Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013
So I managed to make it to the OA. Any tips for the memo section or any good ways to practice it? Are there any benefits for taking it in July or October? I have more questions but I'm on vacation and typing this in a kindle is a pain. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013
Also, what would be a score on the OA that would likely make it to an A-100 class? I'm in the consular cone, which I've heard has a large number of candidates on the list. I'm assume that if I get a 5.25 then I should probably take it again next February...

This will be a stressful 3 months.

Edited- fair enough

cramerthegr8 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 17, 2013

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013
So are there any good tips or strategies that helped yinz make it through the OA? I think the writing section will be the hardest section for me.

Diplomaticus posted:

Although 5.25 is technically the cutoff for passing, your baseline score on the OA (not including any bonus points or adjustments) is in .1 increments, so 5.3 is the minimum passing score.

That's actually really good to know.

Thanks!

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013
So yesterday I passed the oral assessment with a 5.4. How likely is that to get me off the list. I'm in the consular cone and have no languages.

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013

zzonkmiles posted:

Congratulations! If you're in the DC area, let your registrar know you are available on short notice. Sometimes there are last-minute cancellations and they need to fill the spot quickly. I have no idea what the Consular register is like nowadays, but it sounds like you may need a backup candidacy. Not totally hopeless, but probably not high enough to get excited about packing your bags either.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure if Pittsburgh is considered DC adjacent, but I could probably leave here quick enough. Yeah, that's what kind of sucks about the score. Kind of hard to feel happy about it. I'm planning on taking the test again next Feb to try to improve it.

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013
So I recently accepted A-100 training (July) and I'm looking through the healthcare plans. I'm currently deciding between Blue Cross Blue Shield and the Foreign Service Benefits Plan. Any advice on which to choose? I'm leaning right now towards FSBP.

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013

Business of Ferrets posted:

One upside to BCBS overseas is that all services are considered in-network. I say this not in comparison to FSBP, which has great overseas coverage, but just because it is not intuitive and mentioned like just once in the plan literature.

You’ll have to confirm, but I believe the BCBS Standard plan has access to CVS/Caremark online prescription management but the Basic plan does not. Although it technically is possible to get by without this, getting prescriptions filed and filled is infinitely easier with it. Just another thing to keep in mind when comparison shopping.

Thanks for this. I was a bit confused about whether BCBS had international coverage (it looks like 13,000 providers). FSBP has direct billing with 200 overseas providers. A friend of mine has FSBP and said their system is a bit clunky and communication is a pain when you have to call from halfway around the world.

The prescription plans seem kind of similar, though BCBS has cheaper generics but higher % for other tiers. People generally don't have issues getting medications to post, do they? That's a big worry for me since my fiancé has a lot of prescriptions.

I'm going to have to look into this more. The price difference between the two is pretty crazy ( $387 for FSBP and $608 for BCBS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013

Blooregard posted:

I went with FSBP, works pretty well. Plus, I think we’re up to 42 free massages per year!

They're free (also, it's up to 50 now)? I read up to $60 a session, but I guess free is less than. I was confused by this. Are these normal massages, or like physical therapy massages? I saw it also included acupuncture, which is something I never thought I'd consider.