Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

monkeytek posted:

So I'm 42 and had a hearing test. I've lost 3-5% of my hearing from the age of 10. Doctor told me this is pretty normal and it is at the higher ranges mostly. So how can these audiophiles be able to hear this distinction in the higher registers if they've lived lives in a normal industrialized society? So are their really individuals who have this tremendously enhanced hearing over the norm with little or no hearing loss with age? I see the frequency ranges and clarity they talk about and it just boggles me, they look like ranges only a dog or cat would be able to actually hear.

I'm 32 and can hear into the 18-19K range. I used to have better hearing but lost a lot do to spending hours troubleshooting software in noisy server rooms where earplugs were not readily available. I'm known for picking up a friends whispering to another friend 20 feet away. Even with that, I say most of these audiophiles are completely nuts. In fact, I've met some who had $20K in audio equipment that sounded worse than what a grand would have got them. I guess more money means it should sound better (like beats headphones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

I really expected a post starting with "Getting back to actual science and using the correct hardware" to at least involve an oscilloscope or multimeter to back up claims about waveforms and voltage levels. In my experience, consumer level equipment almost always outputs unbalanced audio from RCA jacks at -10dBV, and tolerances are looser than professional equipment. Professional equipment almost always outputs balanced audio from TRS, XLR, or captive screw connections at +4dBu, some units have mic/line level switches, and a lot will offer an unbalanced output on RCA jacks at -10dBv.

Speaking of expensive cables and actual science, I'll be spending tomorrow replacing my old RG59 cable TV wire terminated with screw-on F connectors with a remnant of Belden 1694A I got for free and some decent compression fittings. Crossing my fingers that I can get the MER up into the acceptable range for the box in my room to start working again.

Other then very short runs say from a wall to a box, I never do understand why cable companies will often wire a house with RG-59. I usually wire up friends house with RG-6 or better. RG-59 is only good for wall to box / tv.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

I occasionally browse audio gear photos on flickr and I came across this ridiculous battery powered phono stage:

I am assuming the point is to reduce noise from a transformer, but is there any benefit over just putting the power supply in an external brick like literally every other piece of consumer electronics?

Straight linear DC to feed the amp. No possibility of noise or power deviations. No need to worry about power outages?

As to external transformers, I say gently caress manufacturers who use them. I've often find them to be a huge source of rf noise that leaks into analog audio cables and raises the noise floor of my ham radio.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zwjn7hgFV4

It's really down to how much attention you're going to pay to your music; if you're literally sitting there trying to hear every difference, you want every edge you can get with accuracy -- but most people don't do this; hell, I record someone as a serious hobby and I don't even care about it too much. People aren't focusing 100% of their conscious brainpower to listen to music, which is why I say it doesn't matter.

People "know" that compression is bad, but there's so much variation of what "compression" means to different people. To some, it's poor data compression, displayed best by the hissing/shimmering cymbals and ill-defined bass of early 2000's Napster files; to others, it's the compression of dynamic range, or loudness (which is a whole different :can:); others even think that compression is some kind of mystical quality that magic wires and vacuum tubes eliminate -- this one is the only one that's completely bullshit.

I have heard (I don't know where they are now) some tracks recorded at 16 kbps that are utterly clean and clear, but they were mastered flawlessly, and only had one instrument; I have also heard FLAC's that sound like poo poo because they originally were an mp3 Limewire encode from 2004.

I do notice that a lot of music, especially pop music, from the late 90's and early 2000's has kind of a poor mp3 quality sound too it. I used to blame it on the fact I had an mp3 version only. However, with Amazon deals, I've nabbed a number of them and did the encode myself. The poor sound remains. Timberlakes -(On No) What You Got exhibits it, and Beyonce's Crazy In Love both drive me nuts.

jonathan posted:

Don't forget as well that the ultra high frequency stuff that can be detected subliminally is always linked to stress and fatigue.

The low end of the hearing spectrum, 16hz and below... That's the fun frequencies to attempt to duplicate.

Olympus has Fallen has a scene that reaches down to 0hz. Yeah, DC.

True silence?

HFX fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 18, 2014

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Over-compressed and squashed sound, from mashing everything into the last 2-3dB of dynamic range, in order to sound as loud as possible on the radio. Thankfully, the trend seems to be reversing.

More like "park the speaker cone fully extended and burn out the voice coil". Thankfully, most equipment (active subs, at least) have subsonic filters built in to prevent that kind of damage.

I assume you would have had to use a generator to create that. The question is why would you?

As to going down to sub 20hz or more. Are we trying to communicate with elephants now? I understand making things shake. It is just that I don't particularly like making cracks in my house.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

jonathan posted:

Forgetting physics... How is a radio frequency that low possible ? At that frequency would it not take on some other properties ? Such as when heat turns to light...

Radio, infrared, light, xrays are all electromagnetic waves. Radio waves in particular are all waves less then 300 GHZ (1mm). The wave would also be very unlikely to interact with matter.

KillHour posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's good for "Breaking FCC regulations." Was I close?

Edit: That antenna isn't nearly long enough to generate a 7.83Hz wave. Some back-of-the-napkin math is giving me a wavelength of ~38,000 KM.

Double Edit: I reported them to the FCC. :allears:

FCC won't care. The wave is unlikely to interact in any meaningful way to anything but your analog devices in your house. Even then, it would probably be no worse then what your speaker system generates.

The antenna will generate a signal, just that most of the signal would probably end up being reflected back into the antenna. That is a full wave length antenna you mark which are rarely used for broadcast. Any antenna for that frequency would have to be astronomical in size (19000km for half wave dipole, 9500km for a quater wave) or be heavily loaded (another device that would generate heat) if you didn't want your amplifier getting hot from the reflected power.

I now realize HAM radio has taught me too much. :-(

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The original drivers do support 64bit and Windows 8. I used a Xonar until recently. The unified drivers are the original ones with some assembly fuckery and INF tweaks. Asus initially advertised the Xonar series by claiming not to clone Creative's terrible driver situation. Yet look where we are. Things are switched now, Creative's competent and Asus is not.

Woah. If I can have good drivers for my X-Fi in Windows 8 64 bit, I might have to stick it back in my computer (probably won't or can't).

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

There's nothing wrong with liking records. They have the whole ritual of getting ready to play and if you want to listen to another track, you have to directly interact with the player in a very manual way. It's all very tactile and involving.

It's a bit using a fireplace even though you have a perfectly functional central heating system. The whole process of chopping and drying wood, and starting and tending the fire adds another dimension. It may be a lot less efficient, but it is rather romantic and a lot of people enjoy that.

The problem comes when people start insisting that older is automatically better.

The people I know who have Vinyl:
DJs who find it easier to queue up and get the effects they want with vinyl.
Collectors who have that original print of David Bowie's first album they bought for $5 bucks from some garage sale. May share a crossover with guys who collect old turntables for aesthetics and need to buy things to play on them.
Audiophiles / Hipsters: Digital is just too lifeless and awful for my ears do to (insert magic, etc here).

Theris posted:

CDs are capable of way more dynamic range. The problem, though, is that the vinyl releases of recent albums often have much more dynamic range than the CD/digital versions, because it's technically impossible to apply the brickwall DRC that the digital versions get to the vinyl version.

It feeds the "vinyl sounds better" myth, because for a lot of albums it actually does! And that sucks because it turns what should be a slam dunk "of course CDs are better than vinyl, you dolt" argument into "well, CDs theoretically could sound better than vinyl, and would if the engineers and artists making them weren't a bunch of assholes."

I'll give you this. However, that has nothing to do with formats.

Depressing: Looking at the replay gain values set for albums mastered in the 80s and early 90's verses today.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

I recently found some old CDRs full of mp3s that I burned back in my freshman year 1999. I used to actually get mad when people used higher than 128kbps because the files were bigger and took longer to download on my 28.8 :downs:

Anyway, even listening to these on the actual stereo I used back then (I'm moving so my receiver isn't here now) and some old cabinet speakers I brought home literally from the side of the road, holy poo poo these files sound like hot garbage. Loud pop stuff like 311 and AC/DC is super obviously compressed to :barf: levels and all cymbals have been replaced with static. I seriously doubt my ears have actually gotten better these last 15 years so I must just have been too dumb to notice back then...

Yeah, many of those old napster mp3s were awful. However, it was awesome because you could have an artists full collection on one disc.

I am glad I made the decision to flac a lot of my rips from back then. It makes reencoding with the latest lame version super easy.

What really makes me sad is listening to a lot of music mixed in the late 90s and early 2000s and realizing how bad the mixing was. Some of it sounds like a bad mp3 even on cd (looking at you Beyonce's Crazy).

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

TomR posted:

One day I'll take a photo with all the knobs on it, but I think my tube amp looks pretty nice. Sounds like poo poo though.

http://imgur.com/a/U5eDa

As compared to AM radios in general? Did you replace the caps? How are the speakers in the cabinet?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

TomR posted:

You can see in the link that I replaced the caps. The radio works fine. It uses an old style speaker with two coils instead of a magnet. The speaker is 12" so the sound from it is kind of flat. I get an AM baseball station that sounds fine because its just talk. There is an RCA jack that I have tried other sources with. I keep an FM tuner from the late 70s in the cabinet so I can listen to music. Still sounds flat without tweeters though.

My point is the radio looks nice and is old and cool. I use it from time to time because I like it, not because I think it sounds good. It does not.

Sorry. I missed the cap replacement. I love fixing old radios. Not because I believe they will sound better, but because they are neat to keep running. Doesn't mean I don't try to tune them up to sound the best I can.

Just went backed and looked at the link. Half of that didn't load for me while at work. Our Internet in that building is horrible. Sorry, I missed it.

HFX fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 13, 2016

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

well why not posted:

It's got a lot of pretty high frequencies, which are usually the first to get smashed by compression. The example of the hihats I mentioned above basically applies again here, but that's a really neat example.

I remember compressing all my MP3s to lossy WMA to save space in the early 2000s, and all my bad pop punk suddenly sounded terrible - another genre with loads of hihats! They became this weird flat, dull beep. Super hard to listen to, and even I, a dumb kid with bad logitech speakers could tell it was way worse sounding.

Cowgirl is one of my favorite tracks to use for testing / equalization purposes do to overall range and ease to listen for distortions. ATB's - Emotion and Too Much Rain also do well.

HFX fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I'm not saying he's correct about the file becoming lossy, but a filename change shouldn't affect a checksum. There could be some metadata injected into the file header by whatever conversion software he was using.

WAV is also a container type vs the audio inside. Of course the data should be exactly the same if the both encoders outputted to LPCM. However, there are a number of settings on how a wav file is output that will lead to different md5sums even if both encodings were using LPCM. What I would not expect is for the data lined end to end with padding removed from each block to be different from the original.