Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Audiot posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hearing protection, and I'm pretty religious about wearing plugs (custom molds :smug:) or a noise reducing headset for concerts. I'm not willing to drive around with shotgun plugs in though.

Back on topic...

Any thoughts on speaker doping? It's probably not with the spirit of the thread, but I have heard differences after someone painted some secret glue onto their speaker cones. At the same time a set of drivers were made to sound worse by some other glue mixture. I guess this has to do with DIY and experimentation, but I don't like the idea of ruining my gear in order to have the chance that it might sound a little better. Diminishing returns, I guess.

Undoped speakers will resonate weirdly at certain frequencies. It can be cool sounding for guitar amps when you're slamming the poo poo out of an undoped speaker and it's howling these weird harmonics along with you, but for audiphile listening I doubt that is a desirable quality. Too much doping will alter the transient response of a speaker, making it less sensitive and less "punchy", for lack of a better word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU