Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Does anyone know if FSI is reopening next week? Sure would be nice to be able to report for language training. The email was a bit unclear. I know a lot of the instructors are contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I got the same email later in the day. Hooray!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Same, high fives all around! And I didn't even write an EER this year. :shrug:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Business of Ferrets posted:

Everyone I rated got promoted this time!

That's gotta be a great feeling.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congratulations. Put a lot of effort into the next step of the process because it's where a lot of folks get cut.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Thankfully I'm not bidding this year. But my bureau isn't even doing the first round of (non-SIP-bidder) handshakes for 2 more weeks.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Stay safe, Goons. We are sheltering in place at post for the time being...

That was my plan too. The uncertainty at our post started getting to my wife. We took the AD option. I wanted to stay at post but my section head convinced me to leave with my family. Two days of travel to get home. Hope it was the right call.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

nurabsal posted:

Good news! I got into the US Foreign Service!

Mixed news! This pandemic has done some things to class dates...

Congrats, hope the class cancellations haven't messed you up too badly in terms of providing notice to your current employer/planning your next moves.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
A friend just got a mortgage on a house thru SDFCU from post, because they are willing to write it as a primary residence even if you're not going to occupy immediately, since they "get" our lifestyle. He said it was like pulling teeth and they were incredibly incompetent through the process, that their internal communication between departments/employees was non-existent. Even though he saved a good bit on the interest rate he said next time he'll use a different bank.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Maybe Peace Corps, USAID, or a group like Doctors without borders?

The only State job I'm personally aware of is RMOP (Regional medical officer psychiatrist) which I think requires a MD or DO. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's some niche specialty I don't know.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I've gotten scheduled for oral (and written?) examinations in Virginia in November for a Security officer position. What should I expect?

Just to double check, this is for Security Engineering Officer (SEO) like you said in the other thread, right? If you just say Security Officer people might assume you mean a DS Agent position.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

zzonkmiles posted:

What do you do when you want to stay in cone and are looking at the bid list and don't like most of what you see there? What is the minimum number of bids we need (bidding CA) in order to be compliant?

I think it's 5 at grade bids. The summer 2021 bidding instructions cable came out a few days ago, it has all the details. I'm really not looking forward to bidding this time around.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

The list is terrible for me this year - for the bureaus where I stand the best chance of getting a job, all the jobs that I want are either unaccompanied or the most heavily bid jobs in the bureau this year. There's very little in the middle. And if by some miracle I get promoted, it's actually even worse - lots more jobs, but I'll be competitive for precisely none of them as a new promotee.

Yeah kind of the same here (except I unexpectedly got promoted last year). I'm going to have to finish out my current tour unaccompanied due to the pandemic, so I'm not going to follow it up with a SIP, which was the original plan. We decided that was too much time away from the family.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

drat, sorry to hear about the separation, brother. I was facing the same thing and seriously considering curtailing. Directly i managed to sneak my family back and we plan to hunker down for our final year here. Smart move calling the SIP. I'll be in DC next year most likely. Be around? Been a while.

Ha yeah it's been a bit. Next year depends how bidding goes I guess. I'll shoot you an email!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

Congrats goon(s?)

Saw at least one of our names floating around.

Same! Only recognized one goon this time but well deserved.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

May the bidding odds be ever in your favor!

My list looks a bit better than I was expecting.

Curious what it will look like after all the SIP handshakes.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That sucks Chavi, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm bidding on a non-DC domestic job that's near where the family is on AD. The rest of the list is going to be fairly competitive overseas gigs. So I'll probably get the domestic one. Wasn't the plan before the pandemic, and it probably won't help me get promoted, but it'll all work out if that's what happens.

Good luck Xelkelvos!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Wow only 2 of my 10 bids got taken by the SIP panel. I was expecting at least half of them to go.

I'm probably gonna end up domestic anyways. :(

Is SDFCU a total dumpster fire for everything or just lending? Everyone I talk to who has used them for things like mortgages has absolutely horrible feedback. I don't have an account but am considering opening one.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

You got what'sapp?

Yeah man. PM sent

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My strategy of bidding on a non-supervisory, non-career enhancing domestic job that nobody wants appears to be paying off.

:shepface:

Nothing concrete of course yet, but it sounds like it's probably a done deal.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Really?
I know I didn't do that well on it, but is it really that obvious from the score?

Yes, you would have received a conditional job offer at the end of the OA if you had made it. Sorry, that sucks.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Check out today's cables from Ankara - one of my subordinates got a Queen joke into a cable title. I'm so proud I could burst.

Didn't get it in my phone, I'll have to check in the morning.

Meanwhile EERs continue to suck. I PCS in 2 days and don't have a reviewer statement yet. Despite being told 6 weeks ago that it was a :airquote:priority:airquote: because I'm leaving soon.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Never leave post with an unfinished EER.

Must be a monkey fist out there with a curled fingat.

Lucky me, my pre travel Covid test popped hot so I'm stuck at post for another week, which will give me time to finish this EER.

The family's been without me on SMA for 6 months already, what's another week, right?

gently caress my life.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Jesus, I am so sorry. Get well soon, and feel free to remind your boss "JFC I have Covid!" if s/he's still being a poo poo about your EER.

Well all's well that ends well I suppose, I'm back in the US, my EER was rammed through and described as "very strong" by the SFS chair panel, and my boss put me in for a MHA.

Now preparing to get eviscerated by the housing and vehicle market and wait who knows how long for my UAB, HHE, and POV. :shepface:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congratulations!

Those two are both very popular, almost everyone I've discussed insurance with has one or the other, and you probably won't go wrong either way.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Congrats! Glad you survived it all, prepare for reintegration and financial ruin!

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Holy crap.

I assumed you were joking but now I'm not so sure.

:shepspends:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Oh, you sweet summer child. . . .

Well this paycheck is where I lost my SMA and post diff, and ouch. Big cut. And buying a house has been super fun let me tell you.

But honestly the part that hurts most is the delayed HHE/POV due to COVID shenanigans.

My packout was just shy of 2 months ago and I left post a month ago. My stuff is still at post. They don't have a ship scheduled for it, they are hoping to have it depart in late June. Which means we will be without furniture and the car until probably September, and my transfer allowance will be well expired by then. I already bought one car but we really will need two once I start work in a couple weeks.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Slaan posted:

State HR ain't great

Global talent manglement.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Hoping everybody subject to it's whims had good luck with experimental bid robot

Seriously, I am super curious to hear how this went, it seems like a good idea which I assume means we will implement it poorly and all the bureaus will try to fight it

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Wow, this thread has been slow recently. Hope everyone is doing well.

If anyone comes thru FACT in the next 2 years or so, hit me up and we can get lunch or coffee or something.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Lol mine is trash this year but it's already through panel. Maybe next year...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
If you look at the stats, despite being eligible, I'm still 6+ years away from being competitive for my 2. But the longer I'm in, the less I care! I am gonna be annoyed when I reach the point where step increases aren't every year, though.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nutrimentia posted:

What’s third week of April look like?

I'm getting ready to PCS, but I should be around. :)

Also same. I've only met a couple of you all in person.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

Rolling through Rosslyn at some point? Swing by my office and I'll fix you a cup of coffee.

Sounds good, I'll be doing consultations in May!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nutrimentia posted:

Week of April 17 I'll be crashing and banging.

Thanks for grabbing lunch with me! Always fun to meet folks from the thread.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Current status, in an airport bar on my way home for R&R from my SIP post.

Life is good.

Good luck with bidding, everyone. I am dreading it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

NOW list gave a lot of gifts to DS Agents this year. Might take another look and see if you can jump on sometime before the first Summer 2024 panel.

I'll do that, thanks. The spots that were on the NOW last time I looked, the TEDs didn't really line up for me.

I'll likely be shooting you another email in the next week or two...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Enjoy your leave, friend! I am also dreading bidding, as well as the 1 September email of doom. So I'm just... not looking? There's no way this can end poorly.

I've done 3 rounds of mid level bidding so far and always gotten my top choice (bidding on unpopular assignments is a strategy!) so I'm sure it's about time for the system to crush my dreams.

While technically I've been eligible for promotion for a few years now, I doubt it is happening for another 4-5 years at least, based on the assignments I've chosen. And I'm content with that. Actually, in about 4 years would be perfect, because that's when my step increases start slowing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I've been in for 10 years now (time flies!) and I sent the link to my wife saying she should apply so that she could come in and immediately outrank me. She laughed, as expected, because she has no desire to make a career at DOS.