Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm an undergrad majoring in Policy Analysis at Indiana University's School of Public and Environmental Affairs, and I'm planning on getting an MPA after I graduate. How hard is it to get into the Foreign Service without having any professional experience beyond internships and terrible retail jobs? Should I just plan on working for a few years after grad school before I even have a chance?

Also, this might be a stupid question, but how long is Arabic going to be useful? I know it is a super critical language right now, but do you think it will be in 5 years? How about 10 years?

I also have a few questions about getting the security clearance, but I would rather talk about that over PMs. If anyone wants to answer them, let me know. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
So resumes are the least important part of the process, and it is possible to get onto the oral assessment straight out of grad school?

I'd also like to know about advancement opportunities. I assume that political officers are assigned to more important policy areas as they advance. What about consular officers? Do they literally do visas and American citizen services their whole career?