Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cernunnoswired
Jun 13, 2009
Hey so this thread has really got me interested in being an FSO. I've been doing research and managed to find a torrent for a Test Prep book. I wouldn't be able to apply for a couple of years but I had some questions if somebody wouldn't mind answering.

I'm about to move to Korea to teach English and I plan on learning Korean while there. I'm a linguistics major and one of my hobbies is learning languages. Will this experience plus language ability help make me more competitive?

Second question, if I've read this thread correctly, there is a higher standard for more competitive cones. Could someone clarify what that means? I'd be interested in either the political or consular cone. Do you need to do better on the test, ie score wise, to pass for the political cone vs the consular cone? Do they expect a person to be different personality wise for the political cone vs the consular? Can anyone shed some light on how exactly they evaluate who makes the cut?

Thanks!

cernunnoswired fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cernunnoswired
Jun 13, 2009
I took the FSOT in March as a result of reading this thread and I passed. I'm in the process of writing the QEP. I had a change of heart in the cone I want to apply for but I don't expect to be hired anyway; I just want the experience of the process.

This thread is great!

edit: was consular but would like to change to public diplomacy

cernunnoswired fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 31, 2010