Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Audiot
May 18, 2006
Brilliant Pebbles!
Just tape the little bag of rocks and sand to whatever needs to sound better.

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina17.htm

Also, component dampening. I'm just not into music enough to fill something I spent money on with calk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audiot
May 18, 2006

Sunesis posted:

Ear Candles

:psyduck:
I've known audio guys who have gone down that path. If you're going to get that deep into it I would think you would go to an audiologist and get your ears flushed. As a friend put it, "you'll be able to hear squirrels talking".

This also falls into the guys that wear earplugs to preserve their hearing. I won't wear ear plugs when I drive so that I can take them out once in a while to make my stereo/ recording sound better.

Audiot
May 18, 2006

kuffs posted:

My receiver already has a 'turn off display' feature :smug:

If I remember right, that feature is supposed to draw less from the power supply and cause less noise in the system overall. Whatever. I have seen conversions to systems to run off all battery power in order to cut out power supply ripple/ noise induced into the system. I'm not into it enough to have to charge car batteries to listen to some tunes.

I've also witnessed people arguing over having identical speaker cable lengths. The got to the point that we had to calculate out the delay in a 25' cable vs. a 50' cable to prove to the guy that he wouldn't be able to hear the difference and that no phasing or comb filtering would be caused by that. This was on a concert system, BTW.

It's amazing how many issues there are with systems that are overlooked in favor of going out and spending money on "long strand cable". The other one I have always liked is installing hospital grade plugs. Your house/ apartment is wired with good old romex, so how can changing the edison plug to a new fancy one with a green triangle on it really be that much better. I have yet to hear of someone rewiring their listening room circuits with fancy cable. Come to think of it, who wants in on the ground floor of a company making/ selling audiophile grade circuit breakers? Untapped market here!

Audiot
May 18, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

How is preserving your hearing a bad thing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hearing protection, and I'm pretty religious about wearing plugs (custom molds :smug:) or a noise reducing headset for concerts. I'm not willing to drive around with shotgun plugs in though.

Back on topic...

Any thoughts on speaker doping? It's probably not with the spirit of the thread, but I have heard differences after someone painted some secret glue onto their speaker cones. At the same time a set of drivers were made to sound worse by some other glue mixture. I guess this has to do with DIY and experimentation, but I don't like the idea of ruining my gear in order to have the chance that it might sound a little better. Diminishing returns, I guess.

Audiot
May 18, 2006
The sickness finally has a name: audiophilia. The timing is just too good and feels almost like some reverse troll.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,824654,00.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audiot
May 18, 2006

Behold! For those of us stuck in the past using physical media Furutech has come to our rescue. You can throw out your old and lovely SK-II and order the new and improved SK-III. Now with 10% more Corona discharge fibers! This piece you will remove 300-500v of Frictional Static Discharge on CD's! I have no idea what any of this means, but if it's good enough for the Japanese police force, then it's got to be amazing and not bull poo poo at all.

http://www.furutech.com/2014/08/06/9773/

Audiot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 25, 2014