Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

With all the placebos these people take, it's surprising that all audiophiles aren't four hundred pounds and diabetic.

That's funny, I just assume that they are all fat. I never thought about why I think that though.

I have noticed that many of these guys with tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment do not use any sort of table or bench to put their equipment on, they just put it on the carpet. Are they concerned that the table might resonate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Pibborando San posted:

When you see those rigs with the processors and amps seemingly sitting on the floor, they've almost always got them coupled to platform risers like these.

That must be it, the last example that I saw of this was of a listening room that was in its own guest house looking building.

I suppose that it has something to do with my age and such, but I just cannot fathom sitting down with the sole purpose of listening to music. Although I do find myself doing way too much of the, "I wonder what this song sounds like through these speakers?" bullshit. Even so, I don't think that I will carry it much further than upgrading/trading amps and speakers.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

sometimes it can be fun to just sit down and purely listen to a song or two but they have to be very very good songs. what most audiophiles listen to would probably put me to sleep

I listen intently occasionally as well, I don't sit down for hours at a time though. If I were to build an extra house to listen to music, I could only justify it by listening to music for hours at a time. On the other hand, a house with just a stereo and a chair in it does sound nice.

On the other end of the spectrum, the vintage guys are a hoot. I saw a picture of a pair of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre A5's in a living room that couldn't have been much more than ten feet wide with a chair that barely fit in between the speakers.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Audiot posted:

:psyduck:
I've known audio guys who have gone down that path. If you're going to get that deep into it I would think you would go to an audiologist and get your ears flushed. As a friend put it, "you'll be able to hear squirrels talking".

This also falls into the guys that wear earplugs to preserve their hearing. I won't wear ear plugs when I drive so that I can take them out once in a while to make my stereo/ recording sound better.

With the amount of effort these guys put into their audiophillia, you would think that they would have figured out how to make a competitive sport of it.

TheFuglyStik posted:

Are they so drat elitist that a good system in a car isn't pure enough? Putting yourself through a drive in dead silence sounds like some punishment dreamed up in hell.
I'm no elitist, but there is little chance that you can equal home hifi in a car.

I meant to post this earlier, Ambiophonics apparently there is a way to do it with dsp, but the thought of staring at the end of a mattress while listening to music cracks me up.

That Genuine Stank fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 15, 2009

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

qirex posted:

*spends $75,000 "recreating the experience of being right there at a show"*
*every jazz club in the world goes out of business*

That makes me wonder, does anyone have any insight into what most audiophiles think of going to live concerts? I don't seek out the places that these people converse, so I wouldn't know. My best guess is that they rarely go because the sound equipment is often pretty horrible.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Competition requires objective measurements, which audiophiles take to like vampires take to holy water.

Objective, like figure skating?

On the other end, there are people like our very own,

TyroneShoes posted:

I recommend all audiophiles learn about the speaker design and learn how to read frequency and distortion plots unless they have ridiculous income. Flat and accurate response can be had at a fraction of what people pay. A lot of it is psychoacoustics.
Who believe that audio quality is in the speakers and the frequency response thereof is the most important thing in a stereo. He does go on to say that the speakers are only as good as the room, which says to me that a perfect speaker is only possible if you are able to take the room acoustics into account. I know enough that I would agree that the frequency response of a speaker is predictable, but I only know rules of thumb on the room acoustics side of things. Perhaps he can shed some light on this.

I know enough, also, to say that I prefer more low frequency in comparison to the rest of the range. I am not fooling myself into thinking that my ideal is reaching some absolute 'hi-fidelity'. Then again, I tend to hang out on boards that are more concerned with diy or vintage gear.

Now pardon me while I check my capacitors for leakage.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you are willing to pay $100 for a pair of cables, excuse me, audio interconnects, that do the same job as a much cheaper alternative (not necessarily coat hangers, but actual run-of-the-mill cables), then you should be prepared to be ridiculed. Who's going to see them anyway?

Because not everybody pushes their speakers against the wall?

On the other hand, that is not a guitar strap hanging from the speaker pictured below

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Mothrog posted:

Now with video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px7LqMMSdz8

And as a bonus, "pizza" created by our favorite nutter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIbi4FdwrfI&feature=related

This is a related video of Patrick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_WkKz1LJbQ

This is were you can buy a power cable just like this for about 2k, http://www.virtualdynamics.ca/Genesis there is also an interesting video of a rep talking about the economics of audiophillia.

woops, turns out that is not the genesis cable, it is the judge. This is what pat had to say about the price,

patthenutter posted:

Virtual Dynamics told me not to say the price. But I can say that Genesis is a very small fraction of the price of Judge. I traded in Genesis and sold most of my room to pay for it.

I haven't really delved to far into his gear, but it looks like this is all just for a pair of headphones. Is that the case?

Edit: 25k is the rumour.

That Genuine Stank fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 1, 2009

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Why does the dude whisper and be super creepy in his videos? He is hilarious.

Someone asked him about that, I don't think that he answered. I am pretty curious about that too.

After further reading, he said that the price might have been more like 50k. I don't know if anyone has read this far, but his source is a laptop that runs through a usb dac then through a t-amp. To top it off, he apparently only/mainly listens to trance music! Someone figured that his dac and amp are worth a whopping 300 bux together! So even figuring in an expesive-ish laptop, his power cable is worth cost him at least ten times the total of the rest of his gear. Oh yeah, and he covers it all in expensive wrapping paper. He also claims that changing sources, amps, and other important pieces of equipment only make the sound different, not better. Yet he feels that the best way to improve a system is to buy things like "Magix levitation feet"

I think that we have reached peak audiophillia.

this is his profile, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/members/patrick82/ I think that all or most of his previously owned stuff was sold to pay for this cord.

That Genuine Stank fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 1, 2009

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

patrick probably has mental issues. the funny thing is if you didnt see any videos or pictures, the way he talks about audio cables is no different than everyone else on head-fi.

I agree, though I would think that his opinion on everything else outside of his "tweaks" isn't like the regular crowd. He sold most of his gear to buy that power cord after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Helado posted:

Why stop with simple paper, go with full brass mesh faraday cages.

Brass mesh faraday cages are for plebes :smug: This is what he is using,http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillpoints/ers_specs.html He said that he bought it through https://www.partsconnexion.com/accessories_ers.html He bought 100 sheets, after his discount that works out to be a little less than $2k.

As ridiculous as his ideas are, I am starting to feel sorry for him. Very few people take him seriously on head-fi and some are even hostile towards him. The rest treat him like comic relief. it is really difficult to take him seriously, now that I think of it, nobody would believe him if it weren't for the pictures and video.

In one of his ers threads, someone suggested grounded tinfoil as an alternative. :tinfoil:

There must be more people like Patrick, as nutty as audiophiles can be it would seem that there is another one that is equally imbalanced when it comes to upgrades. Like there might be a knobophile, http://web.archive.org/web/20070830091736/http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C ?

Are you suggesting a forum invasion King Hotpants?