISA Award for Best Product, Stereophile Product of the year 2019, and Stereophile Editor’s Choice 2018.
The GAIA I includes thread adaptors for sizes M8-1.25, M12-1.25 and ¼”-20. Alternative thread size adaptors are available upon request. Contact the amazon seller or IsoAcoustics for alternate thread size adaptors.
PATENTED ISOACOUSTICS ISOLATION: Tested at the National Research Council of Canada (NRC). The IsoAcoustics award winning isolators manage the energy of the speaker to reduce vibrations resonating through the supporting surface and reduce internal reflections to eliminate smear. The result is an improved stereo image of natural spatial sound.

~~golden ears~~

only £200 for the small ones and £500 for the large, a bargain!

there's also the speaker spikes advertising that they are "pure copper" and a set of rubber puck things where you can get 12 for £15 or £15 for 11. The second ones are cheaper because they're advertising them as stands for outdoor pot plants lmao, so the exact same product just in a box with "audio isolators" written on them is more expensive.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

This is why I print my music out as raw binary and manually enter it into my player.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Let me sell you this Pro Audio Printer USB Filter that will reduce any amount of Jitter and alignment issues your printer's data transfer may introduce, you want to ensure your 1's and 0's are entered on a pure basis to allow the best audio quality. PM me for more details, Goon discount 1,239 dollars, usually I sell this for 2,349.

This is suspiciously cheap, I don't believe it will improve the spaciousness of my printouts.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not without my audiophile grade gold plated printer cables and ink you can’t

This sounds more promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I just bought a 2m toslink cable but I'm worried that I'll be losing soundstage because I didn't buy the gold plated model, there's one that cost 80x as much on Amazon should I buy It?