Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Gobbeldygook posted:

There's a dedicated buttcoin thread in YOSPOS if you want to follow the weird and terrible world of Bitcoin and ICOs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325&pagenumber=999

One of the regulars just published an anti-hype book.

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-50-Foot-Blockchain-Contracts-ebook/dp/B073CPP581/

Hahaha David Gerard, the guy who wrote that book is an old friend. I had no idea he was a goon. What's his name here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

zzonkmiles posted:

I am loving my time in AF so far. I think I'll come back for another tour. Anybody here been posted to Zimbabwe or Tanzania?

Both are, from what I understand, great posts. I can't speak to Zim but Dar is actually really nice (traffic notwithstanding).

The current Ambo in Zim (Harry Thomas) was in Manila 2010-2013, I think when a couple of goons were there (Skandiaavity maybe?), they could tell you more.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

The Mantis posted:

CA is staying with State, and CA is the money maker.

Is that actually settled? Because last I heard, moving it to DHS was still a priority for both Kelly and Risch.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I mean, anecdotally there are enough stories of people answering almost exactly the same between years and having different results, to imply that it's a total crapshoot and hiring vs. attrition plays probably as great of a role as your personal performance/strength as a candidate.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

zzonkmiles posted:

How tight are you with your A-100 class? Do you guys still keep in touch or have you kinda splintered off?

Our class is maybe 10% no longer in the FS, and the email on our class listserv has dropped off quite a bit, but there are still periodic meetups when people are in DC. Since leaving the FS I've met up with a few others for dinner/drinks, so I wouldn't say we "splintered off", we're definitely still in touch.

That said there are a handful of people from A-100 who I literally have not heard from in 5+ years.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well I got PNG'd from Russia. I'm back in the states now.

This was a pretty exciting way to end my first post!

Happened to one of my A-100 classmates in his first post too (from Venezuela). Sorry to hear it, but at least you've got a cool story!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Nutrimentia posted:

I've picked up a few names of goons over the years but have lost track of who is who. I'd like to try again to connect via work; it's feels kind of like Eyes Wide Shut in that I know that I know some of you but I don't know who you are here. 1of7 is the only person I've met and I know TCD well; advance apologies for not being able to keep the rest of y'all in my head.

I was in your A-100.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

zzonkmiles posted:

Do you think you'll ever want to become reinstated or are you content with leaving the FS behind?

I'm content with it 90% of the time, and 10% of the time I really miss it and want back in. It lasts for a day or two and then something or another happens that will make me realize how much happier I am doing other things.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Nutrimentia posted:

Yeah, mon, I know. You were the first one to leave too, I think.

Ah ok, wasn't sure if you remembered through the name changes who I was. Second to leave, I think, after Bob.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How does the overall scoring work? If you pass all 3 tests and the OA do you get an aggregate score of all 3 tests+OA as your "register score" or whatever? I always see people posting like "I'm on the register with a 5.7" or something like that.

They're referring to their final OA score, which is an aggregate of the scores you get during the OA on your interview, group exercise, and memo. The scores prior to that point don't matter for the register. Below a 5.3 is an auto-fail and you're not even placed on the register. Everything above that point gets placed on that register in rank/date order, and hiring selections are made from the top down (meaning it's very likely candidates on the low end of "passing" will never be hired if their scores aren't competitive enough and will expire off the register after 18 months).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Spacewolf posted:

Non-FSO outsider, hope nobody minds, asking:

So....what the hell do they do on CODELs anyway? Like, I know about the drinking and whoring and partying, what kinda official poo poo does one do with a CODEL?

Depends on what the CODEL is. Sometimes it's a regional tour, sometimes it's specific to a single issue in a single country. If it's the former, you find out what they're interested and set them up some meetings and tours (their staff usually will tell you ), and go from there. If it's the latter, you build your schedule around meetings to support that particular issue. In either scenario, one of the 1st or 2nd tour officers is going to get stuck babysitting the spouses/families, so better brush up on good shopping/tourism locations.

But 90% of it is some variation of "arrange a meeting, a tour, a cultural engagement, or attend a conference/speaking event." Followed by logistics.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
One of my ARSOs was an RPCV.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
It's mildly disturbing that this thread has been through multiple shutdowns. Not threats, actual shutdowns. We're up to 3.5 actual shutdowns and I have no idea how many narrow misses anymore.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

nurabsal posted:

Good news! I got into the US Foreign Service!

The goonmind grows ever stronger.

1of7 posted:

I signed up for the $10 when I joined. They had the worst website I'd ever seen and seemed way more focused on domestic employees than FS so I finally closed my account.

I didn't have a negative experience with them, but I didn't find anything that they did better than USAA, and agree they cared more about domestic employees.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Since the future of the forums are in doubt, should we set up a Discord or something?

They are?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Xelkelvos posted:

They didn't provide a breakdown which is why I'm confused as to how someone immediate figured it was the oral portion that I failed at.

I think a couple different concepts are being conflated here.

The overall application process is linear. The written test comes before the personal narratives, which come before the oral assessment. Since you referenced the 5.25 threshold, that's referring to the oral assessment portion (the other portions are graded on different scales). Within the oral assessment, there were (back when I took the exam/wrote the OP) three sections: the group exercise (GE) section, the case management (CM) section, and the structured interview (SI) section. You need to get a combined average score of 5.25 across all three to pass the oral assessment (realistically this meant you needed a 5.3 minimum). Since you said you scored a 5, it's just a tautology that you failed the oral. I don't think anyone has specifically implied anything about which section you failed, but it seems like you're reading it as someone suggested it was the SI.

But the original answer still stands -- a fail there is the end of your candidacy on that attempt. Try again next year. Most people don't make it their first try. A pass would have had you moving on to clearances and the register, and hopefully eventually a conditional offer.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

cramerthegr8 posted:

So I recently accepted A-100 training (July) and I'm looking through the healthcare plans. I'm currently deciding between Blue Cross Blue Shield and the Foreign Service Benefits Plan. Any advice on which to choose? I'm leaning right now towards FSBP.

They're both excellent. FSBP is a little more popular while overseas, (when I last had the plan it was a bit simpler and easier to manage) while BCBS was more preferred for domestic assignments, but you'd be fine with either one.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yeah UX design doesn't really overlap; you'd be better off applying as a generalist, and finding opportunities to exploit your UX background from time to time there.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

the_chavi posted:

Fun story friends - get ready to pour out a juice box for Vilerat.

At dinner tonight, my almost 7 year old was telling me about his “team” at school, 9 kids from ages 5-10 who compete with another team of kids (15 of them apparently, same age range) in various playground games like tree climbing, long jump, playing jokes on each other, whatever. He said the leader of his group is the oldest, but he is also fair and listens to the other kids. However, the leader of the other group is the oldest but doesn’t listen to others’ ideas and just tells them what to do. So, obviously, I helped my kid brainstorm ways to peel off the other team’s members and bring them over to his team. Next step is introducing him to using those converts to spy on their original team.

I’m moderately concerned about what shenanigans my 2 year old will come up with when he’s old enough to scheme in a group. This is what happens when diplomats breed…

When his team wins, have him smirk at the other leader and say "The Mittani sends his regards..."

(Probably safer than "Shoot blues...")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
So anyone here looking at doing the LEPP thing?