Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

TheMadMilkman posted:

I hate to say this, but I really want a set of those. Not because they do anything, but because of how they look. It's so neat and tidy.

Here, a super awesome looking DIY speaker cables that will cost you under $100 for the set:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94203

They perform no better then $20 radio shack speaker wire, but look 1000x better, and I'll gladly pay the money for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Reel to reel is indeed alive and well in the audiophile world. I'm not a big fan of it myself because they require a large footprint and more care then vinyl. Go over to audiokarma and read the tape forum for some good info/laughs.

Going back to the dual mono debate, from what I understand the biggest advantage is better stereo separation and being able to pump more power per channel. A McIntosh MC275 produces 75 watts per channel in stereo mode, or if you have two you can get 150 watts per channel in dual mono mode.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I bought one of these yesterday on ebay:

(Minus the record player, if I could find one of those though I'd grab it.)

This purchase veers a bit more into audiophile range then I normally would go, but the raw stats on this receiver are impressive. 165 wpc, dual mono system with a power supply for each channel. Vintage audiophiles love to say that this is one of the best solid state receivers ever built.

I tend to agree that older receivers sound a lot better then the majority of newer ones, especially for 2 channel audio. I wouldn't use this to power my home theater system, but it'll be great in my office/listening room.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Very nice! Do you stick with vintage speakers as well, and if so, what are you running?

I'd like to stick with vintage speakers when possible, but the truth is that I think most modern speakers do just as well if not better then the classics, and require none of the work. The only major advantage vintage speakers offer is the chance to get a killer deal.

Right now I'm running a set of B&W DM110s, which will be...completely inappropriate for the Concept. Unfortunately my music budget has run out for the next month or so, but I will being to start looking for a set that can handle the Concept.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ugh, this thread:

quote:

A friend an I were having a discussion about our beloved stereos, when it occurred to us how cheap hard drive space is now. Up until now, I've been ripping all my CD's into the MP4 format at 320kps just for casual listening and iPod use. When I want to have an listening session, however, I dig out the actual CD and drop it into my nice Marantz SACD/CD player.

Well, now I'm thinking that I could just drag and drop the AIFF or WAV files right off of the CD into iTunes or other music program, and plug the computer into the stereo.

What we are wondering is, what is the difference in quality. I have a $500 Marantz SACD player. With a normal CD (not an SACD), would it sound better coming off of the hard drive since there is no laser involved? I'm assuming, or course, that ripping the music onto a hard drive uses better error correction since it doesn't have to do it on the fly while it's playing music, but that's an uneducated guess.

That brings us to the DAC question. Let's suppose that the computer has a digital output that we could plug a DAC into. I'm guessing that it comes down to what is a better DAC- the Marantz or the stand alone one that I plug into the computer.

One more thing to consider would be the application that's reading the files, right? For instance, how well does iTunes read and interpret the information? Would the music sound better coming from a different application?

quote:

Thanks for your reply!

Actually, I'm thinking of not "ripping" the CDs at all. I was going to drag the audio files right off of the discs onto the HHD- keep them in their native formats from the CD itself, which should be AIFF files or WAV.

My reasoning is, then they should sound exactly the same as if I threw the CD into my Marantz. That is, unless a computer application like iTunes does a worse job of reading the file information than the Marantz.

How about this- there are many applications out there that play music files. Do some sound better than others, or do they all use the same audio engine and leave the sound part up to the DAC?

quote:

I'm a little confused about that. Maybe it's a PC vs Mac thing, but when I pop a CD into my Mac, I can see the actual audio files. They always show up as large AIFF files. For instance, I just checked a CD on my friends mac, and track one is a 84.4MB AIFF audio file- that's definitely not a reference file.

A CD can hold up to what, 740MB right? Let's say, for the sake of simple math, that the average CD is holding 700MB of music info. I have about 800 CD's at home, so that's about 560,000 MB's of files, which is 560 gigs. I can run two 1.5 terabyte drives in a raid for under $500 these days.

That's why I want to avoid ripping all together- keep it at REAL cd quality. But, like rmeade mentioned, when you play them off of a high quality CD player the best possible digital experience... ?

I do know this. There have been CDs that had a skip in them when I played them on a Bose Wave radio, but played great in my computer. Hmmmm

quote:

I am using Windows Media Player on my IBM ThinkPad. I purchased an HRT MusicStreamer USB DAC and a 500 GB Seagate external hard drive. I rip my CDs in the WAV Lossless mode. This combination sounds as good as any cdp I have ever heard.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

willd58 posted:

What is wrong with this?

He is probably a guy who thinks he can tell a difference between flac and wav.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

madprocess posted:

Actually he switched from ripping to 320 kbps MP4 to just ripping the straight wav file representation of the CD. It probably sounds slightly better, all lossless stuff does sound slightly better than lossy.

Yes but ripping and using straight wav is really stupid.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

madprocess posted:

Eh, hard drive space is cheap and anything will play a WAV. It's not like FLAC is really significantly smaller.

Unless something has changed, wavs have no real tagging system and would make managing a music collection a nightmare.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Laughing at stupid people:

People reviewing the $195 CD Mat

From the site posted:

Marigo Labs
Manufacturer of Audio/Video cables, power conditioner and other tuning products from Portland, Oregon has been around for many years. The latest version of the MARIGO AUDIO SIGNATURE 3-D V2 MAT for CD & DVD utilizes a revolutionary and proprietary gold surface on top of anti-static black coating and optically absorbent green. This synergistically creates a new level of performance for both audio and video digital replay.

With the MARIGO AUDIO SIGNATURE 3-D V2 MAT in a CD transport or a DVD player, you will see and hear a dramatic improvement. Inner detail, resolution, and ambient information is enhanced tremendously in audio replay. The harmonic structure of instruments and human voice are revealed to be strikingly more lifelike.

quote:

This thing actually does seem to make a difference - just did some blind tests with Lori as the listener - we agree that it makes a difference, and we're both consistent in our preferences. Opposite, though - she prefers the sound without the mat, and I prefer it with. Will try it for a few more days before sending it on. I really, really did not want to believe this could matter ...

quote:

I would describe the sound as a bit darker, with deep bass a bit more obvious, and more depth/spatiality to the sound. Not a huge difference, but surprising and worthwhile.

quote:

Thanks again Ken.
I didn't really take notes, but upon first play with the mat, It was pretty obvious to me that the lows seemed deeper & tighter. I tried a couple ofther CD's that I'm familiar with and generally had the same results.
I even enlisted the family to try and see if it was just me.
Strawomen likes both kinds of music. Country & Western.
We put on some Reba McIntyre while she was unaware of when the mat was in or not. She said that it was "deeper. and fuller" every time the mat was in the tray.
My son stated that he could hear no difference while testing.
It was a little difficult doing the A/B thing. I used a Denon DCD-1500 and it seemed finicky about loading when the mat was in place sometimes.
All in all, a fun little experiment, and while I don't listen to CD's much, I think I would rather have one and possibly get some benefit, than not.
Steve

quote:

I liked it well enough that I bought the new "Signature 3D" version. I think I'm in love ... seriously, a very worthwhile improvement, though I can't say I'm too impressed with Marigo's own explanation for how and why it works. I wish I understood how it can make a difference at all, but I've gotten over feeling silly about buying the thing and am just enjoying what it does for the sound in my system. I will say, though, that the degree of improvement is highly disc-dependent.

More like you realize in your gut you wasted $200 and are trying to justify it to yourself.

quote:

On my main system (Adcom GFA 545, GFP 555 II, Vandersteen 2C's, and Marantz CD 5001), I was only able to try the soft rubber mat. The rigid Marigo mat would not allow the drawer to close. There was a perceptible difference in sound quality with the rubber mat on all CD's, most significantly with the bass. It seemed more defined and a bit tighter. Where I found the most improvement was with burned CD's, the improvement was tremendous .

I was able to try both mats in my bedroom system (Denon DCD-620, Yamaha CR-640 and New Advents), as the Denon's drawer was deep enough to allow the Marigo mat. Head to head there was slightly better tonal quality to the Marigo mat, but both were better in improving bass, with the Marigo mat's impact reaching up into the lower midrange.

To be fair to AK, most posts in the thread are skeptical, but you can see the stupid audiophile gears in their head working overtime to justify getting one.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

I wonder how many audiophiles are going to be chomping at the bit after these statements?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8368895.stm

logictech is already cornering that market with it's $2000 audiophile Squeezebox

quote:

High-accuracy digital sound

Digital music sounds the way it was meant to with low jitter throughout the system.

Jitter. For streaming audio.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I also find it funny how audiophiles are more then willing to take apart poo poo to fix any perceived problems but seem to be incapable of hooking a good computer+soundcard to their stereo.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Nah, that's a wired device. Show me a killer Nic wireless model.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Stares At Floor posted:

Those aren't picks those are pics.

Definition of pick -
pick
1  /pɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pik] Show IPA

–verb (used with object)
1. to choose or select from among a group: to pick a contestant from the audience.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Every audiophile has never taken a physics/chemistry class outside of high school.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Basically it's how well a system is able to project "where" a particular instrument is. Audiophiles spout that you should be able to pick out where each instrument is and have it be exactly like it was recorded. While that idea works for recordings of classical pieces performed by a symphony, it starts to fall apart for modern rock recordings.

It's a real effect but a lot of it is introduced in the mastering as opposed to "Capturing the original performance." A good sound stage is important but you don't need thousands of dollars of equipment to get one.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

proudfoot posted:

I'm setting up a website for just this, and to debunk lovely audiophile things. I'm an undergrad studying electrical engineering, and I have access to all sorts of fancy gear that I can guarantee are far superior to human hearing.

PM me if you'd like to help.

Your science and logic will not deter these people. Instead of trying to persuade them, you should make the site more educational for the normal guy who might get suckered into these snake oil deals by seedy salesmen or their greasy audiophile friend.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

fishmech posted:

Monster makes gold-tipped iPod sync and charge cables man.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-iCharger-Charger-Firewire/dp/B0000918U2

* Exclusive Smart Digital Charger technology ensures fast, accurate charges and maximizes battery life
* Unique, innovative flush-mount design for a compact appearance
* 3-stage LED charge indicator light lets you know charging stage status
* 24k gold contracts for optimum power transfer and corrosion resistance
* Includes convenient 10-foot cord

$46

Where on earth do you have to live where corrosion is a problem that plagues your electronics?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

That's not a terrible price for an accessory for an Apple product that's almost 10 years old.

And I actually deal with corrosion on audio connectors all the time. Even TT/TRS jacks that -never- touch water start needing some burnishing after a while

I'm constantly digging through vintage electronics from the 60s-70s and rarely see corroded connectors.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Are you arguing whether metal corrodes? I just pulled this out of my trash. It's only a year or so old, but quit making a reliable connection due to corrosion.

(I didn't solder that. It's ugly but was functional before it met the elements.)

I know metal corrodes, but not as fast or as much as Monster would lead you to believe.

Seriously do you live on the sea or something?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Sports TV. I put lots of expensive equipment out in the weather. I replace a lot of connectors like that, especially during baseball season with long homestands in the humidity.

So basically you're comparing your experience with equipment that has to sit outside and bear the elements vs a cable that will most likely never leave the computer desk. That's what snake oil salesmen do my friend.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Elentor posted:

Noise Cancelator Detonator: This PCI board will actively cancel all the noise going in inside your computer.

No lies noise was my biggest loving problem with my computer. It was so back my sound card was picking up high frequency noises from my mouse. A separate sound card fixed my problems.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Do you have audio from your motherboard? this is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Devian666 posted:

He's speaking in audio feng shui. I'm concerned that the racks would remove the black from my black metal. :black101:

Audiophiles do not listen to black metal.