Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
Everything I've read refers to ambassadors/consulates general as career diplomats (when they are, of course). What cone are they typically from? Management?

Also, what's the burnout rate on FSOs? Obviously there's a limited number of ambassadorships, so not everyone can hope to be one. Do FSOs leave mostly for retirement, or other careers, or another reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
I got my invitation for the June test, and while I'm excited, I don't expect to get in for a variety of reasons. I thought really hard about applying for consular to give me a better chance to get in, but I don't think I'd be happy as a career consular, so I went with political. I also graduate with a bachelor's in December, and I'm only a 2 in German, so I'm mostly taking this for practice.

Good luck to everyone else taking it in June, and congrats to SWATJester for actually making it in!

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
I feel really, really ridiculously good about the FSOT this morning! I finished with an hour left, but that was with checking my answers and adding a paragraph to the essay. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it felt more like a quiz you'd take on Facebook.

Anyway, I didn't see this in this OP, so I thought I'd toss it out. Real Post Reports has a collection of FSO/USAID/expat opinions on life in different countries. It's a pretty good read.

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
I took my test at a community college, so attire was not an issue. They're pretty strict about what you can take in with you - I had only my ID and car key on me and they made me put my car key in a locker.

Good luck to ya'll taking it tomorrow!

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
First time taker and passer. Since this is more of a practice run, I know that next time when the test seems fairly easy, it really is and it's not my imagination. For the PNQs, I assume they expect a different verifier for each question. Is this true?

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
Congrats! It would kick so much rear end if the DoS was overrun by goons.

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
I seriously sweated the management questions and I got one or two, if that. Honestly, if you have read the newspaper for the last year or so, you'll be fine. I read Blink, which I believe is on the management recommended reading, and it was an interesting read but didn't help any.

Also, thanks for the govt thread, SWATJester.

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
I've finished my PNQs too, but I'm waiting for my references to give me the green light. One of them would like to talk about it on the phone first (?!) but we still have almost two weeks. One is also in the middle of her house burning down.

internetstuff, don't worry about it. The experience you get abroad will help you tremendously on the biographical section of the test and in your personal narrative questions, not to mention the bump from a critical language.

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
PNQs are in! Now we wait some more!

In the meantime, I can live vicariously through SWATJester. :allears:

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
Amjur, I can't speak to most of your questions, but I think the general feeling on the study guide is don't. I certainly passed without a study guide, or even most of the books on the recommended reading list. If you keep up with current events, have a firm grasp on American history and culture, and can bs a little management jargon and computer knowledge, you'll be fine.

I just submitted my answers to the QEP and I hope the magic 8 ball works out for me! :unsmith:

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
Good luck, CherryCola and Pompous Rhombus! Perseverance is key in any endeavor, and it's impressive how fast you're getting back on the horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreySkies
Apr 16, 2006
armchair cynic
I failed QEP too. I seriously had my hopes up there for a minute...and it would be nice to have a vague notion of a job after graduation if I could jump a few more hurdles for it. Maybe next year!

What a kick in the balls, SWATJester. Here's hoping you get called up.