Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Audiot posted:

This also falls into the guys that wear earplugs to preserve their hearing. I won't wear ear plugs when I drive so that I can take them out once in a while to make my stereo/ recording sound better.
How is preserving your hearing a bad thing? Wearing earplugs in noisy environments makes a lot of sense. The amount of white noise you get while driving is pretty impressive.

Most of the long term damage is by aging and being exposed to loud noise over a long period which, if you go to concerts or have a really lovely vehicle or hang out next to jackhammers all day, will leave you deaf as hell late in life. Or, if you're a raver, deaf as hell early in life.

A pair of 20+dB reduction earplugs makes a huge difference in your quality of life and I'm surprised that more folks don't use them. I've done so consistently for years and refuse to go to concerts or any other high noise environment without them. Seeing some band live is no reason to lose my ability to hear them ten and twenty years down the road.

Rant on protecting your hearing complete.

Back to laughing at "audiophiles" and their craziness. I think some of the higher end gear costs a bundle because it is hand-built and uses much nicer materials than stuff you get from an assembly line somewhere. I think there is a reasonable amount of excess you can indulge in to get good looking speakers and amps and such that scream out "Hey, I spent a bunch of disposable income on my home speaker system because I'm rich as hell and all you poors can go suck it." Conspicuous consumption drives some of this so you'll see folks with jobs that give them loads of money try to one-up their competition by buying even more retarded setups.

:c00l: Looks like I am the alpha male of this confederacy of VP's with my Optimus XL-3 System that uses Nagia interconnects. I didn't really look much at the price but you know, probably a cool 50 grand or so.

:smug: Ho ho ho, not so fast Bob. Your quaint little system has nothing on my Dunkenschmaker Valkyries which were assembled by the last known Speakermachenmeister in all of Germany before he died. I barely glanced at the six figure price tag since I just have to have The Best.

:c00l: :( fuuuuuuukkkk.

Old. Rich. Audiophile. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU