Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If I'm about a year out from finishing my master's program and I apply to Foreign Service Officer program and get accepted, then what happens? Will they let me finish my degree? (Assuming that I get accepted in less than a year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Signed up for Oct FSOT. I put in for Management. I know I can't change it now.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

coffee! posted:

Made it to the OA—should be fun, it’s been a few years since my last one, which I would think most likely helps, but who knows.

Just got promoted to GS-15, but I firmly believe that the FS would be worth the pay cut—at least that’s the reasoning I’m deluding myself with.

Congrats. Good luck. But yeah GS-15 is pretty high up. You're basically a deputy to SES in most positions right? Without getting too specific which part of government do you work in?

I'm in non profit FFRDC world but looking to laterally move into gov at GS-12/13. Also is it natural to take a pay cut when moving into gov from private? Is bargaining level and step for salary purposes even a thing?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Yeah if I pick up FSO I would also get a 20-30k pay cut. But I'm old enough to know that money isn't everything.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Bruxism posted:

Sorry should have posted this sooner. DS Special Agent vacancy announcement. Happy to answer any questions people may have.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512679700

Do you have to be a jacked ex special forces type to compete for this job? I'm ex military, was a navy officer.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Tyro posted:

Nope, you're good as long as you're reasonably in shape. Our PRT (currently, rumor is it might change) is based on the Navy PRT.

How does location assignment work for a DS position like this?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Passed the FSOT. Was pleasantly surprised. 164/6. Now two weeks to submit PN.

Anyone know if FSO hiring numbers are going up this year?

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 27, 2018

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

want back on the federal teat? You welfare queens are all the same

Lol don't give a poo poo about the low pay that DOS gives out. Ironically I'd be making way more if I had stayed in as a career military officer. Need a mission and excitement, just not the Navy type.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Tyro posted:

Yeah... working on it. It's just crazy to me that I'll be 40% of the way to retirement by the time I finish my first overseas assignment.

Are you FSS? I thought FSOs are mostly overseas.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

TCD posted:

Depends on the FSS though.

Edit, also I'm not 02, just know what they make when overseas and it's pretty decent. FS03 all the way over is also pretty good

Yeah it seems like if you're willing to live below means (I know unfathomable in today's world) then anything over 100k is decent living salary in most places. Yes even DC area, where I am working right now.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

fantastic in plastic posted:

Suppose someone lives in a state where marijuana is legal and they've used it. Would this necessarily disqualify them from being able to join the Foreign Service?

Don't know about DOS but in DOD clearance process you must have stopped using it for at least 7 months or something like that. The official line of the government is that it acknowledges marijuana is legal in certain states but it's still schedule I (illegal) for federal government. Plus you will be routinely piss tested in most gov positions. If you pop they don't care that it's legal in DC or Colorado etc...

With that said as other posters have said, don't lie on the SF86 about it. If you do and they find out then you will completely lose your chance to get cleared.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Passed QEP. Got invite for management FSOA.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Passed QEP in Dec. OA scheduled for March this year.

I think what helped me with my PN's was having two very good writers that know me well review them. I'm also a veteran and was able to use a solid professional story from my mil career to answer the questions.

As for the FSOA it's so general I don't know if you can study for it effectively. I took it blind and passed with an average score.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Are many FSOs veterans?

I don't think it's any different than other government or private sector jobs. Veterans do get 0.17 point bonus after they are placed on the register.

The thing is military has Foreign Area Officer career paths that attract a lot of people who might have applied to the FS. Basically they remain officers but focus on geographic areas and serve at high level HQ staffs and Pentagon as regional experts and diplomatic military liaisons. They also may serve as military attache or embassy military staff.

Honestly if I would have staid in and become a FAO then I would get better pay and benefits, but I don't have a IR Political Science background with language and area expertise, so FS is a better shot for me.

What is your background?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

TCD posted:

A colleague couldn't get his clearance until he renounced a citizenship. Just saying, that may/may not be a deal breaker on this side too.

IT was the same case in the military. Military buddies going up for TS/SCI had to renounce their citizenship.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Slaan posted:

Passed the FSOT again :toot:

Hopefully I'll get to OA again this time as well

Congrats. Any tips for the OA? I got mine coming up.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Any last minute advice on the FSOA? I've done a live practice session off of the yahoo group. Will be reviewing the flow and format of the OA again.

Is there a competitive element during the Group Exercise? With limited time I feel like it's important to speak more and be heard more without being overbearing or an rear end in a top hat. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

How do Consulor Fellow jobs work? When I see it on USAJobs it shows "many vacancies" but I'm trying to target a specific (niche) country where I have language skills.