Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If the algorithm works well enough, it ought to sound like an instrumental version. But I messed around with it earlier, yea, karaoke I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lmao they don't even try to make them properly, look how bad the loving holes are drilled into these. I refuse to believe anyone is stupid enough to buy these.

The only point they get right is environment is a huge factor in how things sound.
So the solution is making a messy room even more cluttered, to improve sound?

If he really was about improving the sound of the room, he should probably first remove that gaudy ceiling fan. I'm pretty certain the plastic blades will reflect a lot of poo poo around the room.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

On the same note, why no fiber solutions? I mean, it decouples circuits. Not that it matters in anyway practically.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mamma mia! I hope none of these people are in any professional positions where they have to make sensible decisions.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Use headphones.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently Spotify is gonna release a subscription level serving uncompressed audio. Gonna be fun to see how these audiophools are gonna poo poo on it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

njsykora posted:

In the UK it was the dominant storage media for the microcomputers of the 80s since floppy disks were too expensive at manufacture
...then I got an 1541 anyway and suddenly was drowning in floppy disks for some reason. I can't even recall where I got all the games, because I could count all my computer friends on a hand of a guy that played once too much with fireworks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Did anyone ever take the Airpods apart and try to measure them?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

That said I’m actually quite surprised there isn’t a dataset available online already. Especially for the Pro model.
I found something.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/apple-airpods-pro-truly-wireless-vs-samsung-galaxy-buds-plus-truly-wireless/1625/1791

I guess I'll be keeping my Galaxy Buds+ some more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Maybe I have a reading deficiency, but I couldn't find on that page a description as to what you're supposed to do/paint with this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So they're using loving magnets for god knows what reason, and they're just making up a small segment of the whole cable run. So what's exactly the point again of this?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The very least they could have wrapped it all the length in a fat garden hose, to at least pretend.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Who here is excited about MQA as a digital audio format that requires MQA-specific compatible hardware to work and that you probably pay a permium for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc

The fun starts 05:47 in the video.
a) The guy is an idiot for giving these idiots the time of day.
b) The Tidal desktop app cloned the Spotify look?

--edit:
I looked into his channel, clicked the Schitt DAC review, scrubbed a bit, landed on the section about USB clocks and jitter, noped out.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 19, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Someone linked a site over in the pseudoscience thread.

Oof. I mean, it looks nice, but it's so entirely uselessly complicated.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

It's also a render, right?
Quite possible. If so, great attention to detail.

On the other hand, I work in cable manufacturing, and the guy who prepares the model for catalog shots over here can do pretty fancy things with the cables.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Isn't the typical latency of BT headphones pretty much counterproductive to his use-cases? You only get low latency with manufacturer specific combinations, like Airpods and iPhones or Galaxy Buds and Samsung Phones, because they use their own proprietary communication modes or codecs, respectively.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 15, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I still have a traditional sound card, that probably gets the same 5V as the USB ports, and there's gently caress all noise. If that works, some USB DAC ought to be able to do it noise free, too.

--edit: O wai, PCIe has 3.3V and 12V only. Nevermind then.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

movax posted:

Oh no, what if there is a *makes spooooooky noises* switching power supply on board!?!?!
Where? My soundcard? And here I thought I had a tinnitus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones installed. Turns out it never really did its job properly, because I'm using MPC-BE and have its WASAPI output mode set to shared (which is default), and therefore doesn't pass the bitstream as-is and instead just decodes it itself. :shobon:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Running the NAND cells in SLC mode (or pseudo-SLC, which might or might not be some firmware fuckery tripling bits when writing and decimating them on read) makes things sound differently for reasons.

quote:

TLC mode: It sounds like background music, no features and powerless, everything is flattened, lacks extension and density.

pSLC mode: There is a special natural feeling, it becomes more smooth and calm, the thickness is slightly increased, and overall it is more resistant to hearing but still slightly dry.
What in the gently caress is it with these audiophile douchenozzles not understanding digital audio and PCM coding.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What the 44000 fucks?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Quick question, because the right people are all here.

The sound of the video podcast of a regional radio station has been pissing me off since forever. Today it came to a head and recorded a sample (click for big).

What the gently caress? What's the significance of these notches? If there is any? Why even do this to content that's being streamed on the interwebs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

qirex posted:

His fight with the PS Audio guy alone where he proved that not only did their 5 grand power conditioner do nothing but the special high current amp outlet actually introduced extra AC noise was awesome.
I looked up what this thing does. Amir should have gotten and tested some random Double Conversion UPS for a fifth of the price, to compare. Since it'd do exactly the same thing, with the added benefit of backup power.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah, it blows my mind. Like Techmoan said, it's digital, it's either on or off. The idea that you can magically change the sound is just insane. And _then_ hearing how it "affected" video files, where you _know_ you can literally rip the raw files on the disc to compare... like, come on folks, you're all insane.
It's not even the on-off thing.

There's an encoding of data, where the bits have a specific "purpose". Changing some ominous light scattering won't flip the bits of the audio data and the mathematically complex error correction data in the frame in the right way to represent a wider sound stage or whatever the gently caress. You can explain to these morons on how Red Book Compact Discs work until you get blue in the face, it's loving useless.

And don't get me started on compressed video becoming "sharper and more vivid".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You probably didn't force format ID 251 when pulling those files. For a while, you had to tell youtube-dl to pick specific substreams if you wanted best quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They keep not understanding digital data.