Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Back when I was a TA, I had a student who spent about $2500 putting a sound system into his $300 car. Before reading this thread, I thought he was the dumbest A/V related person ever. I was so sheltered.

About the guy with the million dollar theater/sound install; Do you think he realizes that for less, he could have built an actual theater with 100+ seats with state of the art projection and sound? I was also trying to figure out why he would just keep buying more amps. What would he think he was gaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

davepsilon posted:

Why would he want a 100-seat theater? Part of the allure is probably the expense. He has money and wants to turn that money into nice things. He gains the ability to show it off as well. Just like other rich guys collect fine art I suppose.

It just seemed strange to read that interview where he seems to be saying that he'll spend whatever it takes to most accurately reproduce the experience of a theater, when top of the line theater projection and sound would be a maybe a 5th the price he's already paid if you had them spec'ed for 150-200 seat auditorium (it would be much cheaper for a smaller space). Hell, you could build a pimped out IMAX theater for less than he spent.

So today I got am email from a guy complaining that we had put the movie he wanted to see in our theater which has inferior sound (its a 4 screen cinema). He spent two paragraphs explaining how superior the adjacent theater clearly is to anyone who can hear.
The spaces are the same size, with the same wall treatments. Both theaters are running the exact same sound equipment (amplifiers, speakers, etc.) which was installed and is maintained by the same technician. The life of a ridiculous audiophile must be sad indeed. He can't even enjoy his crappy movie. :(

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

davepsilon posted:

a home IMAX theater would probably be a more impressive sight.

Well, an IMAX projector only costs around 120k, so you'd probably need to add a few pounds of gold somehow to make it respectable. On the plus side for audiophiles, the digital version of IMAX is compete poo poo compared to the film version.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

The goal is not to reproduce the theater experience, it's to outperform it in every way imaginable.

This would be sort of difficult though, as no home projection system or TV comes close to the resolution of a 35mm or even a digital projector (let alone an IMAX projector) that you would find at a theater.

So how much better does the million dollar ultimate audiophile system sound, assuming you spent the money on things that matter and not $5,000 HDMI cables or something?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Princess posted:

In these reviews and comments, it seems the less they understand how something works, the more they are convinced that the technology is beyond their ability to understand it.

The products seem like such obvious frauds because they rely on technology that does not/can not exist. It seems like the consumer would need to believe that the greatest physicists and electrical engineers in the world are making Nobel worthy advances to science and only using them to further their never ending quest to make Huey Lewis & The News sounds just a little bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
My favorite part of this thread remains the audiophiles trashing the professional musician with perfect pitch because he just didn't have a good enough ear to hear what they were hearing. Playing music is a whole different skill set from listening to music apparently.